GrahamU

GrahamU's 2.0 TFSI with DSG

Alive and Vdubbin today

4 Corrado's were in the show and shine area 1x G60 and 3x 16V, not a VR in sight which surprised me

52140968726_29e0b43128_z.jpg

Didn't take many other photos, which is probably bad but I did like this

52140968711_0dab73a4f8_z.jpg

Edited by GrahamU

And today, made some changes to the front indicators

Take an old headlamp reflector, from a bora in this case

52222917978_4d9028860a_z.jpg

cut it up

52223391470_288d498a63_z.jpg

drill a hole in your good reflector holy grail headlight and glue the new lamp to it

52223391390_969bc08488_z.jpg

which gives you this

52223391465_a2586b43d4_z.jpg

Can still get to it to change

52222917948_56ede21ce1_z.jpg

And looks like this when all back together, click on the pic

52222897876_e684a7a195_z.jpg

Edited by GrahamU

Been away again so not had time to do much on the car but did buy an induction kit from an Audi from a local lad. Some small ammount of cutting and it was made to fit the Corrado so will have a lower intake temp now, not that the temp was that high before, about 5°C above outside temp so will be interesting to see any differences.

52287939268_33e0863a9c_z.jpg

Anyway, while I was away I was playing with this, which was nice

52286961977_9df385a96a_z.jpg

Edited by GrahamU

Small update, the car has sat in the garage since summer, I took my golf out in the rain the other day then put that back in the garage and left it, that seems to have been a bad idea as the floor was wet around it where the water drained off and has made the garage damp, that has resulted in some mould on the Corrado leather steering wheel 😞

52608778012_94d3ebe5b7_z.jpg

Its looking quite sad and dusty in there 😞

52609702535_979de2eb97_z.jpg

on a brighter note, father christmas was kind and bought me some more add ons for my tool boxes

52609546589_0d26e1dbbb_z.jpg

Its almost full already 

I got a spot in the Corrado club GB calendar

52608782407_5345fc33d1_z.jpg

and these arrived today 🙂 a pair of bad boy classic bb6 wingbacks

52609280961_6ac9025d08_z.jpg

Work starts on making some small improvements this weekend to be ready for summer again 

Edited by GrahamU

Nice new seats and look forward to seeing you progress this year. December spot on the calendar is nice, I got the February spot with my white one though I just see its flaws in my picture (though will be resolved in 2023).

Oh my gosh how nice are those seats.... wow. Worth the mould for those bad boys.  You must have been really good for Santa 💪🤣

More shiny parts arrived today

52612427212_ac12d46e84_z.jpg

I didn't have any problems with water temp during our hottest summer on record, but this should be more efficient than the plastic version (45% better claimed) for the step up in power when I map it

Edited by GrahamU

Started working on the problems found whilst driving it over summer, first to tackle was the DTCs found in the DSG for input and output speed sensors

52632784282_e024eb7fc8_z.jpg

52633296101_54fb494d67_z.jpg

52633735225_b69fa3c55d_z.jpg

Stripped the mech from the box and removed the output speed sensor 

I then sent the mech off to be checked out at ecutesting.com for the input speed sensor

Then it went a bit wrong 🤬🤬 The mech was packed in a plastic bag, then in a box with 12mm polystyrene sheets on each side, 90 degree polystyrene corner packing, card board around the speed sensor that sticks out from the main body of the mech, more 90 degree polystyrene across the box to give more strength to the sides to protect the speed sensor, and finally bubble wrap to pack the rest of the space.

All that and DHL managed to break ..... 

52632782017_3a54ce9252_z.jpg

52633551199_743a969a5b_z.jpg

ecu testing have said it needs 2 new solenoids and a new cage, plus the fee for the original repair which has not been confirmed yet.

This has put the cost up to £700 which is a little annoying cos if it had been ok it would have only cost the price for the postage, 

I've told them not to do any more on it and have got another one from a friend to replace it, fingers crossed that is ok 

Edited by GrahamU

So a DSG mech is back in the gearbox with a new speed sensor for good measure, annoyingly I bought a new speed sensor for £100 from VW then found 4 more in various spares boxes in the garage that are probably fully working 🤦‍♂️

As it seems is gonna the way of my luck this year, the oil had not arrived so that is this weekends job so I can power it and see what happens.

I can then refit most of the front end, except I want to make up some solid ali pipes for the intercooler, but again, my bad luck struck and I am now waiting for the TIG welder I bought to arrive, apparently UK stock of this one ran out so they said it will be an extra 7 days to get one from china.... lol

In the mean time, I will work at lowering the shift leaver which should hopefully just need some spacers 🙂

I want to make the interior look better around the shift leaver, this is what it has now

51486824208_7755150680_z.jpg

51496797996_c24ce403e2_z.jpg

But this week I saw this, 

52652103517_8fcb09288f_z.jpg

I know this is from a Frankenstein car worse than mine but it has still made me think it may be possible to work into my design 🙂

Parts bought, watch this space

Edited by GrahamU

Comments were about the paint, I am still working on that and I'll be the first to admit it still needs work, but he walked up to the front looked at it and then said the paint was sh*t, look at that run, then walked off, had no idea about the rest of the work that went into the car cos he could not see past a run in the paint
My body work has rust spots all over it and needs loads doing. Under the bonnet is going to look great however

Personally I think get it running and driving how you want before you start putting cherries on the top.

I remember my old c always getting ignored at shows because people would rather look at a Lupo on Rotiforms. What made me loose my love of the scene. Thankfully. All the cretins have moved onto Audi's and BMWs and the VW scene is slowly starting to heal back into the great community it once was.

I'm just going to be allot more educated on what meets or shows I attend.

Have you ever been to Bicester heritage!? It's awesome.

I think we should try arrange a meet up there at the next scramble!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, EJ Taylor said:

Great thread Graham! Loving it. Just went back through it all. Keep it going!

Thanks, been alot of twists and turns but getting there 🙂

2 hours ago, EJ Taylor said:

Have you ever been to Bicester heritage!? It's awesome.

I have been there, went to a company called KWSP before they moved to Silverstone. 

Great place, so many little garages with craftsman working and some real sweet cars, the Porsche's by the cafe were something else. A meet there is a good idea

Edited by GrahamU

21 hours ago, fla said:

Graham i think you actually like breaking it just so you can fix it again!

there may be some truth to that 🤣

Seems to be real quiet on here over the past weeks 😞

I've been overseas to the states with Indy cars again, couple of boring photos from that first

52684941289_af42379e21_z.jpg

52684941259_785b304d9a_z.jpg

Honda showed their Indy engined truck

52685155168_10156d949b_z.jpg

52684940934_fd90b8eb3f_z.jpg

I dont usually get selfies, it always a bit un professional but I was working on Roman's car so seemed rude not to

52684941309_dee43bb35b_z.jpg

I'm not used to taking selfies and must remember not to hold my head back as it emphasises my chins 🙂

Anyway, back to the world of Corrado

Gearbox is back together and refilled with oil, it needs filling from the drain hole on the bottom, there is an insert that you remove to empty and then you replace and refill, its full when the oil reaches the top of the insert

52685155373_7f21b47e8c_z.jpg

I'm still waiting to buy a TIG welder so can't put the front back together yet as I want to make some ali pipe work.

So started on lowering the gear shifter, had to remove the downpipe first then the heatsheilds, then saw that there was a good 30 to 50mm that it could drop before hitting the heatsheild, so will make a simple bracket to drop that.

While the gear shifter was out I have started the small change to improve the look of the gear surround, bought the centre console from a mk4 golf and a gear knob and indicator from a Skoda

52684657736_54591dcb14_z.jpg

tried to fit the centre under the dash and found it wouldn't fit to start with, I could only push it this far under the corrado dash

52685155368_70a9c176f2_z.jpg

so at the point I'm thinking, I spent £100 on these parts, if I start cutting then they are no longer any good to sell on so had a long think then decided balls to it, I'll have a go

got it all to fit a bit better

52685155263_a2fb351570_z.jpg

52684657486_480c6d66c1_z.jpg

Still needs some tweaking to make it look right but I'm happy with it so far

Edited by GrahamU

Was good to spend some time in the garage again this weekend, got the rad and cooler back in so I could rebuild the front end

52773208543_d9f857fb52_z.jpg

52772982224_6bc4d3c126_z.jpg

Next to finish the interior so it will be roadworthy again 🙂

Edited by GrahamU

7 hours ago, fla said:

is a single fan enough cooling for both the rad and intercooler Graham?

It kept it cool last year and this is a better radiator so I hope it would be ok. 

The mk5 fan controller runs at variable speed depending on the temps so it should control the temps better than an off and on fan.

If I see a small fan then I may add one if it has any problems

Would there be any way to incorporate that kind of controller into the VR cooling circuit?   I quite like the idea of a variable speed fan!