P3rks

Corrado Security

My Corrado is looking pretty sweet at the moment with the shining sun and it's starting to get some good attention from the locals... Some of it unwanted.

I'm a little paranoid after my last MK2 was stolen. Really paranoid.

It has a Cat1 Alarm and immobiliser on it, I never leave anything on show and always have the glove-box/ashtrays open. I'm anal where I park and I'm a serial sad-act curtain twitcher. - to the point I'll get out of bed if I hear any suspect sounds.

My car is parked on the road due to not having a drive. My next pad will have a drive at least, hopefully a garage, but for now I'm stuck with what I've got.

I'm looking at getting a snap-off boss and a CCTV system installed to keep my mind at ease so I can chill out a little.

But what security measures do you guys take to keep your pride and joy safe?

Difficult one mate, as unlike modern cars Corrados are too easy to steal. I personally like to have as may mechanical visible security devices on the car as possible. If you make it difficult, then hopefully they'll look elsewhere.

When mine has been stood for ages, I remove one of the relays in the fusebox that won't allow the car to be started. Sorry can't remember the number on it but know the position it lives in. Hopefully I've not lost it though!

I use a very heavy motorcycle chain with a good quality padlock running from the seat rails to the steering wheel. It's covered in red plastic, so very visible. Also have 3 LEDs - 2 immobilisers and alarm, and one on the stereo (which is a tape deck, so less inviting).

I think strategic deactivation of the car through pulling of an important relay is a great way forward!

Problem with the relays is hassle. I can see that getting real boring real quick. Something accessible and easy would be nice. A hidden cut off/kill switch maybe? The problem with this is that that it's not really a detergent and they'll already be in the car. Being the mindless scum thieves are they'll just rip the car apart trying to start it, plus I have known of vandalising cars when they've failed to steal them.

Thing is, if they break in and don't get to steal the car, and proceed to vandalise the car - at least you had the pleasure of frustrating the hell out of them, and knowing you beat them.

Chains and locks etc are a good deterrent too. It is a trade off between a disklok and snap off wheel. I'm swaying for the snap off because they look cool, are a deterrent and anti theft and much more convenient than a rattly, heavy lock.

Thing is, if they break in and don't get to steal the car, and proceed to vandalise the car - at least you had the pleasure of frustrating the hell out of them, and knowing you beat them.

True, but I don't know what's worse, never seeing your pride and joy again or seeing it trashed. Plus I don't believe vandalism is covered with insurance?

To be honest, if you've already got a decent alarm and always keep the glovebox open that's about as much as you can do in terms of whether someone's going to break-in in the first place.

I defo think a hidden kill switch is a good idea though. Yes, there might then be damage, but at least the cars not gone anywhere.

The other option is to leave your car in a garage away from home, drive a polo as a daily and then never drive the rado, but from experience it's rubbish!

i brought an infra red motion sensor alarm for my shed last year and it cost like £10.00! it takes AA batterys and is prety damn loud! works off a remote fob,

you could keep it in your glove box or mount it under the dash or hide it somewhere in the car so if anybody opens the door it'll go off, would probably scare off most intruders, prety much the same as this, cant belive there so cheap!!! they work realy well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIRELESS-PIR-MOTION-SENSOR-ALARM-2-REMOTE-CONTROLS-SHED-HOME-GARAGE-CARAVAN-/160792409199?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item256ff9746f

In the time I owned OSV it had a Clifford, Disklock and wheel clamp. I was paranoid leaving it at home on the drive all week while I was working.

If you have a late VR6, at least it has the factory key-based immobiliser so you don't have to worry about it being started without them getting hold of your keys.

But otherwise stickers, steering wheel locks, etc, are really the only way to deter passing idiots. Or, in my case, don't wash it for four years... :)

I'm lucky that mine is rarely on the street; it's usually on the drive or in the garage and even when driving somewhere it rarely gets left anywhere far from me. The first thing I did when I got it was to replace the old immobiliser (which commonly cause issues) with a new cat 1 alarm/immob... and made sure I replaced the old alarm window stickers with new ones to show that it had indeed had something recent.

I'm thinking more and more of getting some kind of steering lock though for the few occasions that it is somewhere public.

True' date=' but I don't know what's worse, never seeing your pride and joy again or seeing it trashed. Plus I don't believe vandalism is covered with insurance?[/quote']

I'd rather they just took it and never see it again. If you wake up and find your car trashed, you'll be baying for blood for weeks. Not worth the stress.

I believe Direct Line are the only ins company that offer vandal damage cover, but technically speaking, if the interior is trashed as well, is that not attempted theft? So should be covered?

I'm afraid to say it mate, but the only way to sleep easy at night is to move out into a rural property with a garage, and buy an old beater for trips into town.

If you have a late VR6, at least it has the factory key-based immobiliser so you don't have to worry about it being started without them getting hold of your keys.

Yep, someone attempted to steal mine from the previous owner but was thwarted by the factory immobiliser.

Come to think about it, I've been thwarted by it a few times too.

A CCTV camera is useful to find the culprit but doesn't always stop them having a go in the first place. If your street is like most around Ecclesall Rd though parking in the same spot every night to be covered by the camera may be a problem (I've had neighbours actually deliberately park in front of my house because they know it has CCTV coverage). Your best bet is to sleep in the front bedroom with the window open at night, but sounds like you already do that, and it doesn't help you sleep easy.

I've had loads of trouble with vandalism where I live (though a lot better over the last couple of years), and also had trouble when I lived up your end of Sheffield. I learnt to deal with it by just accepting it's a fact of life these days. If you suspect someone is deliberately targeting your car, then do all you can to catch them, but if you're afraid that there may be some random person out there who may want to steal a car and may choose yours, then you're going to worry yourself to death.

i brought an infra red motion sensor alarm for my shed last year and it cost like £10.00! it takes AA batterys and is prety damn loud! works off a remote fob,

you could keep it in your glove box or mount it under the dash or hide it somewhere in the car so if anybody opens the door it'll go off, would probably scare off most intruders, prety much the same as this, cant belive there so cheap!!! they work realy well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIRELESS-PIR-MOTION-SENSOR-ALARM-2-REMOTE-CONTROLS-SHED-HOME-GARAGE-CARAVAN-/160792409199?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item256ff9746f

thanks for that just bought one for my baby x

---------- Post added at 1:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:56 PM ----------

if you have a late vr6, at least it has the factory key-based immobiliser so you don't have to worry about it being started without them getting hold of your keys.

But otherwise stickers, steering wheel locks, etc, are really the only way to deter passing idiots. Or, in my case, don't wash it for four years... :)

lol

Get some good locks,

tell everyone who may talk to or know someone dirty, that it's the slowest car ever on the planet.

Drive a gear higher than needed and in the same time slowly passing the usual suspects,

get it out of sight=out of mind allways day and night.

Never leave your car in a parking lot, parking house when shopping or going to the cinema,

cut some wires and install secrec flip switches.

Take the ignition feed wire off.

Take the rotor off (if you have one), but leave the cover on.

Lock it. Also when just getting a small thing indoors.

Alarm it.

GPS it.

Keep a angry pitbull next to it. Even when you beat them with a baseball bat, then rip your knee in two, preventing the usual suspect from actually driving and running away, while you end his misserable life.

Never tell about your car on an internet forum, or lay out pictures on boasting sites.

Park it different places from time to time.

Get a good insurance that actually may give you money and not just write it off as crap when you need it.

Park your daily behind it, so that have to be removed to get the Corrado out.

Camera with sms sender.

Be a close pal with the scumms most wanted mechanic, so they know if they touch your car, they will never have their drog-paid slades worked on again (actually works).

Don't trust anyone. I mean anyone.

NEVER keep any tools in the garage/next the Corrado. Do you actually want to help the buggars?

An aluminium bat next to bed.

4 locking bolts on each wheel.

Never have nice wheels. I know. Hard to avoid on a Corrado.

Keep a silent or near silent exhaust. Loud pipes save lives, but also helps stealing cars and motorcycles.

Choose your neighbourhood carefully. Too rich and you will have visitors. Too poor and the boys in da hood will trash everything.

Don't keep a sign outside on your garage, that says: "Corraod parking only. All other cars will be removed". Funt to look at, but not fun when your Corrado is gone.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox