Harrier

C11 VRG / Sold,new year/new C !!

Well,after owning my vr for over 10 yrs now,being a CCGB member for most of that time & a forum member 4 yrs thought it time to create a members build thread! Been looking at some others & impressed at the level of commitment & work that has gone in to so many cars on here.Havnt got to many events or shows until the last year or two ,when ive got to know a few guys from the south & south west & they are a pretty decent bunch.

Some of you will know my car as it was voted 1st at National Day show & shine this year & runner up in 2011.

I have already carried out a considerable amount of work to car

My car: well its its a black 94 vr6 LA9v paint code.The 17inBBS rx11's were bought new & fitted soon after i purchased car & i still love them.The car remained fairly unchanged until about 3-4 year ago when i decided the car needed a facelift & as i still enjoyed owning it as much as ever decided it would be worth the expense & work.It had some paint work carried out & then i had to rectify a smokey engine.I removed it to allow a re-bore & full re-build .Since then other

improvements have included KWv1's,Milltek exhaust & front & rear suspension over-haul.I have just fitted a BMC cda filter to compliment Schimmel cams which are on there way soon via the group buy.It was already giving 201bhp prior to filter so with cams & a re-map im looking forward to the results !

Other future improvements may be a brake up-grade but pretty happy just enjoying it as it is right now & getting along to events & shows,would like to get to some shows up north some time.Ok,a few pics & will keep you updated on cams arrival & fitment.

Daren.

Edited by Harrier

About time you started a gallery thread Daren! Lovely car- it's a credit to you. Go for the 288 brakes- cheap and makes a big difference! Absolutely love the wheels 8)

Well deserved win in the show and shine. It's a lovely example :)

About time you started a gallery thread Daren! Lovely car- it's a credit to you. Go for the 288 brakes- cheap and makes a big difference! Absolutely love the wheels 8)

Are the 288 brakes as fitted on Mk4 Golf gti's Andy ?

Are the 288 brakes as fitted on Mk4 Golf gti's Andy ?

Have a word with 'PurpleTom', he's got some freshly blasted and powder coated.

This car is so much better in the flesh, the pics don't do it justice.

She sure is a beauty Darren, didn't know it was 201bhp already, that's good going! It'll be flying after the cams and map :)

Popped into my local breakers yard today & was lucky to find a V5 golf so whipped off these calipers for £ 25, not bad i thought,so will get busy cleaning & order some 288 discs & pads

Worth checking,those calipers should work with the 312 discs and will fit nicely under the 17's not sure about the carriers or adapters needed though.

Worth checking,those calipers should work with the 312 discs and will fit nicely under the 17's not sure about the carriers or adapters needed though.

They could be either 288 or 312 depending on what version of V5 they came of, early V5's were only 150bhp so had 288s, later had 312s when they upped the power to 170bhp. just the carriers are different

Harrier, did you measure the discs when you took the calipers off?

Edited by rado20vT

Yes,they had 288mm discs .Its good to know that 312 discs will work so i just need to get different carriers.thanks for that

Not been too busy at work this week so able to spend some time with the C.Decided to not bother cleaning up calipers i got from breakers & got some new-exchange from GSF.Shiney! Chose 288mm discs as carriers for 312mm were fairly pricey new & couldnt find any used.Found out V5 discs dont fit but Mk3 golf do.So Jurid discs & pads,new calipers & hoses fitted & looking good,so much better than what came off!

Also managed to fit the SP263 cams i bought on the group buy,along with an oil change & new set of plugs.

Finished this job this morning & enjoyed a test drive.The difference wasnt instantly obvious but after a couple of miles i realised the change in engine noise,it sounds more crisp & wants to rev more freely.The top end roar you are used to with the vr is not as noticable, & it pulls better through all gears.Im going to book a remap with Stealth soon & look forward to the results.Will be interested in other peoples opinions when they are fitted.

Enjoyed a little run out this morning & tried to get some better pics

Edited by Harrier

Good choice with the calipers, hated having corroded lumps on mine. Quick question did you replace the tappets when putting the cams in?

Edited by captainredeye

Decided to get a new no plate for the vr.Went on DVLA web site last thursday,chose one i liked,payed up & received paperwork yesterday.Went down to DVLA office this am & now plates are on! Suprised how quick & efficient it all was.Am pleased with new plate.