fla

dropped kerb in fron of house

We are looking to get the kerb in front of the house dropped for a driveway. How much should this cost - it will be around 4m long and on the pavement section there are two inspection covers (one BT i think, the other is a small 200mm x 200mm cover).

Anything to be aware of and how is this usually done?

We live in a cul -de-sac, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

We had ours done a few years ago- can't help with price as it was included with the driveway block paving. You will need to clear it with the council first.

Shame about the inspection covers, otherwise it would be quite straightforward.

How close are they to your boundary, ie, what will become the entry point to the new driveway - the part which is not still pavement?

I paid £800 for mine through the local council

I had to pay £100 to local highways people to come view and say what I could have

Then had a list if their contractors to ring round!

They charged £700 and did the worst job I have seen!

But it's a bloody job for the boys because you can only use their people

Im sure you will need planning permission and a few forms to fill in from the council and they have a couple of contractors that you can use.

Shame about the inspection covers, otherwise it would be quite straightforward.

How close are they to your boundary, ie, what will become the entry point to the new driveway - the part which is not still pavement?

Thanks all. I'll post some pics up shortly to show the relative positions of the service covers and our drive

You will only neede planning permission if you are on a classified road so a cul de sac will be fine. However each local council do this their own way some let you organise it and just inspect it. Some will have several companies you can call on. Some only let it be done via the direct labour of that council. Best thing to do is to give the council a call and they will advise you on the process.

As mentioned the covers may cause an issue if they need lowering? Dependant on the make up of t he chamber this may require that utility company working on their apparatus first. If that is the case it of more benefit to alter where you want the dropped kerb.

just get a transit van, some hi-vis clothing and do it yourself. No one would bat an eyelid unless you have some rubbish neighbours

just get a transit van, some hi-vis clothing and do it yourself. No one would bat an eyelid unless you have some rubbish neighbours

Yeah, I'd be tempted to do that, all they'd do if they cottoned on is make you apply for retrospective planning permission and unless you've made a god damn mess why would they refuse?

well i was gonna get a drive on the front of my house, paid for the council to come check about lowering the curb and they refused me as the area to park the car on was 300mm to short!!!

Jeff, tell them you want it to park a motorbike on it ;)

davidwort: as lilfuzzer said, you won't need planning permission unless it is on a classified road and this is from a person who has worked in the planning department. The issue is, if you do it yourself and some horrible neighbour decides to be a pain in the arse there may be a problem with damaging public property or something like that.

But yes, its lovely money making scheme for the local council. You do need to apply to the highways section for a dropped kerb pack which guess what, costs money and then that gives you a list of contractors who can do the work. Utter bull if you ask me but this is the council we are talking about.

Edited by swiftkid

We had ours done last year at a cost of £550 plus £49 for highways approval..