VR6Pete

Another Corrado VR6 saved!

When I got it, it was a non runner, knackered heater matrix, head gasket had gone and the timing chains needed doing.... I knew it would be an uphill struggle, but didn't realize it would be a 4 year battle :)

Engine bay was looking like it would look quite at home in a scrap yard!

vu3ymu2e.jpg

The bodywork looked like it had been cleaned with wet and dry for the last 10 years!

ezebajeg.jpg

taneqy6y.jpg

After many years of, what I would call restoration given the state it was in when I got it, it now has a new lease of life, passed it's MOT yesterday and now looks as good as any Corrado should be.

6azy4u7u.jpg

e6e2u3u6.jpg

3ytynyvu.jpg

jude2a5u.jpg

It's hard to believe its the same car, the point i'm trying to make is that over my 4 years of ownership, I've seen many corrado's being scrapped / broken for parts in better condition than when I first got my Corrado many years ago, and it just goes to show if your in it for the love, you will get there in the end :)

Comments welcome (apologies for the state of my garage!)

Pete

Edited by VR6Pete

Well done that man! :thumbleft:

Unfortunately I can't see the pics at the moment as I'm at work, but will have a look later at home. Most people only think about the money - which to a point I can understand - but these are classic cars now (more or less) so people shouldn't be expecting to get all their money back when they want to move on.

It would be interesting/frightening to know what it's cost you to resurrect it.

Looking fantastic. Also keen to know what you did to treat that rust, having a VR with a similar issue and not being flush enough to tackle a respray yet :(

Cheers guys! I've only gone over it with an orbital and it did a pretty good job, I cant afford a respray at the moment, so i'm treating the bodywork as a separate project :)

The only panel I did replace and and get resprayed was the front slam panel as mine was bent out of shape, it was a real good color match they did....

I know I need 2 wings, bonnet and some work on the rear arches, fuel filler neck, drivers sill and rear corner below the rear light.... It's nothing major, just look at some of the cars they tackle on Car S.O.S, will just be a year building up the panels and getting it sorted, probably next year.... I want to enjoy the car now, hopefully it will be reliable given everything that has been replaced from a mechanical side.

Still more work to do on the body front, but now mechanically sound.... just a few more "tarting up" bits to do, like painting my calipers and full wet vac inside... need to get geometry done ASAP and get the old girl mapped, but with my new refurbished injectors, 263 cams and the 3.68 shes got some hoof when you use the loud peddle...

I don't know whats going on, since I upgraded to IE 10 ive not been able to use the forum properly :) and no compatibility mode is available... I'll re-upload the pics tonight via tapatalk

They were working earlier but have since stopped working... not sure what you've done there mate! :)

Great job Pete! Mine is in a similar state, although mechanically pretty good. I'll be in it for the long haul too I think, and my paintwork sounds in a similar state to how yours was! It looks like a layer of dust is on the car, but its not dust! Feels like 600 grit sand paper when you run your hand over it! Good work. :thumbleft:

It is deffinetly looking well Pete just goes to show what can be done I owned my vr6 Highline for nearly 4 years loved every time I drove it silly selling up I was but now moving on to a corrado vr6 after owning 2 cars that have never compared to a vr6 once that sweet sound takes a hold of you it's instant love

Don't think it will be a daily, sadly, although should be reliable enough given everything has been overhauled...

e9yve6uv.jpg

I took this pic at the first MOT where it failed, how small do these look compared to a small modern car, ill be keeping this as my weekend / summer toy with the occasional commute to work, only because it has some nice twisties and straights :)

Pete

I don't mind :) I do have a build thread already, but just wanted to mark the occasion and show people that you don't have to scrap a corrado for silly things :)

Top job there sir ! well done . In case i missed it , is the colour dbp ? looks like it when the sun or flash is on bodywork .

I don't mind :) I do have a build thread already, but just wanted to mark the occasion and show people that you don't have to scrap a corrado for silly things :)

I'll leave it here then ;)

fanks for the comments guys :) actually pretty proud of what has been achieved. even sent some pics to the person I bought the car off in 2009 :)

Looking good. Hope you enjoy driving it!

I cant agree more strongly with your sentiment on saving a car. Its a source of sadness every time I visit my local scrap yard and see VWs, Audis, BMWs etc scrapped before their time. We live in a society where so many cant do anything practical for themselves, but can afford newer/better, and so a car becomes worth very little soon in its life. A failed MOT and a repair quote with lots of labour involved and its off to the scrapyard!

I understand why enthusiasts do break corrados: its often said without this the rest of us would struggle to keep our cars on the road given so many parts are unavailable. I also think its a pity our view of a car is so swayed by the condition of its paintwork: providing the bodywork is not corroded, we should be more impressed by the car's mechanical condition.