VR6 Gar

VR6 Gar's Flash Red VRT. SOLD

Most of you already know the car as it is the one James built then sold to Graeme.

Well now its mine :cheers:

Flew up to Aberdeen yesterday morning then after a bit more haggling on the price a deal was done.

Drove 330 miles to Lancs to my folks where I spent the night then got up early today and carried on to Exeter.

Didn't miss a beat all the way back. Only thing is it is running really rich, don't know if this was a problem for you Graeme?

On the first leg of the journey I managed 27.45mpg. This was mostly Duel c's and M-way with the odd foot to the floor, so I think 30mpg might be possible if driving live a granny.

Turns out that my parents live only 4.5miles from the original owner of 8 years. Would have popped round to see if he still lived there but it was after a few drinks I discovered this going through the history.

Few small plans for it, mostly remedial. The Track rod ends need doing as do the wiper blades, then its onto things like more sound deadening refurb the wheels and other small bits and pieces.

Here it is after a quick wash.

IMG_2882_zpsd3f14ce4.jpg

On the way back a new M3 convertible came roaring up behind me whilst stopped at some lights for the Duel C out to Exeter airport. Floored it from the lights as did he. Obviously thought I would be easy pickings as he pulled straight out into lane 2. Having to short shift 1st and 2nd he nearly managed to get along side, but by the time I was into third it was bye bye Mr £30k M3. Started to streak away once into 4th and by the time we got upto 130-140 I was a good few car lengths ahead and I was very close to my junction so backed right off. He was still in the outside lane at this point and continued to floor it passed despite being well and truly spanked.:smug:

This made my journey as I had the GF in the passenger seat and he was on his own.

Edited by VR6 Gar

Awesome stuff mate. Always loved reading about this car, a real credit to the owners. Nice and local now, would love to see it. This car could tempt me back into C ownership no prob. You must be so pleased buddy.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Good to see it back safe and sound. That sounds about the right MPG I got on the way to Inters a few years ago. What was the A/F readings when on the motorway and when you give it some boost?

I used to take the lambda and A/F probe out to clean them every now and again. I put a fairly new Lambda probe in before I sold it. Best way to check is by the checking the plugs, thats what I did. It is an awsome car and Im glad its being looked after.

Better running a bit rich than the other way as it will do things like this every now and again

skip to 1m30, was getting held up on the back straight and back off for a nice pop of flame @ 2m 15ish

Caol unplugged the AF soon after he bought it as it was distracting :shrug: so need to get that hooked back up.

Also need to get a HT lead tool so I can check the plugs, but he ain't changed them in his ownership so I will just replace them with some Bosch S2 ones.

Nice to see this on the forum. James took me out in this a few years back and its awesome. Enjoy it buddy as I am sure you will

Good luck wih it, matey. I look forward to seeing you around in the South West and at meets down an around here. It would be good to get a collection of VRTs together. I note also that you've got a B5 S4. Snap. Another great car.

Rgds

Charlie

The S4 had to make way for this. Got a guy coming from London to look at it tomorrow so it should hopefully be sold soon.

If you want to soundproof, I can recommend this stuff - http://www.efoam.co.uk/fireseal-foam.php

I recently did my MK4 R32 with it as it has a very droney exhaust and leather causes echoey acoustics and it's made the whole car a lot quieter.

I used the 12mm thick stuff and put it behind the front and rear cards, under the rear seats, behind all the rear carpet on the 1/4 panels etc etc.

If you want to soundproof, I can recommend this stuff - http://www.efoam.co.uk/fireseal-foam.php

I recently did my MK4 R32 with it as it has a very droney exhaust and leather causes echoey acoustics and it's made the whole car a lot quieter.

I used the 12mm thick stuff and put it behind the front and rear cards, under the rear seats, behind all the rear carpet on the 1/4 panels etc etc.

How heavy is that stuff?

Been looking at a bulk pack of Silent Coat as it has got some good recommendations on ED38.

Thinking it should be lighter also as its only 4mm as opposed to 12mm.

Found that the wastegate to exhaust bolts have gone walkies so got some new ones on order. As such the car has been off the road all week.

In that time I have,

Replaced the front speakers that were shagged with some cheap Alpine components.

Replaced the single middle washer jet that did an appalling job of spraying the screen with 2 mist type jets found on Citreons and Peugoets etc. Also fitted new Bosch Aero blades and bent the arms a bit so have a fully effective wiper system.

Been on a cleaning mission.

The roof and bonnet were covered in what looked like water marks, but ingrained into the paint. :?

About 7 hours of T-cutting later, a few layer of paint removed and some sore arms and fingers the car was looking much better. Gave the rest of the car a quick T-cut as well to remove any hazing that had built up since its respray, then Poorboys Black Hole and Meguires Deep Crystal Carnuba Waxed it.

CIMG1357_zpsbbf67edd.jpg

CIMG1358_zps52645928.jpg

CIMG1359_zps1388b0da.jpg

IMG_2894_zps1fbf8e1e.jpg

IMG_2907_zps134a922b.jpg

The parcel shelf has 6*9s fitted so covered it with some black cloth I had left over from a few years ago when I did the same to my last Corrado.

IMG_2911_zps589989b3.jpg

Also blacked up the handles that were looking faded.

IMG_2912_zpse17fae7c.jpg

Looking forward to getting the bolts on so I can start enjoying it again.

Got got a new Kenwood headunit on its way to replace the old Alpine one that has no connectivity other than cd changer.

What sort of Fabric was it that you used on the parcel shelf Gar? I've got to cover mine due to an holes from 6x9s, only I need beige stuff.

Looking very nice , may bump into you sometime (well not literally !)when me and rob are out for a drive in ours . Will hopefully get mine back on Wednesday, so I hope to be out for a drive at the weekend

Rob

What sort of Fabric was it that you used on the parcel shelf Gar? I've got to cover mine due to an holes from 6x9s, only I need beige stuff.

Some stuff I got off ebay. Acoustic cloth or something like that. Beige may be a problem though as it seems to be black or dark grey.

Still waiting on the bolts so had a front wheel off for a quick clean to see how it would come up. An hour later and it's almost like new. (apart from the kerbing)

IMG_2913_zpsbee1a714.jpg

IMG_2914_zpsca90ee17.jpg

IMG_2915_zps4cdd91de.jpg

Good work, I kept it clean but never really polished / detailed it. Its amazing how it shines when clean though.

wow, thought t-cut was outlawed .....lol

Ha, had a go with AG super resin polish and it did nowt to remove the marks, so out came the T-cut, and what a brilliant job it did.

T-cut does what it says. Cuts the paint back by removal. It doesn't have much refinement though as its quite harsh and is a non diminishing abrasive. SRP only has very very light cut though. Its centred around fillers so doesn't remove the scratches/swirls, it only masks them. SRP won't offer the depth that the T-cut will by its very nature. SRP after vthe T-cut would make a good combo though, then a wax on top to protect it and make the shine last. People become product snobs that have been around detailing for a while, thats why T-cut gets written off tbh. It does what it says, but there are better products on the market now as its essentially the same formula that your granddad used to rave about when he put it on his Ford Anglia all those years ago! :lol: