perksy

PROJECT HEAD BAKE LOL ( if your easily offended look away)

Well been meaning to do this for 5 years so as I have a little bit of spare time no time like the present to share the build so far

so where to start i guess the beginning is probably the best place

so i had bought an aqua blue corrado vr6 with black leather interior

well lets just get the pics going

myrado3.jpg

so this is the only pic i have as i bought it (well other than the grill) the only things that had been done were

1 - had been lowered using jemex lowering springs

2 - had been sat on those 17" five spoke wheels

3 - they had removed the air filter box for a cone filter

other than that it was standard and in mint condition took me ages to find one in good condition they either smoked or had a different shade of paint on every panel argh, so ended up looking back paying over the odds to get this one but i was the happiest 24 year old in the world and didn't care one bit just wanted to drive everywhere and petrol was less than a pound so i could haha

but it didn't take long to start and think i want to put my own stamp on my car

so I'll show you how that ended up later today

So my mod was the debadged grill which you see in the pic above took all of about ten mins to fit that

so next was i wanted it lower and the wheels are not really my taste should have also said that i got the original wheels, springs and airbox incase i wanted to make in standard again as i had no intention of going to far just wanted a nice run around

well back to the thread

first i got some fk coilover and broke my mechanical cherry never done anything like before was rather easy when you actually start messing and get the seized bolts off (i always like messing with things tho but i had no idea what this car had in store for me )

next were the wheels

found some guy selling some bbs RG in 5x100 believe there off a Subaru not ever seen them before or since and they just caught my eye the only problem was they didnt have the correct centre bore was smaller than vw and really high ETs

well these are the wheels

DSC00692.jpg

DSC00691.jpg

DSC00693.jpg

bbsRG.jpg

bbsRG1.jpg

DSC00697.jpg

so thats the wheels as they were advertised and nobody seemed interested they were on edition tho so i guess back then if they weren't BBs RS nobody even looked

so first job with the wheels was to increase the centre bore being a joiner i had a router sat in my garage and a crazy idea that if i was slow enough id be able to free hand the centre bores to the right size so did and it worked fine so job done

then had to increase the ETs so bolted the wheels on and measured them up to where i wanted the wheels to end up so the back got 45mm spacers and the front 35mm, bolted them on slammed the coilovers down and it ended up looking like this

DSC00619.jpg

DSC00621.jpg

car.jpg

pics002.jpg

DSC00620.jpg

(which i thought looked pretty good even if i do say so myself haha)

next was the engine bay

i have thing for engine bays haha

so like i said above the bay was untouched and as standard as they come with all the bits other than the cone filter but after 12 years it had seen cleaner days and the some of the bits were getting past there sell by date, the first to break was the water pipes and i had a spark issue so decided new magnecor leads and samco hoses were in order and might as well have a little spruce up at the same time so with not that much work it ended up looking like this

DSC00430.jpg

again i was very happy and just carried on driving it and enjoying it and putting a smile on my chops

but like with most people on here you and your friends have chats about what they want to do you say what you might do and well its a load of pipe dreams that will never happen haha

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

o and i forgot all about the fk all red rears i made that was a head bake and took a good few times to get right

---------- Post added at 3:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:35 PM ----------

some teasers to what happened next

DSC02514.jpg

DSC04019.jpg

Cheers Ben

Not quite finished yet, if all had gone as planned it should of been finished a few weeks back so there might be a new saga to this build just yet, i'll fill you in on that when I know more and got this thread upto date

When I get in later I'll do some more of the progress so far

Edited by perksy

next part engine bay

well this sort off happened by accident like i said before i have proper love for engine bays and with a little to much time on my hands a grinder welder and ear plugs this happened (i did have over 500 pics of every detail but my hard drive died and i lost them so only have few left but im sure you will the idea

so what got removed (everything)

abs binned

servo binned

water pipes for heaters deleted and re routed or will be

brake lines re routed out of engine bay

every hole welded up

every bracket cut of

rain tray removed and chassis number relocated

this was a labour of love the time spent with a grinder in hand with a wire wheel on must be a solid week (never going to do it again) to take the bay and inner wheel arches back to bare metal to see what i was working with there was hardly any rust if any so had a great base to start from

any way i'll let the pics do the talking

DSC02610.jpg

DSC02607.jpg

DSC02592.jpg

DSC02595.jpg

DSC02596.jpg

DSC02569.jpg

DSC02511.jpg

these are the only pics of the welding that was done by me (took a little time to learn how to weld blew a few good holes in the begging but practise means you have to improve i think haha)

DSC02571.jpg

DSC02577.jpg

DSC02578.jpg

DSC02579.jpg

DSC02582.jpg

DSC02585.jpg

DSC02588.jpg

then i etch primed it while i sent it for paint

6ba39dd2-c8c2-4407-aa50-36276ebcb6dc.jpg

trail fit the engine to get an idea what its gunna look like

DSC02896.jpg

and then finally painted

DSC04149.jpg

DSC04163.jpg

DSC04172.jpg

DSC04174.jpg

well that will do for tonight

nice work lad. i've got that clarke welder too, good unit :)

Looks excellent! May as well get the subframe off and and painted up/powdercoated whilst your at it!

I do like a nice clean and fresh bay, I will get onto mine at some point..........

CHEERS GUYS AND GALS for all the nice comments hope you enjoy the rest of the build :cool:

nice work lad. i've got that clarke welder too, good unit :)

cheers mate, the welder is a friends but yeah really is a good piece of kit once you finally learn how to use it which does take a while, really enjoy using it

Fantastic work! Love the RGs too.

cheers mate, yeah a really like the RGs to just very simple and under stated i just wish sometimes they were a little wider and had a bit more dish but i think they really suit the corrado and tbh they do look even better in real life than in pics

Looks excellent! May as well get the subframe off and and painted up/powdercoated whilst your at it!

I do like a nice clean and fresh bay, I will get onto mine at some point..........

funny you say that and as you brought it up lets move onto the next stage of the build

SUBFRAME REVAMP

So as the engine was out and the subframe was of it would of been sacrilege to bolt the sub frame back up in the rusty state it was in and at the same time i put some power flex bushes in

so i'll just put the pics up

DSC04022.jpg

DSC04023.jpg

DSC04025.jpg

DSC04028.jpg

DSC04187.jpg

DSC04191.jpg

DSC04192.jpg

so that's how it was and then this is how they look now

DSC04212.jpg

DSC04213.jpg

DSC04218.jpg

DSC04216.jpg

DSC04219.jpg

DSC04220.jpg

and then the power steering rack got a new lick of paint by me

DSC04031.jpg

DSC04034.jpg

DSC04044.jpg

DSC04046.jpg

DSC04047.jpg

and that's that sorted for another 15 years

Edited by perksy

so for my fav part of the car

wilwood pedal box

well as most people know the vr brakes feel like **** so decided that id get rid of the ABS servo everything and fit a wilwood pedal box for some reason i just love how they look there just sick as sorry getting over excited hahaha well ill let the pics do the talking

DSC03773.jpg

DSC03775.jpg

DSC03780.jpg

DSC03787.jpg

DSC03781.jpg

IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2846.jpg

IMG_2849.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

so one thing i wanted to do with my car was to make sure what ever i did it made things as original as posssible (i know i know haha wilwood pedal box plus weld every hole in the bay and get rid of the ABS haha)

but really as i had no idea where to start with this part i just thought right i wanna mount it on the original pedal box and go from there, it had to mount to the original mounting points as well. so all i did was cut the vr6 pedal box of everything i wasnt going to use and then just make it as big as posible.

then make if fit and hold up the pedals to see where they had to be (i mean they had to go either side of the steering colum) and go from there not to sound like a dick but got it pretty good first time

i used the accelerator pedal to judge how far forward the pedals needed to be then used them to set the DBW ( for the next stage haha)

well im not gunna bore you so thats it hope you like or hate haha

Like,

You will notice the difference without a servo !

What m/c size(s) are you using?

Are you going with the remote adjuster for the bias box ?

Good luck

Suprised to see youve updated this John. You moved the car yet or is it still holding up the sale of your dads house? Ha

Very impressed by the work done so far , well done mate . Looking forward to more updates .

Rob

cheers mate hopefully have some updates soon just need the rain to go away and the lighter nights to role in

Definitely a like not a hate from me...

very nice

cheers guys :thumbleft:

Some dedication there, awesome work.

Rog.

cheers Rog some times a little to much dedication to the cause, all i wanna do is drive it hard haha

Like,

You will notice the difference without a servo !

What m/c size(s) are you using?

Are you going with the remote adjuster for the bias box ?

Good luck

is that good luck because i'll need it :thumbleft: sweet haha

well the pedal box has a 6.25 to 1 ratio on it

the 2 brake master cylinders are 0.625 x2 (was gunna go a size up for the front brakes but a friend who has run one said dont bother unless you want a massive leg haha)

and the clutch is 0.7 i think tbh it was over two years since i got them was told that i might need to go bigger on the clutch but for now we will see

yeah got a wilwood flexi dash mounted adjuster not decided where to mount it yet dont want it sticking out like a piece of ****

all the pots will be on braided hoses and hidden in the dash thats my second biggest hate seeing nice bays then brake fluid pots sat in the the bay, i mean you go to all that trouble to tidy the bay then stick pots in the rain tray, damn, right behind polished intercoolers hanging out of the front bumper (at least paint it black) haha

at the end of the day if it doesnt work better than the vr i'll just source a bigger servo and refit that as i dont want sh!t brakes

Liam lad (erny)

i know i had a little spare time figured i'd carry on where i left of, more to motivate myself than anything, i need the moral support haha

yeah my old man has finally moved and the car has been moved so his sale could complete haha i mean how ungrateful moving when i stored my car in his garage for free some people a haha

done any on your mk2 blaster or is it in the same sorry state as mine at the min?

little update

washer bottle moved to the boot

IMG_2842.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

so this was one was pretty straight forward just connected the washer bottle to the the pipe that is used for the rear washer connected the front to the front washer jet pipe job done

for anyone that cares its not a corrado washer bottle its a mk1 one nice and small just bent a bit of ali to make a bracket and screwed it in extened the wiring job done well i hope so not tested it and the pump is a mk1 one so who knows that might have give up the ghost haha o well cross that bridge if i get there.

Edited by perksy

Had an hour on the gearbox the other morning before work, ready to fit now. Need to get it closer to the new house. Next time im at the garage ill box up all my vr stuff for you.