dumptyboy

Late heater control LED lighting. Uprated lighting.

Right everyone it's early days but I'm in the middle of designing a new concept of lighting for the late heater controls on a corrado. The design is more basic than the other pcb boards that people have seen in the past, but will give similar effect and will be a lot cheaper to design.

I have spoken to a local engineer who works at the local college and tutors electrical engineering. He has had a look at my concept and said it would be very easy to replicate and relatively inexpensive to make a circuit board to suit.

The design is based on using the original way of lighting the heater controls but with LEDs instead of a single bulb. A PCB will need to be fitted behind the central control knob, and will transfer LED light to all the heater controls evenly.

I have played around with the basic idea of what I'm looking for and the local college are going to refine the idea and improve on it.

Basically this could mean that the heater controls can be immulinated 100% better than before, and at an easily affordable price.

I will update this thread within the next month with the progress, but I'm pretty sure these PCB's will be available before Christmas.

The colour of the bulbs are to be confirmed, but it will hopefully be a choice of between the standard green, or the red and blue as pictured:

9235d786d66753de02ce99f57e062821_zpse8b09116.jpg

c72340cd1e11bc47b2348673ee0eda5a_zps0328087d.jpg

7305373e89e7e18f9533e0bed10fbe1f_zpsac2e68e9.jpg

Rob.

No price as yet, but he recons that it will be around £5 to make the pcb with the red and blue LEDs, that's for the parts only. But I recon it would be for sale at about £15-£20 posted, but it is early days. I can't imagine the price being massively above that though.

Looks great- I'd need an all red one with a blue section for the cold bit on the heat setting - is that a possibility?

Cheers :)

Good to see people trying to improve the lighting on these controls. To be honest though I've tried LED's, miniature bulbs, but the best thing was electroluminescent sheet, cut to size, and then with coloured acetate to control the colours for the icons. Much more even lighting across all the icons precise control over the colour you want. Couple of example shots....

I read this in your build thread :awesome: Haven't read all the way through yet some of the stuff you have done :notworthy:

I read this in your build thread :awesome: Haven't read all the way through yet some of the stuff you have done :notworthy:

Thanks man :-)

I'd be up for this too as long as it could be installed by dummies :) I think I'd quite like green for the outer dials and blue->red for the temperature dial :)

I'm in, I've only had my rado a day and the heater illumination does my head in...lol, I thought the bulb had gone but I guess it's just poor design.

Same as Jim for me please, OE green with red/blue for the temp.

Rog.

I'd be up for this too as long as it could be installed by dummies :) I think I'd quite like green for the outer dials and blue->red for the temperature dial :)

Oh that sounds even better. Yes please :)

Green with Red/Blue temp would be sweeeeeeeet!

Yes please!

So this is what it's like to set a trend... a new feeling for me ;) lol ;)

Blue and red for me as well. My heater lights haven't worked for a long time - do they need to be working

for this to work, or is it a completely independent power source? Thanks

This looks cool, Nice work :D

Christmas present in green LEDs me thinks :lol:

Nice.

Si