Roger Chatfield

Rog's Rado... The smile is back :)

So, one of my work buddies kindly offered to paint my rusty starter motor whilst on nights.... This is the result...lol

image_zpsb38ace3b.jpg

Managed to get the engine in, not too difficult, got it fitted in under 15 mins.

image_zpscfb8690f.jpg

Spent the rest of the day connecting everything up.

I've put oil in it and turned it over on the starter with the plugs out, oil pressure got to two bar so I'm happy it's all good, just to refit the coil pack, leads and plugs and we are good to go, hopefully have it running tomorrow.

Btw, for info GSF now stock G13, and are open til 4pm on a Saturday.

Rog.

Super quick fitting mate , glad it's all going well . One day I will be able to get up to see you , when we arnt both working lol . . I picked up some G13 too .

Well it started on the button but is making a hell of a racket from the top end, sounds like a follower has failed.

Guess I'll have to pull the cams and have a look.... bloody cars...

Rog.

Gutting mate. Are these the newish ones you replaced with the set from your old lump?

Yes mate so I cant understand why one has failed.

Anyway, quick vid.

th_MVI_4632_zps79945f8c.mp4

I'm just praying this is an easy fix and I haven't got another duff engine, can't afford to spend any more cash on it.

Rog.

Cripes! Can't believe the crap you've had with it Rog. What could've destroyed the cams? Absolutely gutting :( Hope the latest noise is an easy fix.

Had a little look on the net and read somewhere that the upper chain tensioner has to be free of air, well guess what, when I cleaned mine up I managed to get air trapped in it, I assumed this would bleed off once the engine was running but I've just removed the tensioner and yep, its still full of air.

I've managed to prime it up with oil but now the internal check valve isn't closing so I guess I'll need a new tensioner... bugger.

Hopefully that will solve it.

Rog.

Well done so far Rog , keep up the perseverance , you will get there . That's rich coming from me struggling with to rods and a bit of plastic lol .

As someone who's gone through a lot of hassle with their car in recent months, I salute you. It absolutely takes the patience of a bloody saint. Keep at it though - the finish line is in sight, I'm sure.

Could you not drain refill and rebleed the tensioner bolt again? If required I've got one spare.

10 out of 10 for staying with it and spending the time and money that you have.

Unfortunately, in my opinion you bought a lemon which needed more work than you anticipated.

Hopefully the end is in sight and you can soon start to enjoy driving it.

Edited by DriverVR6

I don't think that Rog. What I do think is that this guy is a bit of a chopper though. Seems to like to put his opinion across, but dismisses everyone elses.

Edited by seanl82

Could you not drain refill and rebleed the tensioner bolt again? If required I've got one spare.

Tried that mate but the check valve in the bolt is now not working so it won't take up any tension unless at pressure, I tried turning the engine over by hand and chain just jumped a cog so there is no way I'm risking a start.

I'm going to try and get a tensioner local today, if I get no joy I'll take you up on your kind offer please mate.

BTW I need the old original style one and not the newer Mk4 style.

Rog.

I don't think that Rog. What I do think is that this guy is a bit of a chopper though. Seems to like to put his opinion across, but dismisses everyone elses.

Wrong thread? :)

Managed to get one from Eurocarparts this morning and got it all primed and fitted.

Started it up and a little clatter, then a louder clatter... bugger bugger bugger... left it warm up and still loud cluttering.

So, went back up the house for a little cry and a coffee, goes back down the garage and I honestly thought it had stopped.

Nope, still running.... now sounds like a well oiled sewing machine... cancels my call to The Samaritans and realise my smile muscles have started working again.. :)

just need to put it back together and test drive time.

Rog.

All good fella's, just had a quick spin and its going fine, just a bit of smoke from the engine paint... oh and now the bloody bonnet cable has snapped.... winner...lol

Rog.