Roger Chatfield

Is 124 too high an oil temp

I was cruising back from Rob's today at 80mph, engine revs about 3.5k and I noticed that the oil temp crept up to 124, it was around 118-120 for most of the journey.

Is that normal for a VR6 or is it a bit high?? My car has an oil mocal oil cooler so I thought it should be a little less.

BTW water temp was 90.

Rog.

Mine runs at 90-92 at those speeds and 100-105 when thrashing it and I also have an oil cooler, so yes that is very high.

I just have the standard oil cooler setup and mine never exceeds 106 on normal roads. Usually sits at 100 when cruising at motorway speeds. I think the highest I've seen it is 116 and that was on a track day in summer.

If your coolant temp is ok i would have thought it was more likely down to inaccuracy in your oil temp sensor

On picking my VR6 up this weekend I thought oil temps were a bit too high - around 106 just at motorway speeds (not being silly as I don't trust the car yet :) ) I'd expect it to sit under 100degC at that kind of speed.

Are VRs known to run a bit hot then?

Yup VRs run hot - it's to do with how the engine bay is arranged.

Anything up to 110 at higher speeds is to be expected - but 124 is definitely too high.

I brought my average cruising temp down about 6 degrees just with a decent oil/filter and coolant change.

Try cleaning the connector on the filter housing. The sent signal is very prone to disturbance from corrosion. In English that means it doesn't like being covered in crud! On a pedantic note, the mocal thermostats are open when cold and close off when they get heated with oil.

Mine has the standard VR oil cooler and runs at around 120 most of the time so with a mocal I would say yes that is way too high.