ExR32

Rubber splitters.

Hi all,

Is there ever such a thing as a Rubber/flexible front splitter?

I used to have the 90mm one, now have the 50mm,but just doesnt look as good in my view.

Wondered if anyone has approached a rubber producer to make them so they flex, allowing us to run a 90mm splitter and still be able to get over things, eg the dreaded speedbump.

Opinions welcome.

Im willing to look into it and get prices.

When I had the 90mm one, it looked so good, but it always scraped and seemed to be just that last cm causing me issues in the middle section, where they sit lower than sides.

Just thought if there was a slight bit of movement, whilst it would still hit, we wouldnt run the risk of ripping our front bumper off.

I reckon they would be ripped apart pretty quickly and if not then they would get gauged badly. But it would still be worth a try as mine scrapes every time I come out of a particular Waitrose carpark. It's a little embarrassing.

Im willing to look into it and get prices.

When I had the 90mm one, it looked so good, but it always scraped and seemed to be just that last cm causing me issues in the middle section, where they sit lower than sides.

Just thought if there was a slight bit of movement, whilst it would still hit, we wouldnt run the risk of ripping our front bumper off.

Id be interested in this buddy...

Not sure if or how quick they'd get ripped apart, sure we all look at ours each time we scrape it and to me, its always the final bottom bit, if it were more, we'd split them and wipe them clean off. Just a view but surely good rubber, with what Im thinking of a metal holding bracket will give more flex than a solid effectively old bit of plastic.

Secure it with some thick cable ties :) worked well for mine anyway holds it in place but allows much more flex across the whole splitter when it catches on bumps and humps, have had my 90mm one for a good few years and its only just starting to crack at the corners after a lot of rubbing, cant take any credit for it as I think Stealth did it on my behalf!

I just got the Spoonfed 70mm one, much better and flexible too.

Only thing is that it does still get scratched at the bottom.

tbh i scrape mine on everything, it seems to just bend and deal with it fine. haha

Was going to do the same , you can get 10mm 15mm or 20mm rubber or ebay , my plan was to trace it and make a 100mm deep one or maybe a bit more

All a rubber would do would move back and forth ! Might rub a bit but its better than paying 130 quid or so for a pice of molded plastic !!

Also whoever said abouth the metal bracket that was exactly my thoughts aswell , maybe a bit or 15 x30mm angle cut and bent to the shape and then rivited on

Another shout for the 70mm spoonfed item here. Much more flexible than the original but I'd love to put a 90mm one back on mine if I could.

Seems there are mixed opinions from this, do like the sound of the 70mm one, but think the 90mm is what Corrados should have. The metal bracket I thought would just run across the inside of the spliter, where it mounts to bumper to give the rubber reinforcement where it bolts on.

90mm yeah on a standard corrado running standard suspension. But then why would you want to do that I have the 70mm spoonfed one running kw v1's and believe me a 90mm one wouldn't last long. But it's your car matey ;)

Yes, thats true clumpy1, on mine I did have the 90mm one but had about 2.5cm clearance in middle, now have the 50mm splitter and just doesnt look as good. Admittedly I need to adjust the whole suspension once I get the arches rolled and Borbets back on ;-)

Here's a frankly daft idea :D

One of the Corrados most unique features is the motorised rear spoiler. Wouldn't it be good if a similar system could be setup for the front splitter? Various cars use 'active front spoilers', the two most common being the Mitsubishi GTO and the MKIV Toyota Supra.

As the Corrado already has the systems in place for activating a spoiler at speed, this *should* be easier than most cars.

Oh, i like the idea of 'active'. i dont think thats too daft

surely this can't be too hard to do. there's lots of clever bods on this forum. reckon it could be made to work from the spoiler control unit at speed or a button operation once you reach some bumps. i think the hardest part would be getting that factory look we all love when it's 'deployed'

on my second one and thats starting to give way at the corners now

A video of the Supra one:

And the GTO:

The GTO one looks a simpler system, and the spoiler looks as if it might be around the right shape for a Corrado.

Edited by j_s14a

I have the 70mm Spoonfed item with a moderate height drop and am very happy with it, I think if the car is seriously lowered it has to be the 50mm, even though it doesn't look that good.