Kevin Bacon

Dodgy steering - A cure

Bit rubbish on a £25 part lol :(

Bargain. Last I heard, VW drop links for the VR6 Corrado were £75 a piece.

starting to find something sounds a bit knocky/juddery over lots of small bumps/holes. Got me thinking would the driveshafts have any effect on the wheels?

Funny you should say that mate when youve just changed your suspension. Ive just changed mine and notice little knocks under pedals since ive changed mine. Had a look and the tie rod boot has torn right open. Possibly that knocking on mine, but couldnt see anything else it could be.

anyone wanna buy a corrado :lol: , classic green, aircon, like new recaro leathers, 155,000miles :lol: many new parts

starting to find something sounds a bit knocky/juddery over lots of small bumps/holes. Got me thinking would the driveshafts have any effect on the wheels?

Funny you should say that mate when youve just changed your suspension. Ive just changed mine and notice little knocks under pedals since ive changed mine. Had a look and the tie rod boot has torn right open. Possibly that knocking on mine, but couldnt see anything else it could be.

i've replaced all the tie rods, & ends (£75 a side) :! and the boots, new clips too.

like i say i've put a lot into it recentely and pretty angry with car now as it still crap to drive, can't lose anyone thats behind me, the only time i like car is on a straight smooth road :(

Bit rubbish on a £25 part lol :(

Bargain. Last I heard, VW drop links for the VR6 Corrado were £75 a piece.

just checked vagcat, didnt realise they were different. even more outrageous then for a metal rod with 2 bits of rubber in!

i know, £75 each shocked me, and i probably didn't even need them.

this is why i'm fed up now, spend £1400 now since reading this thread and something is still wrong, i fail to believe one of the best handling FWD cars should feel like mine.

does anyone fancy test driving mine for me? :lol:

just scanning through the post, not sure if this is what is happening with mine, when i first get into it (if its been sat a day) then just at dead straight if you turn the wheel either way it will make a small knock noise, once the car has been drove for maybe half a mile or a mile it just stops and the steering is perfect.

furthermore to my crappy steering, i've found that if i go for a drive say 20-30miles, then park up and leave car for about 1hr, then come back and drive off, the steering is at its worst, very sloppy, very knocky, very vague. Then after a few miles 5 or 10, the steering seems to get a bit better, still crap, but much less knocky????

weirdness

still not been to stealth as i don't wanna go all that way and they just tighten a hose or something. I'm not sure where to look tbh

{{ ARB drop links }} .. £75 each shocked me, and i probably didn't even need them.

I guarantee you did, with 155k on the car .. !

Cracked ball joint found in mot, due to replace it in time for my Stealth visit for a laser wheel alignment.

It's the passenger side ball joint, going round right hand corners the steering gets progressively lighter, to the point where it feels like the front wheels are in the air! Hopefully this will sort it as it was all spot on a year ago when I bought the car.

Cracked ball joint found in mot, due to replace it in time for my Stealth visit for a laser wheel alignment.

It's the passenger side ball joint, going round right hand corners the steering gets progressively lighter, to the point where it feels like the front wheels are in the air! Hopefully this will sort it as it was all spot on a year ago when I bought the car.

thats kinda how mine feels but i changed all them :(

Same here, my steering feels TOO light. When i go over a straight bumpy road the steering wheel goes side to side, its like the steering wheel is too lose or the tyre just arent gripping. No confidence with it at all :(

Ive had a laser wheel alignment done and its spot on, no worn ball joints noticed in last MOT or during the wheel alignment. May be worth chaning the ball joints anyway just to rule it out

I found a steering rack UJ in my garage the other week. Would you like it?

Ooh - yes, yes please! What mileage car did it come off?

Hopefully it sorts mine out, don't fancy replacing the rods aswell and then have to pay for another alignment!

Okay, anyone able to tell me what kind of setup they have to fit the ball joint onto the tie rod on their VR?

Ordered the replacement ball joint from GSF (I know, save the hilarities!) It obviously has a different method of connecting to the tie rod than what is on my car.

My setup has a thread going inside it which the tie rod then screws into, which I thought was pretty standard. The one GSF sent has a kind of bracket sticking out of it where two bolts obviously go through and then there is a groove at the end which something must slot into. Which one is standard on the VR?

Just worried that my VR setup isn't standard? I checked out the GSF website for the VR6 ball joint part number and the number agrees from the site to the invoice and then to the part. Hoping that it was just some berk who packed it wrong but I'm not sure!

...The one GSF sent has a kind of bracket sticking out of it where two bolts obviously go through and then there is a groove at the end which something must slot into. Which one is standard on the VR?...

err, that sounds like a bottom ball joint (one the end of the wishbone), not a track rod end.

Ahh, yes, that would be sensible wouldn't it! Fairly embarassing, never changed or looked at one before, that's my only defence!

I'm sure this will have been covered before :sleeping: but i'll cover it again just incase... stretch fit tyres make the steering and general ride quality very uncomfortable.

I've had 8x16's on a 195/45 stretch on my G60 for almost a year now, and ive just reverted back to original 6.5x15's (195/50/15's). The steering and ride quality have improved so much that ive forgotten why I even fitted aftermarket wheels in the first place. The car absorbs bumps and potholes like it should, instead of pulling you to the side over every anomaly in the road. Bump steer and even torque steer are something of the past and the car just feels alot more 'true' to drive. It feels lighter and more nimble - more like the C people rant about as being one of the best handling FWD car of its time. The only caveat now is the flex you get in the 'balloon' like tyres going round corners. This I can live with. Until I get bored of how it looks.

I would recommend anyone running 7J wheels fit atleast 205 width tyres. 7.5J I'd run with 215 and 8J i'd fit 225 etc. I know this defeats the idea of slamming your C to the ground; but it depends whats more important to you. I drive my car every day and sheer driveability and comfort have become priorities by default. On a show, or weekend driven car you'l no doubt have different icons at the top of your list. I always see manufacturers, no matter how big the wheels, fit tyres with a tread width slightly wider then the width of the wheel itself. The shoulder of the tyre seems to play a vital role in absorbing and transferring loads between the road and suspension correctly. This appears to be well understood by racing teams but by no means is it conclusive. Stretch fit tyres solve all sorts of rubbing issues and usually let you go that 15 - 20mm lower! I guess it's all down to personal preference.

Mani

Tie rods for me next in the ongoing quest to sort my POS out!

i did the rods and after looking at the old ones off the car, there was nothing wrong with them, couldn't see how they could wear really, quite a solid chunk of metal

it's the built-in inner joint on the tie rod though, they do wear (over 100k generally) and can show a lot of play, inner joints are not an MOT item so rarely picked up as worn. Easy to check, engine off, full lock and rock steering, a mate holding the tie rod will feel/hear any play as a knock.

i have that knocking still but have done most things mentioned in the thread, i also have a knocking through the steering at low speeds that is getting worse, and a similar knock as i accelerate