Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

idiots guides

When I was a member of an Astra Forum (no jokes please!) they had an 'idiots guide' forum where people wrote step by step guides to doing things accompanied by photos. It was a really useful feature for people like myself who dont have the experiance that others do and dont know where to start with the basic's. I've got a feeling with some of the experts we have on here there'd be the opportunity for everyone to learn something new. Can i suggest that if anyone does something they feel might be useful to others, the take photos of the stages and give really obvious instructions? what does everyone else think of the idea?

quite a few of us (noticably Kevhaywire ;) ) have done this with a lot of the jobs on their cars... It's something I'll do on any bits I do to my car that I feel other people may need to know how to do... 8)

poetic license on the 'idiot' part! i dont mean the sort of person who goes into halfords asking for a bottle of 710 only to find out they'd been reading the OIL cap upside-down!

But guides reduce repetitive questions

which was the idea!

Idiots shouldn't be working on cars. IMO.

sorry but thats a bit of crappy attitude to take IMO, everyone has to start of somewhere and if where not all here to help each other whats the point. If people are willing to learn but need some guidance I think those who are willing to help should. Thats how ive learnt to do all the work on my cars.

Come you out of all people dont like people messing about and asking stupid questions so why not avoid it from happening???

just my 2p's worth

Chris i totally know where ur coming from and saw ur post about bleeiding the brakes and im planiing to do the corrado in about one-two weeks so ill take a few pics and an easy step by step as its really really easy to do once u know what to do

My rado would have been in the scrappy's by now if it wasn't for this forum, anything that can be done to help the novice for learning or the expert for giving has gotta be good news - for everyone :|

Chris i totally know where ur coming from and saw ur post about bleeiding the brakes and im planiing to do the corrado in about one-two weeks so ill take a few pics and an easy step by step as its really really easy to do once u know what to do

brilliant alex, I'm sure that'll help out a few people not just me! as to PhatVR6's comment, i can see where he's coming from in a way, if theres people out there stupid enough to paint their brake disc's and pads silver then anythings possible! i guess its just a case of knowing your limits, if theres a how-to posted about doing a 4WD conversion I'm damn sure i wont be trying it! :mrgreen:

would be a very good idea,best put in a seperate "HOW TO SECTION"

Yeah, best leave the term 'Idiots Guides' to the Astra Forum :lol:

where are the mods, make a "How to section" we should also try and put all of the previous "how to's" on there from the site to consolidate everything into one place! its a great idea!

Yep the Mods have insufficient priviliges to alter the look and layout of the forum.

I am happy to provide picture guides for most things.

I agree there needs to be a 'How to' sub-forum as I've done a few guides already which are now buried deep within the myriads of posts.

K

Kev, don't you keep guides on your PC somewhere, e,g word format or better still pdf format? I would have thought this would be better if only there was someone to host them.

Yeah I have got them on the PC still Dave. I think I've got a copy of Adobe 6 pro somewhere too, so PDFs are a good plan. They're chunkier than word files though unfortunately due to the way it renders images from text, but PDFs are handy for folk that don't have word.

Do you guys want to start building a list of desired guides then?

I've already done -

Sunroof overhaul - But Mike Edwards is the centre of expertise on that, no question.

Jammed bonnet releasing

Seat bolster replacement

Roof gutter trim replacement

A/F meter making and fitting

High level brake light making and fitting

And maybe 1 or 2 others I've forgotten about

What we want to avoid is having an online Bentley manual, so keep it to things that have a number of precautions too observe.

We don't need things like How to change brake pads, spark plugs, wheels, bulbs that kind of stuff otherwise the really useful stuff will be lost amongst stuff that takes 2 minutes to work out yourselves.

Sound reasonable?

K

I totally agree with the idea of posting how to guides - if youre working on the car why not take a few photos while youre at it and possibly help someone else out?

As for myself I don't know how many would be interested in keeping their ar$es warm in the summer but I posted the seat heater element guide anyway :lol: :lol:

Idiots shouldn't be working on cars. IMO.

:oops: :oops: thats why i leave mine to mechanics/mechanically minded ppl :oops: :oops: :lol: :-P :-P

As I've said in the past, we should have a forum for these threads and it should be locked so that the Mods move threads in there and it's basically just acting as a reference section.

Hi guys (and girls) - first post I think!

imho its a great idea - I'm trying to learn my way around mechanically, so other than the help on a knowledgable friend, onlien howto's would definately help, especially seeing as they would be car specific. tbh even if people are pants at this kind of thing first off, it doesn't mean they're not enthusiastic to get their hands dirty...

Just found this, and think its a excellent idea! I would wholeheartedly support it, and would no-doubt be in need of it at some point soon. It could avoid people like me accidentally breaking things while they try to repair them. Especially when it comes to fiddly, temperamental bits like the spoiler, sunroof or heater controls...