Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Parcel shelf Olympics

OK, everytime I drive down my daily country road route, the parcel shelf jumps up and down over the bumps, even pretty minor ones. It's irritating as I can feel it through the floor and obviously hear it, which sounds like the exhaust knocking on the axle/strut bolts but it isn't, it's the damn shelf - which has speakers on it btw.

What I want to know is how you guys keep your shelves still? The foam blocks are present on my tailgate and it's clipped into the holders by the seat fully. For the time being I've screwed the shelf to the supports and it's worked, but it's impractical when shopping etc. The standard way of keeping the shelf still isn't working, so have any you got any tips for keeping that spring board still?

Cheers

K

Yep, lift the tailgate or look in the rear view mirror and you should see a large black foam block at each end, glued to the tailgate. These are *supposed* to press down on the tailgate end of the parcel shelf, but aren't very effective.

K

Am I the only person with this problem? Can't believe that for one minute........

Maybe I'm the only person that cares about it, LOL!

K

if you can't stop the rattling, maybe put some rubber material on the contact surfaces to help with the noise and vibrations in the floor?

On a variation of the nodding dog theme, just get a pretty laydee to lie down on the shelf whilst you are driving.

HTH

Velcro on the corners where it sits on the plastic side bits. (Techy description.) 8)

One of the first things I done to my vr after having the same prob in my old 16v.

yup I used sticky back velcro on my first 'rado... 8)

Only thing is that it makes a ripping noise when you open the boot which can make people a bit worried the first time they open your boot for you! :lol:

I just noticed there are no foam blocks on my C either :( but wasn't causing me a problem. Now I don't like having something missing if it should be there so I'll put some on, I might even notice a difference.

look at where the rubber stops of the parcel shelf slot into the plastic slots of the plastic side panels (rear speaker units)

these are usually broken off and you will find that the shelf will move slightly up and down if you grab it and try to move it.

Drastic (+expensive) solution would be to replace these rear side panels in order to get unbroken slots, but I suppose black tape wrapped around the rubber and then getting a tight fit into the slots may work.

I haven't tried it yet but will get round to it soon......

anyone else tried any good solutions here? Kev did you come with anything? Dont really fancy the velcro 'ripping', tbh.

I've got some extra thick black foam [8mm approx] which makes excellent replacements for the tired OEM blocks which fell off.

i used some little but very powerfull magnets to hold my shelf's in place, worked great even when i had a stealth shelf fitted.

i used some little but very powerfull magnets to hold my shelf's in place, worked great even when i had a stealth shelf fitted.

No thanks, I've seen that thread in off-topic. :gag:

No thanks, I've seen that thread in off-topic. :gag:

????

the early and late shelves are different aren't they?

the early one on my 16v never moves or makes a noise even when I had stupidly firm dampers on the back, I wonder what's going on then, does the late shelf not have the raised shape on the edge where the foam buffers touch :shrug: or are you guys all supporting wopping great speakers in the shelves, cutting holes in genuine corrado shelf :nono:

I have standard shocks on mine plus i'll have the speedies back on so should be fairly soft. My shelf also has those raised parts on them, just no rubber blocks on the boot lid. As Pianowire mentioned you feel the rumble right through the chassis and me being paranoid about creaks rattles and rumbles, kept thinking this was the exhaust.

I have this problem, with an mdf shelf though, is yours the original Kev? I was thinking of reverting to that...