southerner88

Aaron's VR6 - is now R32'd - that sweet, sweet noise! (Page 20)

Some more progress today...thanks goes to Russ (again). Shes sat on the drive feeling very sorry for herself

b32028ce7912006a6f103ad2539a84e9.jpg

CAR PARTS!!!!!

81197220eea418927a7e0a6263699cdb.jpg

Current progress...just ordered a few more of the little niggly bits but on the whole its starting to take shape....

4f3d5c4e57d89396470fefa8b6892296.jpg

8eef812882de0ffa210d9d2002026825.jpg

4d7a362b45612f8591ee1fc45a07ea51.jpg

c5d308a442976fe4a0991500b72c7bc4.jpg

The working environment...

bb3eae09da8c4b2f927188d210efaabd.jpg

struggling to keep anything clean at the minute! I have now sprayed the inlet manifold too so that also looks nice and shiny, will try and get a pic up soon, starting on the brake servo and lines Monday and Tuesday hopefully! Things might just be starting to come together on this build now...

Some progress again, the engine is starting to get all the parts on, couple of confusing areas to do with the oil cooler and crack pipe but on the whole we are managing. Starter motor is now sprayed up and attached, a working alternator is also now on.

Water pump pulley is appearing a difficult part to source, as is the echaust manifold gaskets bizarrely, there are so many im not sure which are right!

The inlet manifold is also now sprayed up so looks lovely and clean. Cleaned my non abs brake servo and fitted that today too, looks awesome i think but i need to source a spacer for master cyclinder part to fit flush...

A lot done and a lot more to do! Will keep updating!

9ac46190f4be5630d4f0709ed347e629.jpg

e703c1870a2b69317d14880a9025618c.jpg

447e29e16b96e3b232ef04ba48334541.jpg

af73f1538c21340ba05f88a1df23ac14.jpg

Sent from my LG-D856 using Tapatalk

awesome! in regards to wanting your brakelines black, I had a thought awhile back about using heat shrink tube {for wiring} on them , slide it over the tube before making any bends, flares etc , they come in long enough lengths and cheap too! just not sure how they would handle the bends/curves..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Various-Sizes-Lengths-Black-Heat-Shrink-Tube-Sleeving-Car-Wire-Wrap-Heatshrink-/191533541892?var=&hash=item2c9849ea04:m:mrLVsIX5y6iQsLg2CcUSbTg

These are kunifer, should last year's and if they need taking off they don't twist and snap like copper..

Hopefully have the engine in for you next week mate if we can find out what aux belt we need..

I believe it's a 6pk1264 but I'll have to double check, I know I had a nightmare getting the right size as someone sausage fingered a response and said I needed a 1624. If I remember correctly it's the same length as vr6 but with more teeth (6 as opposed to 4) hence the part number

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've used kunifer this time and we used it on els golf, they polish up really nice. I was tempted to try the using wire heatshrink on them and heating t up but I figured it might look poop on the bends!

Painting would be the best option imo

So, taken advise from my local SAS, don't know if I'm brave or stupid... Told them I needed the 6pk1264 belt. He said they have the 6pk1263 which apparently will be a perfect fit still, its just a fraction shorter which can be compensated for with the tensioner? does this sound about right?

Hopefully getting the water pump pulley this week too if I get chance to get to VW, then the engine is good to be placed into the bay! exciting times!

It will be 1mm shorter so it will be fine!

6pk means it's a 6 rib and the 1263 is the length in mm :)

Well, today was eventful with the engine! Managed to get my new pulleys on, and then got the belt on. Also got the mk5 oil cooler on with the crack pipe and thermostat housing. Was properly chuffed with it all until i came to try and put the engine loom on!

It turns out that to plug the loom to the injector rail, you need to have the inlet manifold off, sounds simple enough right....

To get the inlet manifold off, you have to have the bracket that holds the steering pump and alternator off, to get that off you have to take the belt off and the alternotor and stwering pump. So basically i had to take most of what i have been trying to put on back off to make six clicks. Bad times.

BUT, the loom is now pretty much on, and all the parts are back on too, so i think the engine is pretty much ready to try and put in the bay now. Couple of small bits, need to make a blanking plate for something on the back of the engine, and sort of the oil sensors too. Then its hack away at the front mount till it fits!

7459db9bc4101e13bcff681b7ab9261f.jpg

And what a lovely day for it too

11670ae38a0db89a219f2c1cbcefb2ae.jpg

So now it has finally stopped hailing at me, I thought it best to make a start on the wiring side things.

Cut a hole in the bulkhead to run the looms from the passenger side as have now decided to run all the looms in one big bundle through the bay instead of down the chassis legs.

So today's task was basically to try and get all the looms back into the car. All the main connectors are back into the fusebox, hopefully in the right place, and the looms run along the heater matrix and out of my new hole (just under where the ABS pump used to be). The battery cable is run from the boot through to the bay too.

I need to extend the old lighting loom as it now runs down the other side of the bay and isn't long enough and then hook everything up with a battery and test it all still works. Planning to test all electrics on the car before moving any further with the build. IF, everything works fine, then its engine in time, if not, lots more coffee and head scratching!

P.S. I forgot just how much I hate wiring looms and Corrado fusebox's

More progress!

We now have all (most) electrics working..lights, fogs, indicators, horn, clocks etc etc, only things not working at the minute are the spoiler and electric windows, but will sort those out when she is running! Getting wayyy to excited for this to be done now!

5407478d81020816d355f0f380c944fc.jpg

46d6c837fd64a77a72b7ebec9096cf13.jpg

And have just left these in a cocktail of harmful and corrosive liquids in an an attempt to get some of the rust off! Will update you all in the morning!

8b235aa7a1b91a51a9d8a9c84754101d.jpg

0d7aae1b1b46341e731939aa08ab3e9b.jpg