VAG-hag

GB feelier: slim fan brackets

Chris (VagHag) is sending me the templates so I can get them drawn up and a set lasered.

If anyone wants any they could put their name on here and I can get more sorted.

yes please (Hasan)

I've got an 11/6 but I'm looking at aircon and maybe a turbo in the future so a bit of forward planning more than anything. No mad rush :-)

It's not necessary to use two fans at all, the Spals etc are so much better at shifting air than the oem ones. What is good is fitting a resistor to one of the 12V feeds (the resistor is inside the fan on the oem ones) so that you retain the two speeds. You can use the headlight resistor up by the battery if you are no longer using it. A smaller fan just cools part of the radiator and misses all the water that goes either side of it so you get hot spots in the rad which isn't good.

I've got 1 11 inch Revotec fan and it keeps the engine at 92c quite easily even on a hot day. Modern slim lines are massively efficient both in terms of noise, airflow and operating power draw. My slimline will draw a max of 7 amps according to the tech info where as the stock fans are rated at something like 40 amps for half the airflow.

You got it drawn up Chris? Sorry just haven't had chance to finish up my drawing yet. Can I get 1 please

Edited by swiftkid

I would be very interested in a set of these.

On a separate note with new fans how does the electrical side of things tie up? I'm guessing it's not simple plug and play?

I've got them drawn on the spal fans but these mount the same as the ones in swiftkids link.

Cool chris well ill probs take a set of these aswell mate , can you post a link up to the exact fan that the brackets have been designed for mate just so i can see what there like and price it up

On a separate note with new fans how does the electrical side of things tie up? I'm guessing it's not simple plug and play?

Not quite, the three power feeds to the original fans are all 12v switched lives, the cables are just different thicknesses to allow for the huge current the original fan can draw. A slimline will draw no more than 10amps so you can use a thinner wire.

I stripped the insulation wrapping back to the battery area, cut all three wires for the old fans and combined them there and ran a single wire from the combined wires to the plug on the fan.

For the fan itself, I took the plastic plug off which left me with 2 spade connectors. I then fitted spade connectors to my single power feed and earth and then then shrink wrapped over them for insulation and a bit more security and went from there.

If I were to do it again, I would add a resistor to the stage 1 feed before where I combined the wires so that I still had 2 stages. It's not normally needed but I want to add air con in the future and don't want to have my fans going max chat just because I turned my aircon on!

Can you elaborate a little on the resistors sean? Ive wired mine so that they're single speed and bridged the second speed connection as a failsafe. But to have a two speed setup would be preferable.

I've not got specific resistor value from memory fla, ill try and post them up later for you.

Bridge all 3 feeds incase the radiator switch fails completely in which case you'll have no fan control.

Hi Chaps,

Thats the drawings sent for laser profiling so the sample set will hopefully be done next week. Once I know they are all correct and fit as they should I will be good for getting more done.

The brackets getting done at the moment are for an 11" and 9" fan so hopefully this will suit everyone, I guess it wouldnt take much effort to change the fan sizes if required as long as they fit the radiator!!

Maybe if someone wants to start a list of those interested in a set?