Jim

Wanted - VR6 MAF Sensor & Coilpack

Does anyone happen to have a known good, working, and reasonably priced Mass Airflow Sensor and Coilpack going for a VR6? Looking to get to the bottom of a slight misfire that seems to happen at idle and I know these two are regular culprits for this.

Cheers.

I have two spare coilpacks Jim, one genuine although slightly damaged on the casing, and one aftermarket. Both tested in perfect working order though. I'd be happy to send it up to you foc if you just want to rule yours out mate?

That would be extremely awesome. My coil pack I picked up from VW cheap from my friendly parts guy a couple of years ago as 'new old stock' so it *should* be fine, but I just want to rule it out. Shall I fire you over a PM? I'd cover your postage charge of course and then get it back to you once I ruled it out.

Cheers.

Good work Sean.... this has got me thinking.... maybe we could have a 'please could I borrow' section.

For example, my ABS is goosed, I've got a replacement pump unit but don't really want to change it only to find out it's the ecu.

However Rob has kindly offered to lend my his spare ecu to fault find, this has worked well at a local level but it would be awesome to do at forum / club level.

Rog.

I have a spare maf sensor Jim,as per Sean ,happy to let you try it before you buy.you will have to get part number though as I think there are 2 types

Problem with that though Rog is that it's open to abuse. I'm happy to do it for those I know or trust, as they're forum regulars and have been around for quite a while. I'd be reluctant to send something potentially worth a few quid to someone I don't really know though.

Good work Sean.... this has got me thinking.... maybe we could have a 'please could I borrow' section.

For example, my ABS is goosed, I've got a replacement pump unit but don't really want to change it only to find out it's the ecu.

However Rob has kindly offered to lend my his spare ecu to fault find, this has worked well at a local level but it would be awesome to do at forum / club level.

Rog.

The offer is still open Rog ,as and when you need it Rog

Rob

I have a small collection of MAF sensors. Hot Film later type as opposed to Hot Wire type on the earlier VRs. I'm happy to post you one to try. Sort me out later. ;)

I have a spare maf sensor Jim,as per Sean ,happy to let you try it before you buy.you will have to get part number though as I think there are 2 types

Cool - will have to stick my head under the bonnet at some point over the weekend and drop you a line? Cheers :)

Your has the the plastic MAF IIRC Jim, which is a lot cheaper than the older metal one!

MAF issues usually manifest themselves as flat spots, cutting out pulling up to junctions and surging when cruising at 2000ish rpm.

Question for you though Kev on the MAF.. I tried disconnecting mine the other night, with the engine running - seemed to immediately sound smoother. If I left it disconnected and plugged it back in, the engine would dip in revs and misfire a little and then continue to run but not sound quite as sweet as it did with it disconnected. Is that normal for disconnecting / reconnecting the MAF?

And I do indeed have a plastic MAF as you say :)

General rule of thumb is if it drives better with it disconnected, the MAF is definitely shot! Can't hurt to try another one anyway as it's not always as clear cut as that.

Yeah those are perfect symptoms of a failing MAF Jim. I have the aftermarket coil on mine at the moment (forgot which one I put in when diagnosing something else) so the one I've got with me is a Bosch one. I'll get it off this afternoon via Myhermes if that's ok. Can you PM me your number for a contact for the delivery driver please. Cheers mate!

OK - nevermind, thanks Darren!

So - seems like from my basic description the MAF is goosed then. Maybe have to take a punt on a new one. Seem to see Bosch ones on eBay for about £100? I can stomach that I think..?

Hmmmm, I wouldn't be too surprised if an ebay or GSF / ECP one makes no diference. I remember trying 2 from GSF once. 1st one was DOA, engine wouldn't even run. 2nd one gave no improvement. A known good, but used, original one was perfect.

I got a VW exchange one for my R32 yesterday (from Neil) and that was £106 inc VAT, which is also the all plastic flavour. I wonder how much one for yours would be? The metal ones are astronomical, about £400, and dealer only and outright only!!

Hm - might be best speaking to VW then. Will find the part number tomorrow and swing in for a quote.

Odd thing is with the exchange ones is they fit a new housing as well as a new sensor, so why they call it exchange I don't know! Outright is about £300 for mine, so it's a mental saving!

I guess never look the (very rare) Volkswagen gift horse in the mouth ;)

Not sure how accurate VAG-CAT's pricing is but it reckons 181 euro for a VR6 MAF... hmm...

I had this a few weeks ago when I had my running issues. Replaced MAF twice and ISV twice. Turned out to be a friggin tiny hairline split in the fuel tank breather hose, which only opened up randomly.

At the time Vince gave me these MAF part no's from Eurocarparts.

Late "film" type

434440230 - £84 plus exchange deposit

Early "wire" type

434440480 - £215 plus exchange

These are for a 1998 2.8 Golf. Enter Reg "R109EHP" and search for MAF.

You don't need to change the housing. Just use torx to remove the sensor from the new and swap with the old.

ISV I got brand new for £30 from e-Bay. Search for Bosch Part No. 0280140559 - Manufacturer "LOEWE"

(we should sticky this info)

The hose I needed is obsolete from VW but available from Classic Parts here in Germany for...... €95 !!

Ordered a Ford Galaxy one instead. **** Not exactly the same and wouldn't suit someone using a normal VR. The original had a t-piece and tube masked off by Stealth during my Supercharger install. The Ford one is just a straight pipe. But at €40 was less than half the price and perfect for me.*** I won't post that part no. here as it is not useful to NA running VRs. Part #2 on this diagram.

http://eucatparts.com/?action=cat_ford_part&s_id_part=24538&s_id_model=98

Edited by MikeVR6

That's excellent info - thanks! And the price for the MAF is not too horrifying at all.

That's excellent info - thanks! And the price for the MAF is not too horrifying at all.

The early one is! With exchange it's over £300 from ECP.

Both come with the complete plastic tube. I wish they'd just sell the sensor on its own!

Happy to post you one of my spare MAFs (sensor only mind). See if it works for you. I wouldn't do this for everyone but we've met and we're Forum Oldtimers :)

Best thing to do is get another VR6 owner to call round and do a quick swap to prove the fault. Have you had the car on VAGCOM?

The sensor takes literally 2 minutes to remove. If you have the right Torx screwdriver bit.