Portent

Thoughts on Mercedes SL 1980's era?

An interesting opportunity has arisen. A few months ago I got talking to an elderly gentleman at a local petrol station. He had a 1980's era Mercedes SL. I think it was the 280SL. It was in a very period gold/bronze with matching brown cloth interior. It was in great condition and when he made a throwaway comment about selling it I left him my number and thought no more of it. The provenance of the car is very good having been owned by his late wife for many, many years, coming from a fairly nice area and having only 2 or 3 owners I recall.

Surprisingly he recently called me and asked if I would be interested in buying it. I am going to have a look at it at the weekend. Does anyone have any experience of these? I wasn't particularly looking for a car like this but my wife loves it and the general condition and provenance of the car is certainly worth a second look. I don't yet know what he wants for it and I haven't yet looked at the car beyond the glance at it before.

This isn't the car but it is very similar:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mercedes-benz/280sl/mercedes-benz-280sl--1984/2232764

I doubt it would be a replacement for the Corrado so would be an additional car. But it just may have the potential to be a good investment while being something to enjoy on sunny days.

I'd have one. Shame it's not slightly earlier but fantastic looking cars.

How much, if you don't mind?

That was made when Mercedes were building quality vehicle's!

Very nice & like you say an investment!

Should be a good investment. I've always liked these and 1990's replacements.

I'd have one. Shame it's not slightly earlier but fantastic looking cars.

How much, if you don't mind?

He mentioned "around £7k" when I saw him at the petrol station a few months ago but I don't know if that is what he wants now. I wanted to have a good look over it before discussing price. I've had a google and they seem to sell between £5k to £12k. It wasn't perfect of course and I only had a cursory glance at it before so I need to look at it in detail. But it gave the impression of a loved car. It really wasn't the sort of thing I'm looking for but it had a certain charm about it.

The earlier cars sell for a lot more (which is a good indicator of possible future value, maybe).

Lovely!

I have no experience of them, but that bodge of a classic car show "classic car rescue" had one and although a complete lemon, it looked as though one area to look out for was a hidden section in the bulkhead that can rot badly and is v expensive to replace.

They look like they are holding good avlue now, but I think the 90's versions are at near rock bottom now and would probably be a better bet in the long run (depending on taste of course).

But all in all very classy.

Plus you can pretend you are Luke Skywalker in the speeder ;-)

Dougie

A proper car. Over engineered and pure class.

On my wish list and would definitely be one of the cars in my "dream garage".

I am pleasantly surprised by the positive comments and was expecting a few "it's just an old car" comments instead.

Lovely!

I have no experience of them, but that bodge of a classic car show "classic car rescue" had one and although a complete lemon, it looked as though one area to look out for was a hidden section in the bulkhead that can rot badly and is v expensive to replace.

They look like they are holding good avlue now, but I think the 90's versions are at near rock bottom now and would probably be a better bet in the long run (depending on taste of course).

But all in all very classy.

Plus you can pretend you are Luke Skywalker in the speeder ;-)

Dougie

Now there is the dilema. The later W129 from the 90's is a cracking bargain. In pure drivers terms it's much. much better but loses out on the retro cool factor. Good call though.

i used to love the 450slc! Also the 450 sel 6.9 saloon. I'm not generally a merc fan but those two were childhood favourites.

Very nice . Oozing retro style . As Hasan said, this one was a childhood favourite . Bags of style a true Mercedes !

Edited by robrado974

My father owned a few when I was a kid. We did a driving holiday to the south of Spain in a white 350sl not fun sat in the back but loved it so smooth!

Well I took a look and had a long test drive. He wants more than originally expected unfortunately (9.5k). Mechanically it seems sound and has a huge history of work done. Owned for 17 years. It was in generally good condition but a few marks here and there. It drove very nicely indeed but it certainly felt like a car from an older era even compared to the Corrado. As ever I was amazed how nice the Corrado feels when I get back in it.

I think at the price he wants I will probably pass as there are other cars I would prefer at that price point although I'm not particularly looking for a new car.

Crackin choice Dox I love these they still look good today and a big lazy 3.5 bmw engine to waft you along

Sorry totally forgot to say the Merc also get's the big thumbs up they are well built one's from that era and made from quality components like the Corrado :)

Edited by clumpy1

An interesting opportunity has arisen. A few months ago I got talking to an elderly gentleman at a local petrol station. He had a 1980's era Mercedes SL. I think it was the 280SL. It was in a very period gold/bronze with matching brown cloth interior. It was in great condition and when he made a throwaway comment about selling it I left him my number and thought no more of it. The provenance of the car is very good having been owned by his late wife for many, many years, coming from a fairly nice area and having only 2 or 3 owners I recall.

Surprisingly he recently called me and asked if I would be interested in buying it. I am going to have a look at it at the weekend. Does anyone have any experience of these? I wasn't particularly looking for a car like this but my wife loves it and the general condition and provenance of the car is certainly worth a second look. I don't yet know what he wants for it and I haven't yet looked at the car beyond the glance at it before.

This isn't the car but it is very similar:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mercedes-benz/280sl/mercedes-benz-280sl--1984/2232764

I doubt it would be a replacement for the Corrado so would be an additional car. But it just may have the potential to be a good investment while being something to enjoy on sunny days.

Glorious. I went to a car show in Germany a few weeks back and it was huge - and PACKED with 50's-80's Mercs. It was incredible. It's given me even more of an appreciation for them than I already had - there was some stunning cars there.

So this sort of purchase would well and truly get the full thumbs up from me :)

That's beautiful. I love that too.

I'm currently looking into the 90s Merc SL (R129) as they seem cracking value for what you get.

That's beautiful. I love that too.

I'm currently looking into the 90s Merc SL (R129) as they seem cracking value for what you get.

You do get alot for your money with them and they are uber:cool:

Can't help but think of this everytime I see one of those 80s SLs

C50055D8-B69A-41FD-AA9B-5E7C2A50F69F.jpg

Love your way of thinking Jamie I had a severe liking for Ms Principal in the 80's :razz: