Portent

New car series may be worth watching - tonight BBC2 9pm

Nah it's a completely new series about communism and cars.

I like James May. I can't watch anything Hammond presents on his own, but May I can watch for hours.

He tries too hard I think, whereas it seems to come naturally to May, plus he's genuinely interested in his subject matter. Hammond is just a media whore.

I found the program really enjoyable and interesting.

My wife fell asleep.

Says a lot about my interest in all things automotive and engineering!

Nah it's a completely new series about communism and cars.

I like James May. I can't watch anything Hammond presents on his own, but May I can watch for hours.

I agree, I met James may once at book signing, he was a really nice chap.

I know a guy who worked on an app for Hammond, said he was a massive self important **** with small man syndrome.

Looks like a good program, I'll have to watch it on iplayer

Just watched it on iPlayer really interesting and James May is better on his own.

I like the way he gives a little bit of history about the areas the cars were made in and what went on at the time too . I'm a bit of a Cold War nerd so that was interesting for me .

I know a guy who worked on an app for Hammond, said he was a massive self important **** with small man syndrome.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest!

He works as the butt of Clarkson's jokes on Top Gear, but aside from that I'm not a fan. That live show he did about wildlife in Africa was just embarrassingly bad!

Fairly enjoyed it, there seems to be a good few car programmes coming onto mainstream TV these days.

I think TV execs are cottoning onto the fact that we all might have outgrown top gear a little bit.

I know the yanks created "Christine" as the car from hell, but did anyone else think that black Beetle was particularly sinister? The fact of who owned it, that it was an original prototype built by Dr Porsche and that old Adolf himself might have seen/been in it, made it extremely creepy.

The little 500 looked a lot of fun too

Dougie

Fairly enjoyed it, there seems to be a good few car programmes coming onto mainstream TV these days.

I think TV execs are cottoning onto the fact that we all might have outgrown top gear a little bit.

I know the yanks created "Christine" as the car from hell, but did anyone else think that black Beetle was particularly sinister? The fact of who owned it, that it was an original prototype built by Dr Porsche and that old Adolf himself might have seen/been in it, made it extremely creepy.

The little 500 looked a lot of fun too

Dougie

I think TV execs have also noticed an increased demand for high quality documentaries & dramas because our TV network is filling up with utter trash!

I loved the detail May went into, but that's his thing :)

Can't believe the last LADA rolled off the production line in 2012 and the build quality of the purple one, complete with paint runs, was hilarious :)

Im a lot younger than you lot of oap's haha but i loved the fiat 124 i think it was ?? The 60 bhp one with disk brake !! Then lada copied it and made it rubbish !! Saying that it still out did the range rover but not sure if that was maybe a little set up

Just watched it on catch up, as above really enjoyed it, May is good, I've enjoyed most of his programs, man lad and the toy one were particularly good but then he is an educated man and that shows in his programs.

TBH Clarkson is also a good watch at times, the VC program he did was awesome as was the program about Brunel, Hammond on the other hand is just there for comic effect, which by the way he does very badly.

Rog.

I think TV execs have also noticed an increased demand for high quality documentaries & dramas because our TV network is filling up with utter trash!

I loved the detail May went into, but that's his thing :)

Can't believe the last LADA rolled off the production line in 2012 and the build quality of the purple one, complete with paint runs, was hilarious :)

Lol , I was an agricultural mechanic when I left school in 85. The dealership I worked in sold deutz far tractors (spelt wrong ?) anyway the tractors had the same steering wheels , indicators and a lot of interior parts that were on the Ladas and skodas at the time . The tractors ran as well as the cars . Good old eastern bloc.

Edited by robrado974

I watched it on iplayer and thoroughly enjoyed both the content and May's presentation. I'll be watching again.

Yep - watched it last night. Enjoyable watch. Often seemed to threaten silly Top Gear moments but always managed to reign itself in. Great stuff.

Agree with all comments so far, Hammond needs put down. After being in Moscow a few times it doesnt suprise me about the Lada still being produced up to 2012. They like cheap nasty products!!

I noitce that he will probably be doing a hot hatch or 80's one which will be good to see.