ross k

vinnie the blackberry vr6,full electric recaros full stainless exhaust and amg pentas

Compressed air would be the best bet I reckon Ross. Question, that inlet is off a 2.9 VR isnt it? It's just if it came off a 2.8 it has a smaller and more restrictive plenum, so you'll loose some performance. You may already be aware of that but just thought I'd point it out mate.

i am aware sean cheers for the heads up though yeh ill give it a good blow through with an air line its the 2.9 inlet i had a look online before i painted it to tell the difference cheers

sorry to jump on your thread mate, but can you or anyone tell me, when removing the plastic covers off the manifold there are two screws with what I thought were torx heads on them, but my torx allen keys are short of a few points when lined up, and the screw don't look in the best shape so want to get the right tool before it rounds off

any ideas?

no worries mate thanks for bringing it to my attention i also thought they were torx screws so hopefully someone will come along and point us in the right direction

Theyre known as multi spline or multi point. Same number of teeth as drive shaft bolts as well. I bought a set off of eBay a few years ago and they've served me well.

Hi guys had the car on vagcom and its showing a fault with sensor g28 and the it says the abs has to many faults to pinpoint one basically what sensor is g28 does anyone know thanks ross

G28 is engine speed sensor (crank sensor), you'll get this code if you scan the car without the engine running, if you have a spark and fuel injected its unlikely to be faulty

Cheers dox sounds like other than the abs its got a clean bill of health but it does takea fair while to start it especially when warm

I think a few here have had long cranking issues that have been sorted with replacing the cam sensor? Check the wiring and plug to it (by the coil pack or dizzy above the gearbox on the side of the engine).

cheers for the advice dox. Update got my hands on a full exhaust i think its a magnex system got the lot for 100 pound cat included a bargain i think set about putting it on today it started well and had the old one of within the hour put the new one on ok but the drivers door swung open while jacked up straight into a bench and made a car park style dent on it to say i was fuming is an understatement, really losing the love with this car you sort one thing and it just seems to bite straight back. It runs a little better now but is a bit to quiet i think a bmc cda would help this also managed to bag some as new corrado script mats for 16 pound of ebay anyway heres some pics

out with the old

DSC_1999.jpg

in with the new

DSC_2000.jpg

Dont lose the love mate , the day your out and all is good and your thrashing down some scenic b roads you will be glad you have it

Well said "young un" ;)

Wow, good deal on that exhaust, looks like New! As said, you'll understand the love when your feathering the throttle at about 4k rpm round a corner, then plant it as your exiting and the burble of the beautiful silky v6 sings to you! I can't wait to get mine back.......... :(

cheers for the words of encouragment guys. Another day and more work on the car i changed the front disks and pads which went quite well but now the car has decided to lock me out of the drivers door all the other doors lock and unlock but the drivers door wont unlock with the battery on or of and you cant pull the pin up to get it open gahhh

the old disks fairly lipped

DSC_2004.jpg

DSC_2003.jpg

the ass with its new tail pipe

DSC_2001.jpg

another day another problem ive been working away recently and ive been using a work van anyway i decided i was going to get some use out of the car and use it this week. I set of at 7 this morning sat in traffic for an hour and temps on the car kept climbing they started tipping over 100 which seemed pretty hot to me but i know others had said its fine but once the water on the bonnet from the rain started steaming i knew it was time to stop leaving me on the hard shoulder in the rain until it cooled and traffic died down at which point i drove it home pretty annoyed to be honest im thinking new temp sensors and check the fan wiring maybe wire a switch in for good measure.There was no obvious fan kick in where the temp would drop again it just slowly rose to a peak of just over 100 and oil 116 but as i said i could feel the heat inside the car and the bonnet started steaming any help appreciated feeling quite lost now looks like it will sit on my drive another week with no use!!!

you talking evaporation? have you got the thermal hood lining, i suspect if the bonnet is warm to touch and the rain is cold you will to some extent get evaporation, happens if you turn on the heaters full in the cab, evaporation will come off any glass thats hotter on the inside than out

suppose it depends on how bad the steaming was

well it was enough steam to look like it was overheating and no there wasnt any bonnet foam but the heat in the cabin was really apparent

I wouldnt worry iv seen my vr get to 128 when its been ragged abd that never popped , its getting cold now and without the foam stuff the bonnet will be hot so and wet on it will probably steam , my vr does the same

I saw 146 degrees oil temp in my vr when it wasn't running right and the engine was still OK, if it does start getting hot maybe think of going to 10w50.

As for water temp there's plenty of threads about making sure the fan works in each stage on here, Bridge contacts in yellow temp sensor, black and rad temp sensor. But i wouldn't worry too much about water vapour from your bonnet, when it's raining mine does it all the time and I have no foam. Also bare in mind the best operating temp for an engine is around 100 degrees anyway

well update did a full coolant change checked all the fans and changed the rad sensor and it all seems ok at the moment i was thinking the thermostat was stuck shut but wouldnt this cause the car to over heat after only a short run out?it has sprung a small leak from the black temp sender all i did was unplug the wire of it anyone got any ideas on stopping it leaking also wired a stage three switch in thanks Ross