Stuvr6

Blue Smoke

Hi guys,

i have recently bought a beautiful 1994 VR6.The car has been used as a weekend toy (if even that) for the last 4-5 years but i now use it daily,it has covered 4k in that 4-5 years time and is in beautiful condition and runs faultless,until.Today i noticed that it let out a heavy puff of blue smoke on throttle,changed gear,still did it but less,then it cleared.only noticed it once but someone saw a little puff of blue earlier last week but nothing major.Dont think it is anything serious as it has only happened a few random times,had a recent service with fresh oil etc.any help would be appreciated.

Is the oil level above max? Could be dumping it out if so and burning off through the exhaust. Generally the blue smoke starts on cold start up and gets progressively worse if it's valve stem seals, although not always the case.

Yeah that's right,just a bit stumped as it has only happened a few times.it only did around 300 miles this year before I bought it so maybe something is sticking or I've been told if there is some carbon build up around the valves and pistons it "could" let a drop or two through then burn off in the exhaust.not sure what oil is in her but the guy who owned it before certainly cared for it properly.even so with it been sat I might do a engine flush and put fresh oil in

Try an 'Italian tune-up', might clear things out a bit. Then throw in some cheap oil, run for around 20 miles, drain and replace oil and filter with proper oil.

I'm wondering if, when serviced (depending on the garage that did it), they just used too thin an oil - like put that usual 5w30 stuff in that most modern VW's use which is way too thin for the VR6.

I'd consider servicing it again and going with some good quality 10w40 (e.g. Shell Helix, or VW's Synta Silver, etc) and see if the problem persists?

Stem seals can cause smoke immediately after over run when back on throttle. Also worn exhaust valve guides. I'd try thicker oil first as a cheap solution to see if there is an improvement.

Everyone else is being too kind / optimistic. We all know what blue smoke from a VR6 means. Start putting pennies away for an engine rebuild. Sorry chap.

In the meantime, try a thicker oil as suggested, like 10W/50 or 10W/60. Both available on Opie Oils.

Kev may be right, but I'd still check a few other things first.

PCV valve's tend to be a problem point, make sure that's working properly. Do you have access to a compression tester? I'm surprised no one has mentioned piston rings. I'd be checking those first, then keeping an eye on the oil level over 500/1000/2000 miles to see how much is actually being burnt off.

Not sure if an 'Italian tune-up' wouldn't make a worn guide or ring worse tbh. Worth checking oil grade though..... and like anything to do with a Corrado, it's always a good idea to start putting away the pennies for later! :lol:

Piston rings / ovalised bores is implied in "Engine rebuild" ;)

When mine started smoking, 10W/50 reduced the consumption / smoke, but only a rebuild solved it completely.

Made feck all difference for me. I found that my engine was much quieter after an oil change, especially to 10w50 but only for a short amount of time, before it started to sound more and more clattery each day and I also noticed that the oil started to smell strongly like fuel a month or so after the oil change making me think the rings / bores were shot and fuel / oil were mixing. It was also guzzling oil regardless of what grade I put into it.

There are 7 basic reasons, that I can think of, that can cause any normally aspirated engine to show signs of oil burning.

Valve stem seals worn. They also become hardened with age which can stop them becoming effective, even on low mileage engines!

Valve guides worn.

Piston rings worn.

Ovalised/worn cylinder bores.

PCV system not functioning correctly.

Head gasket partial or total failure.

Using oil way outside of the correct engine viscosity range.

Each of these causes can be diagnosed pretty easily. So it's a simple process of elimination.

As far as engine oil is concerned, you should be using the correct viscosity for the engine. Using slighty thicker oil will/may mask the problem, but it is not a permanent remedy.

Routine maintainance is the key for engine longevity, but at the end of the day, all engines will wear with age and mileage. So it's a case of managing the situation and deciding when the right time is for a rebuild or replacement engine.

Edited by DriverVR6

Cool cheers guys il keep an eye on things and try a few simple things first.like I say I've only been aware of it happening twice so hopefully all is good.worst comes to worst I've got some cracking engine guys to hand

Cool cheers guys il keep an eye on things and try a few simple things first.like I say I've only been aware of it happening twice so hopefully all is good.worst comes to worst I've got some cracking engine guys to hand

Hi Stu, just wondered what the resolution to your problem was in the end as I've got the same issue with mine currently. Cheers.

When they start to drink oil it's the beginning of the end. Mine was getting through a litre a fortnight by the time I stopped driving it :lol:

Stone