TomBarker1991

Tom's 90' Rado

Nice to see progress :). Regards to the engine - no, it never had a rebuild. The bottom end is from an old Audi 80 2.0 16V (6A) (used to be a show car). I would say it was rather maintained and the car had 90k miles. The head though was the original 1.8 16V KR one that was with this corrado.

Ah great stuff mate I was only able to go off what it was sold to me as so that's good to know! :)

Edited by TomBarker1991

Now I finally have a little of time off work I have made a start on stripping down the 20VT for a rebuild and a few upgrades, internals wise I don't think I will change much for the time being but had been toying with the idea of going for a BBT K300.

But for now I will be putting all new gaskets and seals in and giving it a scrub down and get a few bits polished up and painted, sorting a FMIC set up and replacing all the old hosing for new silicone counterparts.

15447668869_91c7ec0065_z.jpg

15634313415_756e791b2b_z.jpg

15013568554_0b8bc11f5e_z.jpg

15631651291_0a8291192c_z.jpg

Great work there. Just a suggestion, whilst the engine is out change the cam chain tensioner seal and rear coolant flange. I had to change those in my Audi (bex engine) and they were pretty awkward!

Edited by fla

Yeah I had planned on changing every seal in it as I'm guessing a majority of them are still the originals and it looks like it has sprung an oil leak somewhere in its life

Another day of the corrado and the engine has had all its ancillaries stripped off ready for polishing and painting, for now I will be sticking with the standard K03 setup until next winter when it will be coming out again but the engine will still be having a good once over.

I have a full new gasket set on order as well as a full set of black silicone hosing for it, I do plan on ditching the standard oil cooler set up in favour of an external one mounted somewhere in front of the rad/intercooler whenever I get those sourced, as well as opting to fit an oil catch can.

Planning on sticking to a black and polished theme for the engine itself with a polished inlet manifold and crackle black rocker cover, I know it has been done before but love the way it looks. In pursuit of a clean and simple bay I will be going for an ally top fill radiator to get rid of the header tank its a wrist exercising up between sourcing one or having one made up all depends on what I can get hold of at work.

Also made a start on one of the more daunting tasks for me which is the wiring looms I have got the headlight loom separated and the KR loom cut ready to start splicing the 20VT loom in.

Anyway here is a few pictures of the engine ready to go for a degreases and small rebuild, it seems at some point it has sprung an oil leak from somewhere above the oil cooler...

15045034823_495bef793f_z.jpg

15479551590_a42ccc3723_z.jpg

15665947072_534cf2254e_z.jpg

Over the net couple of months I need to start looking at sourcing a set of wheels and getting it all prepped for paint but the main aim is to have the 20VT built back up in and running by christmas...

Finally got some more time off work to do a few more bits on the corrado, stripped the head off the engine to start rubbing down ready to fit new gaskets all in all its pretty clean on the inside so need for any major work so just going to be new gaskets clean up, paint and back together with new gaskets.

15129920353_c57a160fec_z.jpg

15751104792_faa7ec36fa_z.jpg

Also find the set of wheels I was looking for, seen a few polo's running the 15x7 versions but they were just too small for the corrado so managed to find a set of 16x8J Pontiac's with adapters fairly local. They are going to take some work to get on but hoping its all going to be worth it don't think I have seen another set on a corrado..

15122790153_9d85a2c97b_z.jpg

The reason it's in black and white is that they are currently neon pink which isn't going to be staying for long haha

Had to do some work on the daily today replacing the fan belt and tensioner as she was squealing like a pig & getting some more prep done for it's trip to R-tech!

But when I got that done I made a start on smoothing the bay first things first was to chop out the scuttle tray as I will be relocating the ECU and a few other bits behind the dash as well as fitting a shiny upper strut brace, sorry the picture is naff I ended up grinding in the dark by the end!

15572505229_2bc63c9de0_z.jpg

Payday and more time off means a little more progress, picked up my pontiacs yesterday which will be going to be acid dipped this week to remove the horrendous neon pink paint job and come back in a Kia gun metal grey.

But whilst I have them I decided be rude not to give them a test fit to try and gauge how much work they will need to get sitting right, hoping no real arch work other than rolling and just a little stretch with a 185 or 195/45/16 on the 8J should get me somewhere near then a couple degrees of camber..

15192573154_bc39467b73_z.jpg

15627648180_ca13e99c5c_z.jpg

I have also been in contact with concept-wheels.be with regards to getting some new adapters made up

Also making progress with smoothing the bay out, tidied up and flatted off the cuts where I removed the scuttle tray and made a start removing the sealant where the ECU and wiper motor used to live ready for weld and paint

15192553934_7122dba831_z.jpg

15814041562_9e6bb0421b_z.jpg

Still plenty more hours to go but still aiming for having the engine in and firing by christmas so when my next set off parcels arrive the engine should be all set with new gaskets and shallow sump.

Awesome GTI came through with a small delivery today to start building the engine back up and getting it up to scratch, started with ordering a shallow sump after cracking one on my MK4 decided this was the only way to go as well as going for a 911 oil filler to replaced the horrible standard one.

15797793396_44ecff3e75_z.jpg

15821455815_2a5a825e56_z.jpg

Another day and another delivery courtesy of Jabba sport with a full set of Elring gaskets and head bolts. As far as spending go's this is pretty much it until I get some more cash back in as I still have a weekend away to pay for and a day at R-tech for the daily to have a stage 1 map and some software removed. But here is a quick picture of what postman had for me...

15655645938_5c929c7de8.jpg

15843178825_6fb1da5ca4.jpg

More bodywork updates & things are starting to move on, removing the unwanted brackets and grinding back to bear metal and so far in the bay things are looking ok.

But on the rear arch did leave me with a little bit of a surprise in the form of some filler and rust

15843749736_9f0edef22e.jpg

But a bit more grinding back and poking with a screwdriver the worst of it was all off and cleaned out

15682141950_9fdb1a8635.jpg

Im not too worried about how the arches are looking at the minute as there is going to be a lot of pulling going off to try and get my wheels to sit properly which will hopefully being started over the next few days.

Also progressing with smoothing the bay today in between fitting new discs on my daily, got the unwanted brackets removed bar the battery holder and got the spot welds flatted off. Also managed to give the bulkhead a bit of a wipe down and flat off the odd bit of surface rust.

Its all very rough at the minute but starting to get there slowly.

15869556255_2786b97b9c.jpg

15683800657_2d6dffb1fc.jpg

15867557761_7c8cd19d10.jpg

Got a parcel today and couldn't help but give it a quick test fit and picture...

15869538465_24623c4d09_z.jpg

Nice work, I like a nice simply smoothed bay

Im not looking for OTT smooth want to keep the original lines but all unnecessary brackets and holes will be gone hopefully get the remaining sealant off tomorrow

Spot on, thats almost what I did except I left the sealer on

Ill be taking the sealant off re-weld the turrets grind them back them literally just plate up unneeded holes prime and paint

Up early again this morning down at the workshop for 8 freezing my a**e off to try and get a full day on the bay before I lost the light.

Main aim for to day was to get as much of the sealant off as I could and start to flat back some of the rougher areas where I have chopped old brackets out as well as removing the battery tray... it went mostly to plan only went through in one spot removing the battery tray and managed to not light the back of the dash up with the burning gear

Few more standard update pictures, tomorrow I will be treating myself so a bag of wire wheels to help get the rest off as there is only so much I can scrape off by hand before Ill go insane :blink:

15877201405_2a3082eb0e_z.jpg

tomorrow Ill hopefully be getting my wheels back after being acid dipped to remove the neon pink that bad been caked on them and getting a bit more done on the bay, but If I can get some new work lights sorted I might treat myself to a late night session sizing up the arches for pulling and getting it sitting wide

Another solid run at the corrado armed with a few wire wheels on the advice of Shammy from UK-MKIV's to start tidying up the bay a bit more and get the bare metal protected with a quick coat of spray & it looks a million times better already..

15859609476_f3b3c55b90_z.jpg

15884791702_8a29ea5b84_z.jpg

Another update is that the wheels are back from being acid dipped and thankfully not damage at all to them so when I get a couple of tyres sorted to run a test fit ill then get them painted up to prevent any damage to them whilst constantly testing tyres

15698053210_8afa97a95f_z.jpg

Past few days been trying to decide on how get the pontiacs to sit right so did some reading about pulling the arches out on a corrado and decided to get the arch roller and hot air gun out and with a load of help with my mate Dan who has been guiding me through the build so far we managed get an extra 2-3" on the rear arches which means the wheels should sit flush with no camber and minimal stretch

15263085004_30d0f7114d_z.jpg

15698110250_1b9f596e6e_z.jpg

Managed to get a few more hours in on the corrado over the past few days in between a couple of call outs at work & got up to see a mate who hooked me up with a couple of test tyres so I could get a gauge for what size I will beed to run and decided to start on a 195/45 which should ride well and give me just enough stretch to get the fitment somewhere near and although the coilover needs to settle a bit more with some weight back on I really couldn't be happier with how its sitting for now using to really poor adapters and the front still on stands..

15274543373_fac5cf189e_z.jpg

15274549223_8d84e9fe21_z.jpg

Before I start to weld up the bulkhead thought it best to remove the dash and all others bits of insulation as best as possible to prevent anything igniting, also have plans to do a double din unit conversion on the dash so with it out I can measure up what needs to be done, after getting the dash out all seemed pretty much as new no nasty surprises

15914855035_af1f24c7d8_z.jpg

Whilst I was at decided to strip down the door cards and absolutely horrendous head liner to start getting stuff ready for re-trimming seemed like someone has had them off previously and slung a load of tape back on the insides which will be getting replaced with some decent sound proof matting come next pay day, still unsure on what to do interior wise which is bugging me a bit.. I missed out on a set of smoothed up audi TT baseball stitched seats so any other inspiration would be much appreciated!

15728849009_59e27d25a5_z.jpg

15889403136_c8d524fd11_z.jpg

Things have been a bit stop start with the car over the past few weeks, mainly welding up the bay and starting to strip stuff back ready for sand blasting and paint..

But however I did managed to pick up a full set of fully manual grey leather Recaro seats with the larger side bolsters and manual knee support from the classifieds. Thanks to dickie on here who is awesome to deal with if anyone wants parts from him!

It should hopefully set off the interior once I get the roof liner and carpets re-done not 100% on whether I will use the rear bench or leave it out for later plans, but here is a quick pic..

Stil be a bit of time before they get dropped in as I need to Dynamat the inside of the car first off..

15461554563_961d89de9c_z.jpg

Gave myself a bit of break from doing the bay before I go insane and decided to tackle a bit of engine work and some painting. Got my subframe, wishbones, ARB and front brackets back from sandblasting gave them a quick rub down and got them hung up for paint and for 24 years old was pleasantly surprised how well they came up have gone light with the paint in places so I will give them another coat before they go on but still pleased with them..

15901028868_077787e9f8_z.jpg

Started to get the engine & MK3 TDI gearbox cleaned up for paint and a rebuild, at some point in its life it had sprung an oil leak somewhere and caked the front of the block which took some shifting but degreaser, cloths emery cloth and a compressed air line to blow it off has brought it up pretty well so got on with masking it up for spraying the black up

15902712757_b055ed44b0_z.jpg

gearbox still needs a fair bit more cleaning before its near ready!

15468791053_33a99afbe0_z.jpg

16088467685_1b55d536a3_z.jpg

15466147234_57ddbcb2e2_z.jpg

16088472735_b5c6ef5a48_z.jpg

Still a long way to go but things are starting to head back towards the right direction by building stuff back up TDI box will get getting a G60 flywheel and VR6 clutch by the new year hopefully as well as a coat of paint!

Late christmas present turned up today, didn't want to go down the G60 route so when these came up I couldn't say no!

Pair of HI-Spec Motorsport twin pot calipers

Ill have to give them a test fit with my wheels on to check clearance but they should be fine. I'll be running them with either 256mm or 280mm discs once I get the right adapters, They will be getting a rebuild and repaint to match the wheel and bay colour at some point.

15535321473_25c918b585_z.jpg

15535371423_347a0d768e_z.jpg

Ahh it was you that got them, off Instagram? Was 10 minutes late for them, gutted! If they don't fit your wheels give me a shout ;-)