Roger Chatfield

Sky or Virgin

Evening chums...

Bit of a dilemma for you, currently we get our telly and interweb via Mr Bransons love child 'Virgin Media', we have 20 meg broadband and a XL TV package and landline, costs nearly 90 quid a month.

Anyway, we have been with Virgin for year and have to this point been very happy with it, however since we have had the new wifi hub we are not happy, the Internet randomaly drops off and the wifi signal is dire, the signal from our neighbours sky box is far stronger, Virgin have assumed us there is nothing wrong with our box...

So, thinking of changing to Sky... Opinions please..

Oh, we have blueyonder email addresses, will this be a problem if we move?

Rog.

Not sure on email, but I switched from Virgin to Sky about 6 months ago Rog. Some great deals with sky at the moment, and I now have every conceivable channel for £71, compared to £90 + with virgin, and I didn't have movies, and only had sky sports 1+2. Zero noticeable difference in broadband speed, although tbf, I don't really download much/anything. I hated virgin customer service too. It's similar with sky at the weekend, as you're directed to India like with virgin. But weekdays it's a call centre in Scotland. SLIGHTLY easier to understand and more helpful. :lol: Things do actually get done though, as opposed to empty assurances that they will do this or that but it'll take 3-5 days to take affect, which happens every time from the Indian call centre. :rolleyes:

Edited by seanl82

I have virgin everything , with the top wifi speed and 4 boxes in the house , wouldn't change as I'm happy to pay 78 quid for that lot , I don't have the film channels though , but just stream to my tv from my home pc , I get massive discount as been with them ages , I will say though that my super hub thing did cause me problems for a while when first put in , I then got around this by putting in another one , well the engineer did

Yep I'm with Virgin too and have been for years going back to the days of Diamond Cable. I have XL TV (no movie channels), Phone, 50mb Broadband and pay considerably less than £90 but that's down to loyalty discounts. Yep I'm reasonably happy with the service but agreed the phone support needs work.

I have Virgin Broadband (but no TV or any of that guff) and the broadband is consistently fast and reliable and the router is excellent. Either you got duff or there are so many routers in your area competing for the same channel that it's making your wifi signal unreliable?

Well, I currently have 100mb Fibre Broadband, phone and XL TV package from Virgin and pay about £45. I am thinking of leaving them for Sky when the contract is up due to connection issues, Virgin seems to drop quite often for me so playing Xbox online gets quite annoying when you lose connection... I will miss the free BTsport 1 and 2 and ESPN HD channels you get FREE with Virgin though..

But then looking at what you guys have said you pay, I am thinking of maybes staying with Virgin...

We've get the same issues with service dropping randomly with virgin. Seems to time it with when you're filling in a form or other online details :x

Rog

cable internet will ALWAYS be superior to ASDL due to the fact that with cable the fibre optic cable is to the front of your property & then copper coax cable into the house.

the issue with ADSL is that is has to run via the copper coax all the way from your local street cabinet - this is what causes the variation in speeds people receive.

Are you on virgins cable internet service or their ADSL?

i have the big kahuna bundle with virgin (cable service) which i believe is XL TV with lots of HD channels, tivo box, weekend landline calls & my

internet speed is stable at around 165 mbps. IIRC that costs around £60 per month.

i did a speed test from the upstairs back bedroom on my iphone4S last night & the virgin super hub gave me 43mbps

The issue you are experiencing is likely to not be the line itself, irrespective of if cable or ADSL service, & is probably down to the router. I had hear that when they first introduced their super hub there were many reported problems with its performance.

when virgin tech assured you its not the router did they do any testing of the router or line to confirm such?

i would say really you have 2 choices, those being:

call tech support & ask them to carry out performance tests on the router & the line itself, insist that something is wrong & say that if they can not resolve then you are going to cancel your service.

i would hope that they send you a new router as a test, or insist they do so, & if necessary tell them you want an engineer to visit your home to test the line itself.

I would also say it would be worth you speaking to their cancellation team anyway & say your unhappy with the service, due to the issues you are experiencing, & say if they dont offer you a better & cheaper deal then you will leave & go to sky. they normally dont like this & will sort you out

Oh & i should mention that ive had my virgin service since beginning of december last year & though i have had to power cycle the router itself several times, due to the wifi suddenly dropping out, i have had no issues with the line itself

Is that the Superhub 2 Rog, have you tried a different channel on it or the 5MHz frequency?

Ian.

U guys pay £90 a month????

Wow

Wow

I can only afford £20/ month for broadband/phone (EE) :(

Free Sky channels

Freeview

Wow

Wow

Free Sky channels

Freeview

I only stay with Virgin due to the internet being so good so have TV off them at the same time - bit of a con really having to pay for a phone line at £15 pm (Controlled cartel) when they use the same cable as the TV comes in on and I don't even want a landline! Just waiting to see how good 4G is in my area and may then just get a mobile wifi router on 4G then dump the TV channels and do same as you just freeview - crap all on TV anyway!

I only stay with Virgin due to the internet being so good so have TV off them at the same time - bit of a con really having to pay for a phone line at £15 pm (Controlled cartel) when they use the same cable as the TV comes in on and I don't even want a landline! Just waiting to see how good 4G is in my area and may then just get a mobile wifi router on 4G then dump the TV channels and do same as you just freeview - crap all on TV anyway!

I used to love Virgin

I paid £17/month and that included free cable channels, phone and unlimited broadband.

But now live in an area without virgin.

Seeing recent prices for Virgin - what justified these massive hikes?

Its like a packet of crisp I used to pay 5p a packet.

Even with inflation and increased living costs - how do they justify 60p+ a packet and for ever shrinking weight as well????

Lol

Wow

Wow

Free Sky channels

Freeview

no, about £60 but then it does give me 160mbps download lol

but the TV is still awful - just goes to show how much the 'jeremy kyle' syndrome has reduced everything to the lowest common denominator :(

fecking americanisation!!

no, about £60 but then it does give me 160mbps download lol

but the TV is still awful - just goes to show how much the 'jeremy kyle' syndrome has reduced everything to the lowest common denominator :(

fecking americanisation!!

Bring back Morecambe n wise

And the Only fools n horses anyday?!

Lol Wayne was talking about that with a few mates on a Scooby site at the weekend with his paper bag trick . Pmsl only fools and horses , steptoe and son . What do we have now , celebrity dancing on ice . With some bloke who once starred in a toilet roll advert , tv is pure bollox now . I do watch the history channels and nature channels a fair bit !!

Lol Wayne was talking about that with a few mates on a Scooby site at the weekend with his paper bag trick . Pmsl only fools and horses , steptoe and son . What do we have now , celebrity dancing on ice . With some bloke who once starred in a toilet roll advert , tv is pure bollox now . I do watch the history channels and nature channels a fair bit !!

I remember there was only BBC1, BBC2 and ITV

And then there was too many good programmes to watch.

Now we have loads on free channels and 100s more on paid channel and I have RSI on my thumb due to using too much NEXT CHANNEL button - lol :)

Sorry Rog!

Back on topic!

My experience is wait for special offers

Like the time I got SKY free for 12months (combination of cash back websites, Sky cash back and sky 1/2 price offers etc)

Or u can tell Virgin u leaving and thy will give u instant 6months 1/2 price!

Ref broadband - u just have to hound them until thy give u a newer router and send an engineer to do tests...

Update, I phoned VM to ask to be disconnected and they (surprise surprise) have offered me a new super hub 2 and lowered my rental to £66 (from £78), new hub arrives tomorrow, I've got 14 days then either go on a new 12 mth contract or cancel and go to sky.

Rog.

Update, I phoned VM to ask to be disconnected and they (surprise surprise) have offered me a new super hub 2 and lowered my rental to £66 (from £78), new hub arrives tomorrow, I've got 14 days then either go on a new 12 mth contract or cancel and go to sky.

Rog.

Congrats, Rog :)

Rog.

result Rog!

fingers crossed all will be well :)

So I've had the new hub a few days now and I must admit I'm really pleased.

New hub is working a treat, good coverage throughout the house and no drop outs.

Even the kids are happy....lol

Rog.

So I've had the new hub a few days now and I must admit I'm really pleased.

New hub is working a treat, good coverage throughout the house and no drop outs.

Even the kids are happy....lol

Rog.

ive said it before & i will say it again..... winner winner chicken dinner :D

pleased you got the result you wanted Rog & a discount to boot!