Jim

Who's your insurer?

I've spent quite a few days ringing around various insurers with increasing despair, trying to get a reasonable price for on my VR. It's no longer my daily car, lives in pretty secure lock-up, and will only end up doing 3,000 miles a year at most. However despite that, despite a handful of very basic (and typical for a Corrado) modifications, and despite me being in my mid 30's with no endorsements or similar the prices I'm getting don't seem particularly awesome.

The best I've had so far is £250 with Peter James insurance which I guess isn't too bad but they misheard what I said on the phone and seem to have just made up some of the modifications which means I'm going to have to re-discuss them, get them to requote, etc..

I just wanted a quick straw poll to see who you're all insuring with these days, especially those who aren't using the Corrado as a daily so have it insured on a limited mileage policy.. because honestly ringing around and going through all your personal details, explaining the location of the garage which doesn't have it's own postcode ("Oooh.. not sure we're going to be able to insure you!") and detailing the modifications is getting extremely tedious.

The most baffling thing is, when I was running my old mans Daimler V8 earlier this year I got the most ridiculous quotes I'd ever heard for that. Bearing in mind the same driver, and the same storage location but a car with virtually no safety features, and worth about 6x as much as my Corrado, I landed quotes of £95. Yeah.. £95. Why is it so much more to insure a Corrado worth a fraction of the price, which is far harder to steal, for which parts will cost a load less?!

Insurers tried to far have been Classic Line (£272), Chris Knott (wouldn't insure me.. wtf), and Peter James (£254).

Your insurer and premium would be useful to get an idea of who's worth ringing. Cheers.

I used to be with Peter James and paid around £195 on a classic policy inc legal expenses and full UK/European Breakdown Cover. I had a ring around last year and (think) I changed to Adrain Flux as they were about £30 per year cheaper for the same cover.

Ian.

I go with HIC, MartinB on here works there as some kind of manager i think. I also ring up and seem to get through to the same lady each year and then she pops off to see Martin who knocks a bit off.

Can't remember what i'm paying though, maybe about £300-400, although now i've have a 2nd car i will be in a similar position as you. So corrado won't be a daily.

HIC as well here. Always make sure I PM Martin who gets the call centre guys to ring me directly. I'm paying about £370 on a 5000 mile policy, all mods declared and on the road storage. Plus I had a motorcycle accident a few years ago which (although I think it shouldn't) is hiking my premium up.

Will be renewing mine shortly as well, but this time it'll be garaged and out in the sticks.

I just don't get the inconsistencies. Insurance in this country drives me up the goddamn wall.

I just don't get the inconsistencies. Insurance in this country drives me up the goddamn wall.

It also depends which staff u get on the other end (even in same insurer!)

Good mood staff

Bad mood staff

Dont care staff

Inteprets however they like staff ...

HIC, 6000 miles, quiet postcode, driveway, no claims, 8 Yrs NCB, 24v conversion, brakes, suspension, wheels, legal cover, courtesy car and commuting for £335.

nor me Jim

when i moved house last year the new postcode area had traditionally always been regarded as 'less risk' then the previous

when i called flux & then HIC to change my details for each rado one place said there would be a slight discount due to the new postcode & the other a slight increase as it was a higher risk

WTF!!

plus - they, the insurer, will ALWAYS do whatever they can to not pay out

a crazy example of such, & has to be one of the most insanely stupid i have ever read......is a woman was hit head on by a car in which the driver had fallen asleep. it totalled her car, obviously, & injured her. IIRC the co-op insurer was trying to play the ultimate T's & C's horsehit such that he were refusing to pay out because the 'driver can not be held responsible for their actions as they were asleep at the time'

forgive me but surely that is driving without due course & attention & the person should be prosecuted - quite how the insurer could say that i have no idea. it is wrong morally & ethically

plus years ago peoples insurance premiums would normally decrease year on year due to the accumulated NCB - however all i ever hear now when it is renewal time is that premiums have gone up yet again for one bull**** reason or other excuse

sorry for the rant

I am with Performance Direct, limited mileage up to 3k a year, declared mods, garaged with agreed

5k value, no endorsements and no recent accidents, £185 a year.

Hi Jim , I'm with Performance Direct and pay around £280.00 . I can never beat it , but will be trying harder this year . I can't understand it either , I have a good post code , no convictions , nothing . Yet when this question pops up I see chaps , younger than me with more mods and cheaper ins ! . Mine is a classic policy , 2k miles a year . I went to insure the T4 last year same company as a mate , we have the same van , postcode and age , the only difference ? He has 6 points , yep you guessed it , his ins was cheaper ! . Made up as they go along I'm sure of it .

I'm with HIC - 42yo, 10+ years NCB, 3k limited mileage, garaged, all mods declared, no idea about my postcode being good or bad and mine was £173. I did add full European breakdown cover last year for going to Austria, which if I remember was an extra £30. The AA wanted £160 on top of my annual cover for the week!

The previous year I insured with Lancaster and outlined to them the mods I was planning on over the winter "That's no problem Sir, just let is know when you have done them and we'll add them to your policy"

"No we can't cover uprated brakes, no we can't cover changed seats, no we can't cover modified exhausts, no we can't cover two-piece alloy wheels, no we can't cover non factory screen wash..."

Went through hell trying to cancel the policy and trying to get my money back with them going back and listening to the original phone call etc. Eventually they agreed to refund me as the policy was mis sold, then tried to charge me £50 admin fee for cancelling! :lol:

I will give HIC a call towards the end of April I think . I'm 45 years old . Mine has always been on a classic policy , so the only no claims I have are on the T4 ins .

No claims is a real bane here too as of course having a daily, the no claims are allocated to that.

Pleased to say I just got the VR reinsured at a great price finally. Lynbrook Insurance who I've used in recent years, and who a good friend of mine insurers a Scirocco with just came back with a price of £173. Needless to say I could barely get my card details out fast enough.

That's a real result. Thanks Lynbrook :)

I'm with marker study through Adrian Flux.

I'm 32, 3 points, no fault accident in 2012, average postcode I think, 4k limited, all mods declared, all extras except key and breakdown, and paid £198 although it's it expires end of next month. When I called I was originally quoted around £225. I told them thanks and I was just going to phone a couple more companies (although I'd already called most and be best I had before that was £275), but the guy said what can we do to get you to commit now? I said if you get below £200 I would. I thought I was pushing my luck tbh, but he went away, came back a few minutes later and did it for £198. I was pretty chuffed with that so accepted.

I'm with marker study through Adrian Flux.

I'm 32, 3 points, no fault accident in 2012, average postcode I think, 4k limited, all mods declared, all extras except key and breakdown, and paid £198 although it's it expires end of next month. When I called I was originally quoted around £225. I told them thanks and I was just going to phone a couple more companies (although I'd already called most and be best I had before that was £275), but the guy said what can we do to get you to commit now? I said if you get below £200 I would. I thought I was pushing my luck tbh, but he went away, came back a few minutes later and did it for £198. I was pretty chuffed with that so accepted.

now im questioning my renewal with flux a couple of weeks ago

38, 12 yrs NCB, no claims, no points, all mods declared £385

which now comparing to other on this thread seem way too high

Bear in mind mine is a dedicated second car policy - need to have a primary / daily driver, and only 3,000 miles per annum, and garaged at all times when not 'away from home' (i.e. at car shows, etc).

I'm with adrian flux, well for this year anyway. Will be looking further a field next year. can't remember the exact price classic policy, breakdown cover etc i think it's around £230.

Bear in mind mine is a dedicated second car policy - need to have a primary / daily driver, and only 3,000 miles per annum, and garaged at all times when not 'away from home' (i.e. at car shows, etc).

yeah i suppose, good point jim.

my valver is on a 3k classic policy but with zero NCB, as that is used on the VR, & it was only about £180 ish

it just sounded odd that someone much younger than me, with less NCB would pay so much less on the VR

hey ho its done for another year now so not to worry

this is also due for renewal very soon so lets see how much my 1 yr NCB helps