MDMTechnik

VR6 Storm full restoration

Got all nuts, bolts, catches etc zinc plated!! Can't believe how well it's come out. 56aa2807292ba5654b1058fa007b7fad.jpg96f2cd9eae3cc5feaec167178b8b3e7c.jpgcbaf9d9329ba6ff942307f5b694312cf.jpg00d3a7e9b1b7fb23ce9028bf67bfafdb.jpg

This is awesome where did you get it done and the cost etc nice build by the way

Looks amazing! The updates are always top notch!

If you want that OE look for the chassis parts I would recommend the 'e' coating route rather then powder coating. You can get it done at a place in Wales and it is cheaper then powder coat.

Love this thing! Fantastic work! Best part is the attention to detail and the second best part is that it might have otherwise been a scrapped car.

I can only hope to come close to this level of detail.

Anything special being done to the gearbox? If it's off getting a rebuild would you consider an LSD to make the driving experience a tiny bit more special?

Thanks for the support everyone. Keeps me going when I've got so much else on and have no time to get on the Corrado.

Got my S8 back from Audi after being away for another 2 months. Paint is still shockingly bad, more trims damaged, more overspray and more things not working. Also being lied to by both the body shop and Audi now. So ****ed off with the whole situation so I thought I would build my gearbox to cheer me up.

Sat looking at the gearbox casings and gears and just thought about smashing them around the head of the twats at Audi and the body shop.

Decided to put a Wavetrac diff in along with the 3.6 final drive. Just chucked gearbox together so I can transport it back to work and start replacing bearing, syncros and seals.

9ffe26f40cd5ceb8b5aba801ae410a11.jpg

88671e730deafdfaea9802c60531740c.jpg

25164f2d54674a9631ce59f57229e651.jpg

cd95377c9f0fc79a978e058c0abea1e2.jpg

47b73a4756ea4ff3a12efd0e3db45778.jpg

Looks amazing! The updates are always top notch!

If you want that OE look for the chassis parts I would recommend the 'e' coating route rather then powder coating. You can get it done at a place in Wales and it is cheaper then powder coat.

Cheers Chris. I have thought about E coating but thought it was crazy money. Do you know the name of the company in Wales?

I think it was a company called Euro Quality Coatings in Cardiff, I think it was £80+VAT for the rear beam, brake backplates, mounting brackets and tank straps.

I think it was a company called Euro Quality Coatings in Cardiff, I think it was £80+VAT for the rear beam, brake backplates, mounting brackets and tank straps.

Cheers Chris . I will give them a bell.

Finally managed to get everything stripped down. Decided on getting everything shot blasted and then powder coated as ecoating is just a transportation primer. Items have turned out really well considering the state they were in before. Forgot the bloody fuel tank straps and a few other little bits though so they have now been sent off.

Would anyone be interested in 70litre fuel tank straps if I went and spoke to a company to make a batch?

f9af10572b1aa15428342c2b335b503f.jpg

ee21779ce4750979e3d122ad359deb21.jpg

fe8ceb6288205f48927f103553f86554.jpg

13fd569b379933c5090fbfd2bbe0ee19.jpg

307a99a837715f3a2733d74cb6f6fd2a.jpg

12c394ce57703da4d831eec1a45da787.jpg

78caa110acc86e89fbdc4241e038d00e.jpg

e63edec4f3fa054f55a8e198532e4a92.jpg

f2d8091bb66b0eac3e7c0e60eeee39e5.jpg

There are a few that do stainless tank straps and they're quite well priced if thats the kind of thing you want (A little bling for me tbh). Unless the ones you can get look identical to the originals, I doubt there would be much interest to be honest mate.

There are a few that do stainless tank straps and they're quite well priced if thats the kind of thing you want (A little bling for me tbh). Unless the ones you can get look identical to the originals, I doubt there would be much interest to be honest mate.

Isn't it possible to get stainless steel powdercoated keeps the straps looking stock then

Edited by Jon_vr6

You calling my car bling Sean ? Lol . Those refreshed parts look lovely. The only problem I had with the rear beam , was a little to much powder coating . When it came to fitting parts , things got a little tight .

Jon, yeah you can powdercoat them, but they're just plain metal straps without the curvature in the middle of the stock ones. If you go down this route it just seems a little pointless by not getting your original ones done unless they are too far gone.

Rob, sorry mate, no I'm not honestly! I did think about getting some myself, but they're quite visible and obvious when approaching from the rear, so I personally wanted it to remain a little more stock looking. :thumbleft:

Last time I looked , you were about the same height as me Sean , how can you see them approaching the car ? Lol , (said in jest) . I don't usually go for anything too shiny, engine bay etc ,but I like the steel against the black tank .

I did look at the bling tank straps as I thought it was my only option but after I took my ones off and knocked all the surface rust off, they weren't actually too bad.

I think the curvature in the middle is the cause of all the corrosion issues as water, mud and general crap can sit there. My ones are certainly more corroded on the inside of the strap.

I will post some picture when I pick them up later today.

I recommend turps and a toothbrush for areas with paint on and thinners and a toothbrush for areas that don't.

Have fun!

Going to use hot air gun to warm up wax so I can wipe off easier, red scotch it and spirit wipe the whole lot. Then get it painted and re wax. The underseal and floor pan is perfect so no need to fully strip back and no repairs to carry out.