dr_mat

Arrgh trim problems..

Hi guys, a few annoying little issues coming up on the VR6 now, wonder if anyone can provide any pointers.

The Corrado sits on the drive, a lot, and there's been a number of extreme rain showers of late. So, it's once again wound up with a soaking wet passenger footwell and I can't work out where it's coming from. The usual drains have proven to be clear, ish, and it's definitely rainwater not engine coolant so...

Anyone else had this? I have been wondering if it's just the level of rainfall overwhelming the sunroof drains, added to the fact that the car has to sit facing up the hill I think this impairs the ability of these drains to work properly.

I'm also just considering getting a car cover ..

Secondly, the bloody interior fan just decided to stop working yesterday. It stopped working, then I drove along for a bit and it started working again (on all four speeds), and now it doesn't work at all again. Never done this before.. ! Bloody car. :)

I should have gone and bought the Wheeler Dealers car.. :)

Hi guys, a few annoying little issues coming up on the VR6 now, wonder if anyone can provide any pointers.

The Corrado sits on the drive, a lot, and there's been a number of extreme rain showers of late. So, it's once again wound up with a soaking wet passenger footwell and I can't work out where it's coming from. The usual drains have proven to be clear, ish, and it's definitely rainwater not engine coolant so...

Anyone else had this? I have been wondering if it's just the level of rainfall overwhelming the sunroof drains, added to the fact that the car has to sit facing up the hill I think this impairs the ability of these drains to work properly.

I'm also just considering getting a car cover ..

Secondly, the bloody interior fan just decided to stop working yesterday. It stopped working, then I drove along for a bit and it started working again (on all four speeds), and now it doesn't work at all again. Never done this before.. ! Bloody car. :)

I should have gone and bought the Wheeler Dealers car.. :)

hi Dr

copy of one of my posts from last week on the same subject....

also - again from experience - check the thin plastic square ish shaped housing that covers your foliage cover

its is on the passenger side just below the wind screen

I had an issue where water was getting into the passenger footwell due to the above housing cover not being refitted correctly & was basically allowing the water to run straight into the open mesh of the foliage cover

I would also recommend lifting the passenger carpet up & removing the hard backed liner underneath it. the liner has a cushioning material on it which acts like a sponge.

I didn't realise quite how much water it held until I removed it & started to dry it off

from...http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?92848-Wet-passenger-footwell/page3

hope that helps

& a copy of the OP's reply to my post....

Well, had a good look this morning around the scuttle area. The cover that goes over the blower box wasn't fitted under the seal on the ridge bit at all! After a bit of tricky working I got things back as they should and I'm guessing water must have been running straight into that blower box? I may have cracked a bit of the cover trying to get the rusted clips off, so might need to replace later. The crack is on the left hand side and should be ok till I get another one sourced. So, with all that said and done, the fact that it's not coolant been coming into the cockpit and that my hot air isn't working, does that imply that someone has previously bypassed the matrix or may there be another reason why I have no hot air?

Thanks and hope all that made sense! Oh and as far as the sunroof working goes - I haven't tried it yet. Will wait a bit just in case something is amiss. Don't fancy the winter here and having to fuss with that!

It's worth checking that the drain holes at either end of the scuttle are not blocked as you will get a build up of water in the scuttle if they are. It's also worth relacing the seal under the foliage filter or even just running a bead of silicone around the base of the filter to keep the water out

Edited by leon263

Good suggestions, will take a look at those thanks. I did look at the plastic cover on the foliage filter and I don't think that's out of place on my car, but I'll take a closer look later. The drains from that area are certainly running pretty freely.

I see a mention of drains to the rear of the sunroof?

If you have not changed the foam seal on the bottom of the foliage grill it will go brittle with age and then leak when it rains hard as that area fills with water depending on angle of parking etc.

Good suggestions, will take a look at those thanks. I did look at the plastic cover on the foliage filter and I don't think that's out of place on my car, but I'll take a closer look later. The drains from that area are certainly running pretty freely.

I see a mention of drains to the rear of the sunroof?

yes m8

the sunroof has 4 drains - 2 front & 2 rear

if you open the sunroof on full slide they are visible in each corner - if you have access to an air line then just bow them out & then pour a little water into each & watch the respective corner to make sure they drain ok

FYI the seal around the sunroof metal top is only really to stem the water flow - water that passes it by design goes into the channel in the sunroof cartridge & then out via the 4 drains mentioned

as per my pervious post my issue was caused by someone not refitting the thin plastic cover which sits over the foliage & attaches (well rests on) to the bottom of the windscreen & the bulk head

If you can't find the leak , a good idea is to remove the carpet , it's wet anyway . And as Gold says, the sound proofing will never dry if it's left in . Once you have just the floor pan showing . Sprinkle talc everywhere . This will show you where it's coming in from .

nice idea that rob

It could be the body door seal. I was having a similar problem on the daily and have finally located at the start of the heavy rain that the rubber must be split and coming in about 30mm from where the door seal joins together

Seems like a possible coincidence that the heater fan has packed up and you've also got a stellar water leak... might be worth getting the scuttle area cleaned out, and the heater motor cover gasket replaced.. still available from VAG :)

Did check the scuttle areas - all look good. But you're right, coincidences rarely happen .. will take another look when I get a moment.

...and the whole plastic foliage grille unit on top of the fan assembly is loose...

No wonder it's ****ing into the car. Right behind all the electronics. Nice.

Looks like there's supposed to be a clip holding it down on the outside edge. Nothing there now (see v. bad pictures). What should be holding it down?

Well. Distinctly not there..! Looks like silicone sealant it is then ...

And, is it likely there's a puddle of water in the fan housing? Much as I hate to, I think I'm going to need to strip that off yet again.

Edited by dr_mat

I went through this, in the end I think mine was caused by a rust hole in the A pillar underneath the windscreen seal

Ok, silicone sealant in place. The metal pin is missing so there's nothing to hold the grille down but hopefully the sealant will do the job. Actually I didn't use silicone sealant I used gutter sealant, I suspected that's probably a better bet. I'm not up to welding a new fixing pin on myself, so this will have to do.

So now - the fan. I've verified that the fan itself is not working (getting 12v supply to it). I am guessing there's a fuse in there but can't see how to strip it down without prying off the spring washers top or bottom of the spindle. Anyone have a spare (with or without resistor pack) for a '95 VR6? Alternatively a hint on how to strip it down.

it's always the door membranes in my experience, even if they look like they are OK, the daft design allows water to collect between the membrane and the inner skin and leaks rarely show a trace on the door bottom or sill trim

In my case, it's definitely the scuttle area leaf guard that's leaking. Meanwhile I found the clips holding the fan motor into the plastic casing so that's out now and I can't really see anything wrong with it, so I have to assume there's a broken winding or something. Will check it again later. Otherwise yeah replacement motor time.

For those that do have a failed fan I found ECP selling a generic replacement (without resistor pack) for only thirty quid at the moment so I'll probably order one anyway.

But I also found that I fiddled around a bit and my fan does in fact work so I've refitted it for now. Hopefully this is me sorted for the time being, I wait for the next rainstorm with baited breath....