Storm Guy

Replacement Fuel Pump - VR6, 2015 and onwards

Can we clarify you are fitting the Johns pump with your spare VDO sender VR6 South ? Also when JP said the pump was not suitable was that because it was a 3 bar or because it is not suitable for a Piersberg early pump set up.

Cheers.

If all goes to plan, I will be fitting the Johns pump with the VDO sender. I provided the part number of the original later VDO pump and 4 bar pressure rating to J.P. to which they gave their response. HTH.

Ok good info let us know how you get on, that Johns pump might be quality and just called Johns to sell a different a quality brand on a budget, this is happening a lot in the automotive world.

I’m pleased to report that my fuel pump arrived safely today. Having visually checked the original VDO pump against the Johns pump they look identical. I just need to put time aside to fit the new one. Having ordered the new pump, the one I have fitted is working perfectly. I guess it’s just a matter of time before it packs in.

Thanks for the info . I’m familiar with most parts on the car but not the pump. I thought the white pump is what’s in the tank, what part is the swirl pot please?.

No worries - if you scroll back through the thread, I posted some photos of the whole thing disassembled.

There is very little which can fail on the swirl pot. It’s usually the inner pump which fails. The problem is that it usually comes supplied as a complete unit. How wasteful!!

There is very little which can fail on the swirl pot. It’s usually the inner pump which fails. The problem is that it usually comes supplied as a complete unit. How wasteful!!

Mines the early style pump, the internal rubber mounts dissolved and the pump would move around allowing the swirl pot to drain making the car lose power on left hand bends and especially roundabouts. When you're paying garages to fit parts fitting the complete unit would be cheaper than stripping and rebuilding the swirl pot. non genuine pumps wont necessarily fit standard swirl pot either.

Mines the early style pump, the internal rubber mounts dissolved and the pump would move around allowing the swirl pot to drain making the car lose power on left hand bends and especially roundabouts. When you're paying garages to fit parts fitting the complete unit would be cheaper than stripping and rebuilding the swirl pot. non genuine pumps wont necessarily fit standard swirl pot either.

Exactly this that's why I went for a VDO pump and sender, not cheap but should last a hell of long time.

I had the same issue with an early pump, all the seals turned to goo and gunked up the fuel tank. I don’t think the rubber components of the early pumps were ever available.

I thought this could be my problem, but I’m sure I’ve got a late pump. Oh well I will have to dig it out on Sunday and have a look . I do have problems with turning and losing power though .

I know this thread is mainly for late the VR6, but If other people with an older Corrado including G60 16V and the early VR6 are thinking of changing the complete fuel pump assembly with sender, Remember that the early Corrado has a 12 gallon tank and the later ones have a 15 gallon tank, So a potential problem here is if you’re thinking of getting a swirl pot, sender and pump together do check if the sender is for your relevant tank capacity, otherwise you will get incorrect fuel gauge readings.

Just thought I'd put up I have a brand new late vr6 pump for sale 4 bar on my for sale thread.

I have just fitted the Johns pump, swapping the VDO fuel sender and fuel tank lid. It is a perfect fit and works exactly how it should. The second Pierburg Pump which was fitted second hand last year was showing signs of the rubber seals going into melt down. I guess it’s just a case of time before all original Pierburg pumps go that way.

For £40 delivered I would highly recommend the Johns pump which comes with a 2 year warranty.

Just thought I'd put up I have a brand new late vr6 pump for sale 4 bar on my for sale thread.

How much did you want for it Jon ?

Chaps , sorry to put this post up . BUT . Can I have the correct link to the jp pump and can you confirm that the sender fits . I’ve had fuel problems today and I’m sure the pump is knackered. I need to order it now. Also , reading through this the pierburg is the early style ?, that’s what is on the car now , so I’m presuming the float will not fit the new pump .

Edited by robrado974

The link to the JP should be in the thread. The Pierburg sender will NOT fit the later style pumps - you'll need a VDO type sender.

Chaps , sorry to put this post up . BUT . Can I have the correct link to the jp pump and can you confirm that the sender fits . I’ve had fuel problems today and I’m sure the pump is knackered. I need to order it now. Also , reading through this the pierburg is the early style ?, that’s what is on the car now , so I’m presuming the float will not fit the new pump .

JP’s Tech Dept advised me that they do not manufacture a 4 bar pump suitable for a VR6. This is why I went for the John’s Pump in the end. The VDO sender fits the john’s Pump perfectly.