Storm Guy

Replacement Fuel Pump - VR6, 2015 and onwards

3 minutes ago, fendervg said:

I think the moral is still to stump up for the VDO pump if you can find one.

Yes I agree and that's where I am leaning as well. I don't want to cheap out especially on this part. There's lots of VDO for sale on ebay, just twice as expensive than the others. Am I right to think the factory sender clips right into the VDO swirl pot or need a VDO sender? That's one of the thing I'm not 100% sure... 

22 minutes ago, Crasher said:

Remember pre 95 VR6 Golf and Corrado are 4 Bar and post 95 Golf VR6 3Bar.

Thanks, I know for sure I have a 4 Bar system. 

On 4/23/2019 at 6:25 AM, fendervg said:

If your sender is working fine and is the correct late one for the VDO pump body, I would just swap it over - they tend to be pretty clean sitting in petrol all day long. Just be careful when removing it from the old swirl pot, as sometimes the plastic can be brittle and breaks easily. or for peace of mind and at that price I'd get a new one (I had to anyway as mine was a Pierburg) and keep it as a spare or give it to someone else who is upgrading their pump.

Fen, 

Before I commit can I please have your confirmation that I understand correctly? 

-On a late 95 VR6 with a 1H0919651Q, if I swap the swirl pot for a VDO E22041060Z, I CAN reuse the same fuel sender the car came with 535919673C and it should technically be in good shape. 

-If I decide to buy a new sender, either oem 535919673C or the VDO 221833002011Z are the two options. 

Do I get this right? Thanks for your time! 

Hi - a late 95 car should already have a VDO pump in it, as the Pierburg was only used for about 18 months for the early VRs. Your fuel gauge sender and float should just swap straight over on to a new VDO pump or swirl pot.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2022 at 3:23 AM, fendervg said:

Hi - a late 95 car should already have a VDO pump in it, as the Pierburg was only used for about 18 months for the early VRs. Your fuel gauge sender and float should just swap straight over on to a new VDO pump or swirl pot.

Thanks so much for sharing the knowledge, now I know for sure what I need and better be at this price! Cheers 

No worries - are you buying the full pump and swirl pot? I may have some pics that show the VDO setup - leave it with me

27 minutes ago, fendervg said:

No worries - are you buying the full pump and swirl pot? I may have some pics that show the VDO setup - leave it with me

Yes mate, pump and swirl pot. I thought it was almost impossible to buy just the pump. This is what I found the cheapest and will buy. Cheers! 

Screenshot_20221214-064112.png

That's the one - so from a late car running the VDO originally the sender will just swap over on to the new swirl pot housing.

7 minutes ago, fendervg said:

That's the one - so from a late car running the VDO originally the sender will just swap over on to the new swirl pot housing.

That's great, thank you for confirming this I appreciate it! 

Ordered one from these guys recently and they responded to all my questions to confirm VAG/VDO part numbers , arrived all ok albeit it took a month to actually arrive.

image.png

Thanks guys for the pictures and the link. I guess I better shop around! It's "funny" how in the US, they are advertised as VR6 2.8, I thought the pump would be different since those are not a 4 BAR like the ABV? 

2.8 pump would be 3 bar -  but runnning a higher pressure pump would work fine as the fuel pressure regulatero would take care of the difference - not so convinced it would work the other way around though.

57 minutes ago, fendervg said:

2.8 pump would be 3 bar -  but runnning a higher pressure pump would work fine as the fuel pressure regulatero would take care of the difference - not so convinced it would work the other way around though.

Reading this, that makes a lot of sense yes! 

I did check with Pelican that it was a 4 bar pump and they confirmed it was. Bought from the US in the end after getting fed up of Uk supplies saying they had them in stock taking the order then 3 weeks later saying they don’t.

3939EDCA-BF9B-496C-90FD-7FE101C05762.jpeg

7 hours ago, mnmv12 said:

I did check with Pelican that it was a 4 bar pump and they confirmed it was. Bought from the US in the end after getting fed up of Uk supplies saying they had them in stock taking the order then 3 weeks later saying they don’t.

3939EDCA-BF9B-496C-90FD-7FE101C05762.jpeg

Thanks for letting me know! I may contact them to see how much they would charge me for shipping, the price is definitely good! Cheers 

1 hour ago, mnmv12 said:

Just remember you will need to pay the Vat on top, the UK shipping agent will send you the bill.

No VAT for me mate but I'll still pay duty fees and big shipping cost as I am in Canada! 

On 10/29/2022 at 12:27 PM, Crasher said:

I use the Febi 4 Bar unit and it is fine.

Where from please?