Roger Chatfield

Golf mk4 R32

Evening chums,

So my family suituation has changed slightly recently and I'm now thinking about selling the Storm and getting something a bit more modern and suitable to my current needs.

Never the one to make sensible decisions I've decided a Mk4 R32 would foot the bill.

Has anyone on here ever owned one and could perhaps provide a honest unbiased opinion.

Many thanks

Rog.

Evening chums,

So my family suituation has changed slightly recently and I'm now thinking about selling the Storm and getting something a bit more modern and suitable to my current needs.

Never the one to make sensible decisions I've decided a Mk4 R32 would foot the bill.

Has anyone on here ever owned one and could perhaps provide a honest unbiased opinion.

Many thanks

Rog.

Mr Bacon and Mr Lobitos to name but two have owned MK4s, CazzaVR has a similar aged S3 (I've always wanted one).

I'm not sure I'd part with my VR6 for a MK4 based car, I've owned 3 MK4s, 2 Octavias, a Toledo and she has an A3 all based on the same platform.

I will cover the basics, its not cheap on insurance i was 22/23 when i owned my first one, fuel wise they will suck. Much More than a rado (iv also had a rado vr6) driving like a lunatic gave me approximately 8mpg loll... Never really noticed how it was driving casually... Then again the sound and performance justified the fuel costs lol. The more i drove it the more i enjoyed it it was an absolute plesure to drive, as its a 4x4 it gives u that extra edge grips the road etc etc... Iv had both as 2 doors so not very practical if you have family/kids.. Size wise its very practical parking is easy etc etc.. If you get one with the full leather seats then bare in mind they are not the most comfortable seats.. They are also prone to wear/rip on the bolsters.. There not to bad maintenance wise meaning body parts can be used of a standard mk4 if you have rust issues or maybe have a bump.. Most bits are interchangeable but when it comes to servicing it can be pricey depending how deep ur pockets are... First 1 i owned was standard 3 door in black i never really had any issues except for coil packs... Thankfully VW had a recall for them and this was taken care of free of charge... The 2nd one i owned was the more desirable blue again 3 door... I spent decent amount of money on her, upgraded air intake, decat, miltek exhausts and a stage 1 remap and all i will say is HOLY SH** lol ... Sounded absolutely insane on the throttle and felt much much more crisp... Anyhow overall i would highly recommend one iv had the privilege of using a friends mk5 r32 and honestly the mk4 is more special.. Its a lovely car and worth having as long as you know it will need attention and ofcourse money lol.. Anything else plz ask

I had one loved it nice to drive handle well the only thing is they are **** on fuel they make a vr6 look awesome

We had one for three years, blue, three door with leather interior. As others have said they're not the best on fuel, 24/25 is about all you can expect day to day. Seats are not the most comfortable compared to the Recaros we had in the S3 we swapped for the 32 or those in the Corrado. Interior creaks and rattles endlessly, just came to accept that in the end.

But, we loved the car, great sound, especially with a Milltek fitted, decent handling (considering it's a Mk4 Golf), good grip and a great engine. We only sold it in favour of a Mk2 3.2 TT, same drive, less rattles!

Cheers fellas, good to hear that there are no major problems with them.

I love the storm but I just need something a bit more modern that doesn't mind being left outside, problem is once you've had a VR its hard to find a car with an equal to that engine but I think the 32 fits that bill.

How does the performance compare to a VR6 Corrado.

Rog.

Performance whise they are great, iv not owned a non vr6 rado or golf so in comparison to them im not sure.. onestly its tough im a firm supporter of the vr6 engine, the sound, performance etc ... The mk4 r32 feels more nippy which ofcourse it is but the way it delivers power etc is quite different to the old vr6, its not a bad car it will satisfy u but don't expect it to be bang on like a vr6..

Another thing pal if your budget is around 7k y dont u consider a mk5 r32?? Much more modern.. More space etc.. Then again a mk4 is special :)

The R32 is a noticeable step up in refinement and build quality over the Corrado and it's a nice car overall. When I got mine I was expecting it to be a useless old dog, and a wet one at that, based on the criticism the MK4 has received over the years, but the R32 is not like the FWD ones. It looks and drives so much better.

Fuel, don't even think about it, it isn't great, but then it's not going to be with a 3.2 engine and 1500kg to haul around.

I sold it and bought a MK5 Edition 30.

Why?

3 reasons really. 1) I got bored of it quicker than I expected. 2) It's too slow (for me). A standard VR6 Corrado will keep with it easily. 3) I just didn't get on with Haldex, and being the 1st generation, it's pretty lame tbh, even with a 'blue controller'.

Be careful with aftermarket exhausts on the R32. Nearly all of them drone like a b1tch, even the standard system does, and it's irritatingly loud. I reduced it on mine quite a lot by cutting the bypass system off and welding it up.

Don't decat it either as it drones even more and it reduces the torque.

If you really want an R32, I would urge you to get a MK5 instead because the chassis is soooooooo much better. Not as nice to look at, but better to drive and better engine. DSG a must. If 4WD and engine noise aren't essential, a MK5 GTI is a fine choice. Edition 30 if you want better looks and more power.

With Kev on the performance- not a step up from a VR at all really. Drop Lewvw a pm, as he had one until recently. It certainly wasn't a match for my Stage 1 2002 S3...

Think I would struggle to live with the noise of an R32... I feel like I am alone here but that raspy exhaust note is right up there in grating noises with a screaming shouty VTEC motor. Much much prefer the more chesty bellow of our humble VR6 motors instead.

Would definitely take a 2.0 turbo motor in a GTI/Golf R/Leon Cupra/S3/Octavia VRS type application I think. Quiet refinement and lovely turbo torque.

Depends on budget but I would certainly go for the Golf Mk5 chassis. The Edition 30 GTi is far better looking than the R32 and will be faster than a Corrado VR6. I now run a Mk7 GTi PP with DSG as a daily so more than happy with that:)

Heart says R32, head says S3, The more I think about this the more I think a S3 would currently suit me better.

4k would get me a tidy S3 but I'd be looking at 7k plus for a tidy 32, also the S3 is quicker and cheaper to run / insure than a 32, yes it's not as good looking and I'd lose that lovey sound but turbo power also has its additions...lol..

So...thinking a few years ahead now...nice R32 on the drive or nice S3 with a Mk2 Golf project in the garage..mmmmmmmm decisions.....

(Probably end up keeping the Rado...lol)

Rog.

So...thinking a few years ahead now...nice R32 on the drive or nice S3 with a Mk2 Golf project in the garage..mmmmmmmm decisions.....

Rog.

S3 with Corrado in the garage surely? Best of both!

Hmm, I bought an S3 to replace the VR6 in 2005. I swapped it for the R32 in 2008 and again for the TT in 2010. But through all of that I kept the Corrado as we couldn't bring ourselves to sell it, we're now committed to keeping it forever! Good luck staying away!!!

I had a mk4 R32 last year, they are really nice cars BUT there are perhaps better options for your money, however they do also hold value well. A lot of them have rust though, I looked at 4 before buying mine and they all had rusty arches/spots on the quarter panels etc and in really random places... So try to get as many pictures and ask as many questions as you can if it's not local. I agree that the VR does sound better as standard, however the Miltek exhaust on the R32 sounds awesome, and is a popular mod so you may even find one with it already fitted.

Also check that the coil packs have been replaced under warranty/recall, if not and you do buy one, get them replaced FOC from VW.

never owned an r32 but I recently brought a golf v6 4motion (3door no sun roof} which in my eyes minus the body kit/interior differences isn't that much different apart from being 2.8 vr6 instead of 3.2 vr6, cheaper insurance and fuel, sounds just as good!, has the same AWD system, very comfortable with heated recaros and is still pretty quick, and can be had for pretty cheap leaving loads of spare change for an r32 body kit and a lot more if you wanted, food for thought...

Heart says R32, head says S3, The more I think about this the more I think a S3 would currently suit me better.

4k would get me a tidy S3 but I'd be looking at 7k plus for a tidy 32, also the S3 is quicker and cheaper to run / insure than a 32, yes it's not as good looking and I'd lose that lovey sound but turbo power also has its additions...lol..

Rog.

If you do fancy an S3 mate give me a shout, I have a very clean Dolphin Grey going up for sale in the next few weeks, all the toys with it to.

I'd listen to your head on this occasion!

Sorry this is all my fault by putting the idea in Rogers head lol we saw one the other day and we got talking as two petrol heads do I just love em I love the fact that out the box they looks the business!!! I too have always fancied one, love the sound in my eyes a modern day rallye but just could never part with the Corrado!!

Edited by Chris Langdon