Roger Chatfield

ABF engine in a Corrado

Morning chums.

I'm had my 8v 20 mins now and whilst it's an awesome little car it does need a tad more power, originally my plan was to tune the ADY engine but from doing a little bit of research it seems you need to spend some serious cash to get any decent power from the old ADY.

I'm now considering an engine swap, I've had loads of ideas such as a 20vT but folk claim they are soul less to even a Honda 2.2 VTEC but I think on balance the 2.0 16v ABF engine looks like a good choice.

So has anyone any experience of running a ABF rado? Is it an easy swap? Is the ABF tuneable etc.

Rog.

Never put one in a Corrado but had an ABF in a mk2 golf. Great engine, very revvy, but difficult to get more than 160bhp out of without spending some cash. I've seen them on blueprinted motors running 180-190bhp though so it is possible. Also, they're all old motors now so will likely have high miles on them.... worth considering.

Should be a very easy swap. I believe all the mounting points are the same so no changes there. Could even run it on stand-alone and tune it yourself if you're feeling brave.

hi Rog - nice to see you back in a rado

sorry to hear you are not so pleased wit its power though

i am very much 'driving miss daisy' when im in my 16v but it does go somewhat better after its 1st proper service back in my ownership

regarding you question, forgive me if i have this the wrong way round, but i think for the 2.0 ABF engine you can put KR cams in it & then a bigger TB for a quick fix increase - though unsure of gains

alternatively, how about tarting the 8v & sell it to be replaced with a VR? lol

Or buy VEEDUBBED'S spare forged bottom end, turbo, head and manifold aswell..

Get a spare Weber loom off a rusty lancia delta or cosworth and fit it all onto the ABF..

Why not just keep the 8v as a classic runabout (they are a great engine and mix of drive-ability and fuel economy) and get a VR or something special for the weekend? I wouldn't mess with an original 8v C at this stage as they are becoming very rare, with not that many being made in the first place.

Or buy VEEDUBBED'S spare forged bottom end, turbo, head and manifold aswell..

Get a spare Weber loom off a rusty lancia delta or cosworth and fit it all onto the ABF..

Ummmm Turbo....do you have a kit?

Kr or abf cams in a 9a head for increase in power. Nothing much to do in an 8v unfortunately. I had an AGG in a mk3 Golf and they're almost identical so know the well. As mentioned, aside from cams and a remap, you're talking far more money than its worth for an abf power increase. 20vT lumps are dead cheap and offer decent value for power. Maybe drive one locally to see what they're like? I'm sure plenty on south West dubs will have em in mk2 Golf's to give you an idea and will let you have a quick go mate.

Why not just keep the 8v as a classic runabout (they are a great engine and mix of drive-ability and fuel economy) and get a VR or something special for the weekend? I wouldn't mess with an original 8v C at this stage as they are becoming very rare, with not that many being made in the first place.

+1

Sent from my SM-J500H using Tapatalk

Thanks fir the replies fellas, TBH I've not really driven the 8v much so as time goes on I might actually be happy with 115bhp..lol

Had a Storm for a few years so done the VR thing and fancy a change, I've a PD130 golf for daily duties so 'Whitey' is my weekend fun car.

The 20vT is an inch I feel I would like to scratch as I love turbo power but you know what, having owned a Mazda 3 MPS with 300 bhp I feel you can have 'too much' power, it was an awesome car but just didn't have the fun factor of making a lower power car go fast.

The ABF conversion appeals to me as its not stupid expensive, seems to be fairly easy to do and can be 'undone' with ease and offers IMHO enough power to make a Corrado fun.

Rog.

VEEDUBBED'S the parts vulture mate..

Got manifolds, injectors, turbos, pistons, bottom ends..

Sorry for dragging off topic.

Personally I wouldn't bother with abf, I helped put one in my mates mk1 golf and it was severely underwhelming, almost disappointing.

It depends what sort of money you want to put into, I'd love to see a tfsi engine in a corrado, I reckon that would be a fantastic drive with loads of tuning possibilities and a modern engine. But the 1.8t has been done loads so tonnes of information & conversion parts out there, getting dirt cheap to do and it's all reversible anyway.

End of the day it's your car so do what you want with it, I see so many people with cars they don't enjoy but won't do anything to it because it's 'getting rare'. It's like having an old computer that is old and tired but keeping it because it might be worth something in 20 years

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have an ABF in my corrado converted from an 8v when the ecu died a few years ago, it's a very nice drive and suits the car well in my opinion. Not quite a VR though but holds it own against most.

Although saying that I'm converting to a 1.8t currently as its a better design, more modern ecu, more tuning possibilities, similar mpg too.

Keep the 8v and spend a bit of cash on that and keep it looking stock?

Port and polish the head, maybe a 1900 or 2000 block balanced and lightend? - I did this to 8v MK2 Golf some years ago it rolled 139BHP and would easily keep with a 16v