Jim

Other parts to 3D scan & print?

I've been in touch with an interesting looking company to get an idea on pricing for 3D scanning and printing. They're keen to work with me, and on paper the prices look viable.. I was just scratching my head on any interior trim parts or similar which are now obsolete, that would be good candidates for 3D printing.

I'd quite like to have a go at the fuse box cover clips. Can anyone think of anything else that would be good to attempt cloning?

Cheers.

Door lock pins and surrounds Jim! My surrounds are missing a tab or 2 to keep them down on the door card. I'm sure I can think of more though......

Also, do they just do black?

Nice one - cheers Sean.

Hmm... the pins are an interesting one as I wonder whether they'll be able to scan the thread inside the pin..

I know the pins unscrew - how easy are the surrounds to remove? Like the binnacle covers before, mine were in good condition but I wrecked them in the process of removing them for 3D scanning.. I don't want to break the lock pin surrounds too if possible :)

Other colours would probably be possible, yes. Would have to talk to them about that and see what the options are.

The Pins could probably be done without the thread then tapped afterward. Shouldn't be too difficult and prospective buyers could do it? It's an option I suppose. The surrounds just have little nubs at the bottom to hold them in under the wood of the card I think. One of mine is OK but the other always comes up when I unlock the car.

I may have some pin surrounds of you want to use them Jim can check for you

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

The Pins could probably be done without the thread then tapped afterward. Shouldn't be too difficult and prospective buyers could do it? It's an option I suppose. The surrounds just have little nubs at the bottom to hold them in under the wood of the card I think. One of mine is OK but the other always comes up when I unlock the car.

Good info.. cheers. I'm sure I could look into tapping the pins prior to sending them out :)

I may have some pin surrounds of you want to use them Jim can check for you

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

Cheers Chris - that'd be handy!

I've got the heater control cog drawn up in 3d, did mean to send it to someone on here but completely forgot.

I do have 3d software (auto desk inventor) if you need anything modeling, although I'm a bit rubbish at remembering to send it on. Have loads of time over Christmas to play while I'm visiting in laws down in Devon though

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You got to love threads like this,

Everybody's passion to keep our cars alive,

Thanks Jim,much appreciated whatever you have made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately as I've sold my Corrado, and so no longer have a car to test any designs on, not sure I can take this any further.

If I can get a genuine part I can get a drawing done and get the parts made, providing there is enough interest.

noyce. Sure they'll be enough interest for the odds n sods that go missing or whatever. Mine's a bit of an awkward, bespoke type jobber - a housing for the Racelogic controller. Big market there! Thinking of converting the ashtray in the dash to a slidey type of fing.

noyce. Sure they'll be enough interest for the odds n sods that go missing or whatever. Mine's a bit of an awkward, bespoke type jobber - a housing for the Racelogic controller. Big market there! Thinking of converting the ashtray in the dash to a slidey type of fing.

That's probably a bit bespoke! I was thinking more in the way of clips/bits and bobs. I have a moulding machine that will just need the tooling made. It will be better quality than the 3D printing but probably elevated in price.

I'm a 3d artist and have access to a 3d scanner and printer, i may be able to pick this up. However my 3d printer costs a bit more to print but the quality is spot on. Would you be able to forward the prices you got Jim and i will see if i can atleast match them.

Edited by Mike Hall

I'm a 3d artist and have access to a 3d scanner and printer, i may be able to pick this up. However my 3d printer costs a bit more to print but the quality is spot on. Would you be able to forward the prices you got Jim and i will see if i can atleast match them.

Bit of a random question. Could you map something and 3D print a mirror image of it? Reason I ask is, I have something that is for a lhd that I would like to somehow fit into a rhd

Bit of a random question. Could you map something and 3D print a mirror image of it? Reason I ask is, I have something that is for a lhd that I would like to somehow fit into a rhd

Ha ha VDO Guages

Yeah that would be easy to do as long as the item isnt too big :)

Ha ha, I guess it depends on what you mean by big :)

It's the front facing part of the vdo gauges that fit in the cubbyhole under the ashtray

Ha ha, I guess it depends on what you mean by big :)

It's the front facing part of the vdo gauges that fit in the cubbyhole under the ashtray

Definitely possible but aren't there already several versions of them for RHD?

So if I cobble together some measurements you'd be down for some printy action?

So if I cobble together some measurements you'd be down for some printy action?

Definitely i'll just need to make sure it's cost effective for you as the prints are a bit expensive due to the high detail it can print at.