Geeba

Rescued White VR!

I'd hope the forks are still available, I would say almost certainly but best to check.

Also, what about a short shifter kit from daves16v, got to be easier to do it at this stage?

I'd hope the forks are still available, I would say almost certainly but best to check.

Also, what about a short shifter kit from daves16v, got to be easier to do it at this stage?

OPTIONS:-

Or 20J tower and shifter mod?

Lightened flywheel? Gas and Gears (Hotgolf - club gti)

3.65 diff?

Chain kit (or just the bottom as the engine is out)

OPTIONS:-

Or 20J tower and shifter mod?

Lightened flywheel? Gas and Gears (Hotgolf - club gti)

3.65 diff?

Chain kit (or just the bottom as the engine is out)

Hi Dox

Any pointers on the 20J mod? I've got no idea what it is :(

I was thinking about a lightened flywheel.... would it be better to get the bottom end ballanced at the same time... I remember it made a huge difference to my Golf GTI's many years ago... how well does the VR lump respond to balancing and lightning?

And the 3.65 diff? advantages?

Also can anyone recomend a clutch brand? I guess the main dealer part is long gone?

Hi Dox

Any pointers on the 20J mod? I've got no idea what it is :(

I was thinking about a lightened flywheel.... would it be better to get the bottom end ballanced at the same time... I remember it made a huge difference to my Golf GTI's many years ago... how well does the VR lump respond to balancing and lightning?

And the 3.65 diff? advantages?

Also can anyone recomend a clutch brand? I guess the main dealer part is long gone?

Sorry, fat fingers, should have been 02J - its the later MK4 onwards improved shift tower on the VR6 02A gearbox, MK4 cables and shifter mounted into a Polo housing so it fits the tunnel.

Hotgolf on CGTi lightened my flywheel for £80 inc return P&P - he now trades as Gas and Gears

LUK or Sachs clutch kit

3.68 diff is what the Americans got to pep up their 2.8s (184 BHP against our 190BHP), fitted to our MK3 GTi 16V, so the diff goes in the VR6 gearbox and gives quicker acceleration and a better spread performance wise.

I have most of the above (and more) sat on shelves waiting for me to get my finger out.

Sorry, fat fingers, should have been 02J - its the later MK4 onwards improved shift tower on the VR6 02A gearbox, MK4 cables and shifter mounted into a Polo housing so it fits the tunnel.

Hotgolf on CGTi lightened my flywheel for £80 inc return P&P - he now trades as Gas and Gears

LUK or Sachs clutch kit

3.68 diff is what the Americans got to pep up their 2.8s (184 BHP against our 190BHP), fitted to our MK3 GTi 16V, so the diff goes in the VR6 gearbox and gives quicker acceleration and a better spread performance wise.

I have most of the above (and more) sat on shelves waiting for me to get my finger out.

ok sounds interesting... is the 16v diff strong enough to handle the VR6 ok?

Does the VR lump respond to lighen and balance? - I was just thinking if I have the engine out :s

What price at GSF - most weekend codes for GSF are 50+% off now.

Whats your budget?, once fitted with a new clutch its unlikely you'll want to remove the gearbox again - its cat removal to fit the shifter so again while its off aDave16V short shift or 02J if budget allows is a good time to do it.

I've only seem praise for the 3.68 diff mod (its supposed to make the VR come "alive") hence its in my collection of parts.

If you look at redbourbons build thread, his is my dream build, all old skool period mods, 3.68, schrick, cams etc and I think his made 230 BHP mapped at Stealth?

I did look at GSF - they only have the clutches listed as 'Vetech' and 'premium' so I wasnt sure exactly what I would be getting... like you suggested earlier I was thinking Luk.

Not really sure on the budget - I intend to keep the car so a few extra pennies here and there wont be a huge worry... how much is Daves shifter... I've round short shifts to be notchy in the past.

Yeah had a read up on the 3.68 diff and it does seem to be a good idean - yep been reading Redbourbons thread, pretty considerable power hike...

I did look at GSF - they only have the clutches listed as 'Vetech' and 'premium' so I wasnt sure exactly what I would be getting... like you suggested earlier I was thinking Luk.

Not really sure on the budget - I intend to keep the car so a few extra pennies here and there wont be a huge worry... how much is Daves shifter... I've round short shifts to be notchy in the past.

Yeah had a read up on the 3.68 diff and it does seem to be a good idean - yep been reading Redbourbons thread, pretty considerable power hike...

Email them and ask?

Cool they say its a Luk or Sachs...

It used to say so when you clicked in the premium tab, but not when I tried earlier.

They usually email me early Friday morning with a code, bank hols seem to have the max discounts

I use the sachs clutch, bought a new clutch from the dealers for my first clutch and then sachs ones from ECP after that, they are the same part/same box but ECP are over half the price.

Well the manual conversion is rolling! :D

Just ordered the clutch from GSF - cheers for the weekend code Dox - fantastic price ;)

Anyone fitted a Dave16V shifter? - I'm just having a look around on what to upgrade.

Anyone fitted a Dave16V shifter? - I'm just having a look around on what to upgrade.

yes, they are sublime!

love the one in my VR & plan to get another for the valver hopefully

ive not crunched a 2nd to 3rd gear change in the VR since fitting one of daves :D

Still collecting parts for my VR... a friend of mine has offered me some MK4 TDI130 - which apparently fit over 288mm disks - will these fit the Corrado does anyone know?

Still collecting parts for my VR... a friend of mine has offered me some MK4 TDI130 - which apparently fit over 288mm disks - will these fit the Corrado does anyone know?

Some? Callipers and carriers? Yes, but you need to used MK3 golf GTi / VR6 288mm disks (not MK4 as they're the wrong off set - but you can use them with spacers between the carrier and the knuckle ala 312mm conversion)

Some? Callipers and carriers? Yes, but you need to used MK3 golf GTi / VR6 288mm disks (not MK4 as they're the wrong off set - but you can use them with spacers between the carrier and the knuckle ala 312mm conversion)

Sorry Dox yes calipers... unfortunately no carriers...

Sorry Dox yes calipers... unfortunately no carriers...

I had callipers and carriers in the sale section, you'll need carriers.

I'll have 312s for sale next week too (currently finishing off breaking a BAM engine TT).

I had callipers and carriers in the sale section, you'll need carriers.

I'll have 312s for sale next week too (currently finishing off breaking a BAM engine TT).

Ahhhh do you have the rear TT calipers and carriers? I was tempted to add the vented rears.

I'm not sure what they're like yet as the wheels are still on

I'm not sure what they're like yet as the wheels are still on

No worries - keep me posted if theyre any good and you want to move them on ;)

Well I was just about to cut the lawn in my lunch break and a pallet from Lilfuzzer turned up! :D

As always suitable packaging to get me in the mood for the weekend and the job in hand! ;)

IMG_20170526_115854.jpg

A pallet full of fun! - gesssss need to address those weeds all over the driveway as soon as the Corrado is in its new home tomorrow.

IMG_20170526_120002.jpg

IMG_20170526_115950.jpg

IMG_20170526_120534.jpg

Looking forward to getting started now ;)

Need a few more bits, a short shift from Dave if he's still around, a flywheel, a diff maybe, think about balancing and lightning the bottom end and maybe a ported head... oh and a cold can of FOSTERS! decision :)

Thanks again Chris! you're a legend!

Finally got round to making a start! been rounding up parts and thinking about what I'm going to do - made a deal with my Mum that if I cleaned the garage out I could work on the car there!

So a litre of floor paint and a few trips to the local tip we were ready...

IMG_20170615_132022.jpg

I'd already moved the car round a couple of weeks earlier so we made a start..

IMG_20170615_132029.jpg

I had a mate helping me... his rather nice GTI in the background, the radiator and support bracket had disintegrated, both of which I've got... brand new Hella rad and a powdercoated rad support waiting to go on..

IMG_20170615_145650.jpg

It still had the factory fit exhaust, but unfortunately it had also made a huge attempt to return to mother earth... so out came the grinder :(

IMG_20170615_180522.jpg

By the end of the afternoon the car was in the garage and suitably chocked out ready to drop the entire front end.

IMG_20170615_210442.jpg

Beers were also on the agenda! ;)

Next morning we undid the rest of the sub-frame bolts and dropped the whole lot out in one go... pretty much identical to the way I used to do MK2 GTI's ;) - just a bit bigger.

and here it is!

IMG-20170616-WA0005.jpg

Continued to strip it down, it came apart really well considering the age and how long it had been stood, it was all as it had left the factory as far as we could tell it had never been pulled about.

IMG_20170616_204908.jpg

Plan is to get all the metal work blasted and powder-coated so it will look like new, everything else will get a dam good clean and refurbed as needed. A good friend of mine owns a Porsche tuning company and we're going to have a chat once the motor is stripped down - I'm going to do shells, seals and chains of course, but I'm also thinking along the lines of a mild port'n'polish and big valve head so I can bring her into the 200hp club whilst still looking OEM.

Unfortunately there was one casualty :( - just as we pushed the body over the last bit of the engine it clipped the engine loom multi plug :(

IMG_20170616_133902.jpg

Gutted! it's bent the pins so I'll have to source a new one. to be fair it was in pretty bad condition with most of its wrapping missing and what was there was very brittle .. if anyone has one let me know.

Then it was off to Guns'n'Roses on the Saturday! all in all a good weekend!

IMG_20170617_212843.jpg

Edited by Geeba