Geeba

Rescued White VR!

Maybe worth contacting tomorrow if it hasn't sold to see about posting ..... good luck

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The fella on ebay has said he will post.... what sort of job is it to replace the chrome trim lifters? am I risking a nervous breakdown? LOL :)

A lot of it is made up of parts with pegs and circlips. Very small ones. Just do it a side at a time laying them side by side and you will sort it. Not forgetting a clean and the sunroof grease.

Be aware. ...the parts are even more fiddly and fragile when out of the frame.

On the plus side, you got the car started, so you will sort this. Good luck

Sorry. . Bloomin tapatalk !! I don't understand why sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. It was only a few pictures of the fiddly workings of the parts. You will sort the sunroof problem

Sorry. . Bloomin tapatalk !! I don't understand why sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. It was only a few pictures of the fiddly workings of the parts. You will sort the sunroof problem

Cheers Cressa, don't suppose you have the chrome lifters left over from you sunroof adventure do you? :D

I've just put the motor back on the old roof... and the park seems to be way off, I read somewhere that you park the motor then remove it and manually wind the roof into place... question is thou ... how do you manually wind the roof into place if the motor has been removed?

I think the best way would be to manually position the sunroof in the correct position in the roof - what you define as your 'parked' position - using the switch, driving the motor. Then unbolt the sunroof motor and drop it out of the mechanism, but leave it connected electrically. Then lock the car with the key or via the alarm fob / central locking system to activate the full closure system which will activate the sunroof motor to move to its park position. Then rebolt the sunroof motor back in place and you should be good to go.

Just having a tinker on the VR in my lunch break, first thing to greet me is a puddle of water on the driverside footwell, the passengerside is completely dry... anyone got any experince of leaks on the drivers side? the sound deadening on the bulkhead is dry and if I pour water down the sunroof drain pipe it runs out underneath, this is going to slow up getting the interior back in even further :(

Well a watering can later and I can see that the blinkin screen leaks!!! like a siv!

I guess this is a new screen, or the old one refitted? - is there a temporary fix I can do?

Edited by Geeba

Door membranes need checking too.

Rot around the petrol tank filler too but that's more when driving in rain as the tyre flings water up into the arch

Got all the door cards off at the moment, the membranes look mint! not had speakers etc lashed in them and the cards are rot and mould free, just asked the Mrs to pour a watering can over the car whilst I was in it... leaks pretty badly, when I try and pull the trim up I can see that the bonding has failed.. Autowindscreens want £185 to rebond it. Gesssssssss :(

Anyone know how to get the screen trim off? I was thinking a wipe of silicone until the screen is insured...

Thought I'd crack on with a few other jobs whilst I stew on the sunroof and windscreen LOL! :D

I whipped the drivers side door handle off as I know there is an upgrade part for it, I seem to remember it replaces one of the monkey metal parts? - also does anyone know what the cable on the handle does?

Seem to be taking more off than I'm actually putting back on at the moment! :(

Whilst it was in bits I thought I would check the instrument cluster as the needles tick, first thing I notice is there is only 2 bulbs? (Ones with the black plastic twist mount) but there is three holes, am I correct thinking one has dropped out and I need to get another one? Or was it meant to have two only?

There are 2 different wattage types of expensive bulbs in there.. I thought there was a total of 5 in the cluster. ..3 up top and 2 behind the lcd screens

Ahhh ok, cheers Cressa its correct then with 5 in total, it has the look that one had fallen out, but now I look at it I can see how its done.

How expensive are they if the go? :( I need to test they all work I guess....

Cheaper on ebay. I bought from tps and with discount they were about 4 pounds EACH if I remember. I'll look when I'm home in a couple of days at the wattages, if you can wait. Or ask at VW

Why not replace the bulbs with an led strip? Will illuminate the dash much better than bulbs. About £2 from eBay

Why not replace the bulbs with an led strip? Will illuminate the dash much better than bulbs. About £2 from eBay

Hmmm yeah could be worth a look? have you tried them? dont suppose you have link? - I did have a look on ebay but they all seem to be a bit "Max Power" for me :(

Had the windsceen man out - he's coing Monday to cut the screen out ;) - did a great deal on a new one and as this isn't the original VW one and its started to delaminate I thought I might as well stick a new screen in and keep this as a spare. very small amount of rust around the top of the screen which I hope isn't too bad when I get the glass out.. I'll treat it prior to the new screen going in...

Gesss it feel like its really going slow now :( - spent another evening cleaning parts and repairing trim etc

rp6H9sc75KIwUA-TiLMK-DcS2WSQllRr2RUNONJAAPf8JPhQa-A3dWIAGN7DOCVlfuLKMXBnJIn8KCieoG-BLAK7ujf4hC-xK6HGcKG9FfZStahcFLbgWrNE7j3X3IM8CJuH_VezR8QGme6tgoiC45cQzH9xz5i0Hx76LAjhwrqZLyr5_VLPlyDMKNAHwlnmEsSN-fmZpjuJvlK75oM12BtjPpwiruw1zO9lO_UP8OC5ICPITlzoacw7b3gTY28-A-WDCXyAHvcWiiYwICqFhTYqWqYtROB0UPviW_rlCn9AHfOunsxWYTAHVplL1Ena90rTW3QQzFSrQbgRqRRIeJ-l--Un6KjeH5wh2JyQTm8AmhOCetK58peFyafOBDg7IaI0VYxUZNiw8NGsqT_1eiTO2V4uZJ2NP5X8KS7Q23kG864XxY0VQ8r8INXPg4zEc8OmKwW-csDJaVqPkxVT9S_iQpkwZ_0jZBdIfTiXsAF1XQsjptcFaBTUcPqpsr4txbWEJ3qs3rnfmqZjeqlyxM6p8XEsMQt78rUMZsvIyc3ZoYmxc5xWm2xFGBUDJmcJh0D6iP6GpEuXkWICmsz08WpLzQYKbu21w58GWCgYcns4riazDpbi=w1207-h905-no

Clocks have come up mint!

Few bits back from the powdercoaters too:-

Seatbelt rail

cakqSXZwz6lGEwWOHtX7IIT_HidO0ZSmCRWKfMOxzVrtWSbEB8AedM5cw-OLnXH7snlsyhSRkkzBMGpI-EhEUAMyVrQCNjU7zPO__3l6XzPPcwn-90vPx9iDkOJmnTFMLEEIZ7gU0EO3uGg9846x-f9bqsCyJgyG0QMjNX6_J_77wHkExg9bTjv-6_an_dlGur0lfcHaAxjHsJE-ikYUQTAPm6uxLpBfgZ1K2Kz5cYw5ZuT6uy18A6xFrCrOmUKC0N-RBLAlRlACRreKjTIzokoXrO9vmKCsvNXs3d5i_rf7zo9H34XWBZn-6R7yIUeZ4lo-X60p5gPyBA87d3Z3r_haN2R5G-NSF9nQvgzj3pgBNP6tpBJkzCDplsPM9YSW5bmj2PvZosrErHZ8SWm6OWl5VxgOU22RluAvIOzNJs9ntatA5-6whpCHvc-7eM5sStWTxyxhQiUl-ufcue5wIppoxguDipw1qJ3mfxClIj5w99JVhUwjznCidTE8d0dquxRd7_YI3l34EK7Ncm-zA_unKLDRRRmOegaWJIqDnsfMx7XXerh6vLHa0Kzl9V4nBmDtZUeA3JmqWjTmy5dbH3_G8QVMFc5BuldkMZUYF_xSlr5S=w679-h905-no

Radiator support

u17h79qv5zUaj8xXcsBgnXFA7kxXSph_30HU6RLm1yQxAoir2Am8TjEl6dSJZNxWKZp-CydgDOO-Tr5aEpSVG9XFaxaS-BAESM5ElHwpMg2S4i91AGShNY__YYOTtPUyw5hCfoacorGdNxqyyh-3DRRDuOGsszWOWF2SxtnMqtfQOaSFTxm_0i218LsF34wts7FpmV1WjydsiKtztBoGNwrW9YlIMXwIVRTQ7dPzneA69j1D4jL7YkkNNSuAXEKPpeTexeSIMrpBHLklbE69LeBoqjRYv1w2QUrqhzi2lru73qvS1DXE9MwiBgqrqJvmZ6vY583WhF2-eLvVkhH5V6ebN_Vi0nG2tOwwF9Wj_9AnULgtPQ6F7daJVKqrycm4c6kAQd0rVeJmOiM-XLuV7WKM9yBJmA3HnAr1JG0kRigufE56C5giXzcWBPIm5Hvn4t3fO6IIdG0uJF7y_vK30Ym85QeHiNfIpYtqnDDWAxVHm7Xgkf6RIMiMCllshBedH0MHJ71fv--aJaJ62qxwuL5NZfqYigMdJBjiT_sVAA6CfFGh6tzHmoQPxIQrvoU3_7avtTNEbubP7CK1-tjq5z1_aNX6K0xOahCUF2PP9h_YUlvSGpbD=w679-h905-no

Just need it to stop raining now.

** well I guiess the google photos link doesnt work? - anyone know how to do this?

*** sussed it... you have to use the full link... right click on the picture and click "open in new tab" then that is the link... its huge so I'm going to look at another way....

Edited by Geeba

Bucks Powder Coatings

http://www.buckspowdercoating.co.uk/contact-us/

Seems ok - its very local to, just over in Bishopstone ;)

Place is a bit of a mess, but he seemed pretty conscientious about his work, said that the cross memeber hadn't come up to well due to the pitting on it, I said not to worry as it was expected, I'm not going for show room finish, functional and not rotten ;) He's happy to take on small parts and ammounts as well.

Thought it was time for an update... It was all going a bit slow but then a parcel from Lilfuzzer turned up and got things moving again!

beers_1.jpg

Nothing like a beer to put a pep in your step awesome packaging :D

So I set about a few jobs - polished out any scratches with compound on all the tail lights... they all look like new now, all fitted back along with new fast reacting Philips bulbs - I'm going to keep all the old bulbs as they all said "Made In Germany" on them which makes me think they are the original factory fit items ;) nerdy I know but I'm an OE man.

IMG_20170305_141149.jpg

Fitted the lock barrel switch in... with the original screw! made a sacrificial screwdriver for the job... wasn't too bad

IMG_20170311_120317.jpg

In went a brand new windscreen! so the car is now completely water tight and the damp smell has gone.

screen_1.jpg

Wasn't overly sure on the retro green top tint.. but the rest of it matched in well and there was no choice as its all they had. hardly any rust under the screen to which was a relief - I did clean and treat what I did find thou.

So now its dry, time to get the interior back in... the bitumen topped sound proofing was very mouldy and smelly on the passenger side and dusty and smelly on the drivers side, so I set about fixing that.

sound%20de.jpg

I cleaned off the old stuff and used them as a template to cut new from underlay - I've used this before in previous projects.. half felt and half crumb rubber... feels nice compared to the old flat felt and the crumb rubber adds a good layer of sound deadening, I re-used all the factory bitumen after I had cleaned it and glued it to the crumb side of the underlay, again for the factory look..;) lol

underlay_1.jpg

The rears I added some extra felt to recreate the cut-out for the floor-pan

sound1_1.jpg

Speaker grills had gone a bit sun-faded and rusty, so I carefully stripped them down cleaned, de-greased and re-painted them satin black - they look really good and you would never know that they weren't factory... all the clocks and storks are also back in..

speak_1.jpg

I'd been putting the sunroof off for ages... boy was I dreading it, thankfully MZpog came to the rescue and we did a quick deal on an old one he had, unfortunately once I had stripped it down one side had failed, so I whipped out the good side and transferred it to mine.. then had a think about how to repair the other side. did a quick test with a drill and a tap on the old one and happy days!

So moved on to the good one... levelled it so I don't get a drunken tread..

IMG_20170316_135713.jpg

And BINGO! a working sunroof! - I absolutely slavered it in grease so hopefully it will be ok for a while, I've still got to cut the head of the machine screw off so it matches the other side, but as it stands the sunroof adventure is over and its hopefully going back in the car today!

sun1_1.jpg

Right sorry for waffling on... thats about as far as I've got, best look busy before attempting the sunroof.

Edited by Geeba