Geeba

Rescued White VR!

Afternoon

Anyone had any experience with ABS sensors?

Still cant make my mind up

£40 each Delphi?

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/648vg0011

or

£54 each Bosch?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Corrado_2.9_1993/p/car-parts/brake-hydraulics/brakes/abs-sensor/?417440117&1&657aa861956d98ea5723818b9c34eaecf8cd099b&000001

Anyone know what the original equipment was?

Blimey, they are pricey..

I used to buy genuine VW ABS sensors, but they fail so often I thought I might as well try a cheapo ebay one for a tenner.

I've had cheap ones for a few years and they work just fine. They're only magnets at the end of the day.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Corrado-53I-2-9-VR6-Genuine-Intermotor-Front-Left-ABS-Wheel-Speed-Sensor-/361505879251?hash=item542b6df4d3:g:21sAAOSwHoFXrseP

At this price you've not really got much to lose :)

Afternoon

Anyone had any experience with ABS sensors?

Still cant make my mind up

£40 each Delphi?

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/648vg0011

or

£54 each Bosch?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Corrado_2.9_1993/p/car-parts/brake-hydraulics/brakes/abs-sensor/?417440117&1&657aa861956d98ea5723818b9c34eaecf8cd099b&000001

Anyone know what the original equipment was?

pity the staff delphi scheme is currently on hold else i would have asked for a price for you m8

FYI delphi are an OE spec manufaturer & most of the braking system on my valver is delphi as i got it so cheap

they are small parts & thus post-able so i could ring my local motor factors & ask what my staff rate is there for you if you want?

geeba - i rang them anyway m8

i can get the fronts for about £15 each, Febi brand

not sure what postage would be for 4 as they are small but likely heavy ish

geeba - i rang them anyway m8

i can get the fronts for about £15 each, Febi brand

not sure what postage would be for 4 as they are small but likely heavy ish

Wowser! cheers GF!

Thats really kind thank you ;)

I was going to wait for one of Dox's weekend codes as I've got a lot of bits to order, so was going to get them in one hit.

Blimey, they are pricey..

I used to buy genuine VW ABS sensors, but they fail so often I thought I might as well try a cheapo ebay one for a tenner.

I've had cheap ones for a few years and they work just fine. They're only magnets at the end of the day.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Corrado-53I-2-9-VR6-Genuine-Intermotor-Front-Left-ABS-Wheel-Speed-Sensor-/361505879251?hash=item542b6df4d3:g:21sAAOSwHoFXrseP

At this price you've not really got much to lose :)

Hi George!

Hmmm yeah it is tempting to go with the cheap ones especially as I've found out the bore on my block is worn and I need 6 new pistons and a rebore :(

Decisions....

Wowser! cheers GF!

Thats really kind thank you ;)

I was going to wait for one of Dox's weekend codes as I've got a lot of bits to order, so was going to get them in one hit.

no danger fella

let me know if you want me to order them for you & we can arrange details via PM

i might get some myself at that price as my ABS has been intermittent for years but i have kind of negated it now ive put the 4 pots on as they brake so much better than standard :D

Hi George!

Hmmm yeah it is tempting to go with the cheap ones especially as I've found out the bore on my block is worn and I need 6 new pistons and a rebore :(

Decisions....

is the bore leaking pressure or causing you excessive oil consumption?

potential to shelve that very big job for a while if not but then if funds allowed a re-bore to 3.0 litre, fresh hone, forged wossner pistons etc etc would be rather nice lol

is the bore leaking pressure or causing you excessive oil consumption?

potential to shelve that very big job for a while if not but then if funds allowed a re-bore to 3.0 litre, fresh hone, forged wossner pistons etc etc would be rather nice lol

Hi GF

I've only run the car up, never driven it as the gearbox was toast when I got it, so wasn't sure on it, but the engine was out for the auto -> manual conversion, whilst it was out I thought I'd get a Schrick manifold, that lead to a ported head and big valves... I thought then I'd get the block refreshed, first thing the bloke notices was a wear lip at the top of pots 2 & 4, I was expecting to go down the hone, aquablast the pistons and a new set of rings, but the size of the oversized rings was just to much, he did offer to hone it and rebuild it but I thought it best to do it right.

I did think 3.0 litre, but the fella didn't recommend it, apparently its not the wall thickness but the point at where the pots meet at the bottom gets a bit thin, he tried to get a set of the OEM Mahle pistons but there was a 6 week wait from Germany - but he offered me a set of forged Wossners at 82.5mm for the same price and they were in stock, apparently this takes it to a true 2.9? dunno.

His advice was spend the money on getting the block/crank/rods all balanced, polished and lightened and on the head as the block bore gains were minimal... the head and the Schrick are off to the 'man in the shed' for porting and matching.

I think it will be nice.. probably going to match a pair of Schrick cams, ported throttle body etc. to it all as well ;)

Edited by Geeba

Am I right in thinking that the Schrick 268 cams are matched to go with the Schrich VGI manifold?

I'm sort of leaning towards Shimmel 263's

Edited by Geeba

Is it me or is the routing of the loom under the bonnet a complete ball ache!!

re-wrapped the loom... well most of it, just trying to do the bit that picks up from the battery, it's just a freaking mess!

Anyone got any close up pictures of what they've done?

Is it me or is the routing of the loom under the bonnet a complete ball ache!!

re-wrapped the loom... well most of it, just trying to do the bit that picks up from the battery, it's just a freaking mess!

Anyone got any close up pictures of what they've done?

This is what I'm trying to sort out.. it's doing my OCD no favours I can tell you! ce58f9878f52dacd1bbbb8cad222388b.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Haha, been in your shoes so I know your pain! Once everything is back in the bay it should all look a bit tidier. It just looks like a complete snakes wedding when it's all over the place and loose like that. Good luck with it, it'll come good I'm sure! :thumbleft:

cheers Sean

It's dire! I was close to cutting it and re-routing it, so I packed up for the evening and walked away from it...

I need to order a new alternator as well as the original Bosch unit is looking pretty sorry for itself and the main bolted contact wont undo... it just spins.

I cant find a Bosch replacement, the closest I can find to a premium product is Lucas... I know this is not the Lucas company of old, but has anyone had any experience with them?

Eurocarparts stock them.

I got myself a 120A alternator from TPSa year ago. They gave me a good deal so I was happy with the price. Worth a try maybe..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I did have a look on their site Cressa... they dont seem to list parts for the Corrado anymore? or am I looking at the wrong bit? If I put my reg in all they list is wiperblades and screen wash :(

Was it a Bosch item? exchange or outright?

Get one from a mk4 4mo. The power output is greater so it's like a little turbine and fires right up! Direct fit too. GloucesterOx recommended it to me after Vince recommended it to him. Much more about and probably cheaper too.

The mk4 does sound a good idea though. Mine was exchange767d9a0ecec8aecb35c738a4c4b01102.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cheers chaps! - I'm going to give the 4mo one a blast as they have stock at euro car parts, bosch and 50% off till midnight.

Now do I risk the V5 Golf Starter motor whilst its on offer too... hmmmmm

Get one from a mk4 4mo. The power output is greater so it's like a little turbine and fires right up! Direct fit too. GloucesterOx recommended it to me after Vince recommended it to him. Much more about and probably cheaper too.

Good to know, cheers fellas

Right just picked this up from Euro

It is definitely a Bosch item, the bolt locations are exactly the same, it looks like a modern alternator but.... the plug for the ignition/switch is different, this doesn't bother me as I will simply buy one and replace the older style one.. but if people were expecting a direct drop in replacement, its not but a very simple upgrade.

I'll try and get some pictures.

Right just picked this up from Euro

It is definitely a Bosch item, the bolt locations are exactly the same, it looks like a modern alternator but.... the plug for the ignition/switch is different, this doesn't bother me as I will simply buy one and replace the older style one.. but if people were expecting a direct drop in replacement, its not but a very simple upgrade.

I'll try and get some pictures.

be interested to see how you get on with this.