Geeba

Rescued White VR!

Ok. Do a fluid flush a couple of times. Just change the filter once at the beginning and then at the end.

Once you're happy with that use a friction modifier and check the gearshifts. Scan and check the codes to see if the valve block is ok.

Hi Fla, I think it's going to be throwing cash away... It's failed twice for the previous owner, the second time was when he parked it up for 4 year's.. he sourced a spare box which I've had in the garage, but it's not the right one even though it's a VR6 Golf one.

I'm thinking it's manual time

Based on that you're probably right. When you do the swop make sure you get all the bits from the same donor car. It's not too difficult just a bit to e consuming. If you take the plunge then change the clutch, new crank seal, chains guides and tensioners - the car will then be bulletproof for 100k more miles.

Based on that you're probably right. When you do the swop make sure you get all the bits from the same donor car. It's not too difficult just a bit to e consuming. If you take the plunge then change the clutch, new crank seal, chains guides and tensioners - the car will then be bulletproof for 100k more miles.

Sounds a good plan.

Hi Fla, I'm not sure I can get all the bit from the same donor car :( - I'm speaking to Lilfuzzer at the moment about a gearbox, pedal box and a few other parts, I'm not aware of cars being broken in my area except for eBay breakers that are asking eye watering amounts of cash for broken parts...

Are there any gotchas you can remember? - I don't suppose you can remember a rough list of parts needed?

Pedal box

Gearbox

Linkage/cable

Interior trim

Clutch

Flywheel

Is it an engine out?

Do I need to buy any special nuts/bolts/clips etc?

So definitely worth doing the chain tensioners and crank seal at the same time? any pointers on where to get the parts? are many available from the Main Stealers?

I'm just very dubious about throwing much in the way of cash at the auto, like Dox said I think the car will appeal more if I decide to sell it as a manual, the story I was told when I got the car is that the heat exchange leaked water into the gearbox, the previous owner had the ATF flushed and a new exchanger fitted, it appeared to be ok but then it happened again and all drive was lost - I dropped the ATF yesterday and it does have a bit of a burnt whiff about it as well as being very dark in color....

Quotes so far for getting the autobox done range from 1200 to 1500 if I get the car to them and 900 to 1000 if I drop the box over... so I'm just thinking its not really sensible... :(

Hi Fla, I'm not sure I can get all the bit from the same donor car :( - I'm speaking to Lilfuzzer at the moment about a gearbox, pedal box and a few other parts, I'm not aware of cars being broken in my area except for eBay breakers that are asking eye watering amounts of cash for broken parts...

Are there any gotchas you can remember? - I don't suppose you can remember a rough list of parts needed?

Pedal box

Gearbox

Linkage/cable

Interior trim

Clutch

Flywheel

Is it an engine out?

Do I need to buy any special nuts/bolts/clips etc?

So definitely worth doing the chain tensioners and crank seal at the same time? any pointers on where to get the parts? are many available from the Main Stealers?

I'm just very dubious about throwing much in the way of cash at the auto, like Dox said I think the car will appeal more if I decide to sell it as a manual, the story I was told when I got the car is that the heat exchange leaked water into the gearbox, the previous owner had the ATF flushed and a new exchanger fitted, it appeared to be ok but then it happened again and all drive was lost - I dropped the ATF yesterday and it does have a bit of a burnt whiff about it as well as being very dark in color....

Quotes so far for getting the autobox done range from 1200 to 1500 if I get the car to them and 900 to 1000 if I drop the box over... so I'm just thinking its not really sensible... :(

Drive shafts

Clutch hydraulics

gear lever and cables

centre console

Can you buy a breaker between a few members on here? My bro did that years ago, 3 mates shared a breaker between themselves and sold any other bits on for a 3 way split

Drive shafts

Clutch hydraulics

gear lever and cables

centre console

Can you buy a breaker between a few members on here? My bro did that years ago, 3 mates shared a breaker between themselves and sold any other bits on for a 3 way split

Would be nice, but I have no way of storing one... are the drive shafts different too? wowser.... :(

Would be nice, but I have no way of storing one... are the drive shafts different too? wowser.... :(

One of the others may have storeage?

The bits you want most others don't, you running gear, 2 wants engine, 3 wants interior / exterior bits etc then split the rest or sell and split 3 ways

Driveshafts are the same. Clutch cylinder on the non-vr's are different.

- rear gearbox mount arm

- see if you can get the wiring for the reverse lighton tbe gearbox

- new clutch bolts

- top rad hoses (can't remember if you need a bottom hose - ill check when i get back)

Yes engine out job.

Driveshafts are the same. Clutch cylinder on the non-vr's are different.

- rear gearbox mount arm

- see if you can get the wiring for the reverse lighton tbe gearbox

- new clutch bolts

- top rad hoses (can't remember if you need a bottom hose - ill check when i get back)

Yes engine out job.

Cheers Fla,

I dont suppose you did a 'how too' when you did yours did you? or make a list of all the parts?

I did have a look on your car thread but the pictures appear to be missing...

out of interest did you change your log-book?

Edited by Geeba

One of the others may have storeage?

The bits you want most others don't, you running gear, 2 wants engine, 3 wants interior / exterior bits etc then split the rest or sell and split 3 ways

I suppose its worth a shot... I've just had a squiz through ebay and theres no breakers at the moment.... anyone know of one being broken?

What's the budget ? Storm on gumtree with 88k on, autobox for 2k. But I guess at that price might as well get yours fixed.

Sometimes asm thame have a corrado on their webpage, but nothing today.

What's the budget ? Storm on gumtree with 88k on, autobox for 2k. But I guess at that price might as well get yours fixed.

Sometimes asm thame have a corrado on their webpage, but nothing today.

Think the plan is to get away from the auto box... yeah I could throw a grand at this one and get it fixed, I think I can get a manual box in and working for less than that... my biggest concern is its changed it into a major job rather thana fix :(

Copart sell damage repairable Cat C / D and break only Cat B, it might be worth checking them out, its auction based and very health and safety conscious, they load you, hi vis on site etc so don't expect to drive it away etc

https://www.copart.co.uk/

Fla - do you have to drop the steering coloum? I was reading back over Storm's guide and in the parts list is this:-

New lost head bolts for the steering column £5

Also did you use a new flywheel?

Just looking at getting my list together... can anyone think of anything else?

Need from donor car/spares:-

Gearbox

Flywheel

Rear gearbox mount

Reverse switch

Starter motor

Pedal Box assembly

Shifter box

Shifter cable

Clutch master Cylinder

Clutch slave cylinder

Hydraulic lines

Slave cylinder mounting bracket

Interior trim/boot/shift knob

New:-

Clutch assembly including release bearing

Flywheel bolts

Radiator

Hoses

Fluids and ancillaries

Steering column bolts

Clutch release fork, best to swap it out of your donor box as they can crack/snap. Mine did and I've read about a few doing the same

Clutch release fork, best to swap it out of your donor box as they can crack/snap. Mine did and I've read about a few doing the same

Ahhh ok - are they still available new?

Cheers all - Chris is now on the case ;) fingers crossed - if anyone thinks of anything else I'd really appreciate a heads up.... or if they're passing my way and want to lift a 6 pot out of the front of the car I'd appreciate that to! LOL! :D