corrado_sunderland

Advice on rust treatment for my poor 205 Gti

Well life has been nothing but a c word to me the past few years luck wise (i know people suffer far worse) and what ive noticed this morning just about makes me devastated.

I have had my 205 ever since i sold the c and it has sat for 3 years now due to ****ty luck after ****ty luck after ****ty luck.

First i was ripped on a paint job that was awful, then the door lock stuck and the door opened onto my neighbors car thus wrecking the brand new red trim and door plastic, then i was laid off and had to use the restore money to pay bills, then the new job paid peanuts, then we were burgled and they stole the keys for it and so on and on and on. The end result is my gti has sat for a few years now with 3k worth of bits in the garage ready for it and no funds to get it going.

This is why i laugh at folk on here who said times are not hard, we have struggled to afford to eat the past few years....anyway i waffle in misery.

The top and bottom of all of this is that the car needs some form of treatment to at least protect it more under the cover for now as i noticed today the sill in rotten where water has been draining near the rear wheel. It devastating seeing this on car that was immaculate a few years back. I know it wont stop the rot but im hoping it will prevent it spreading as its already one sill down if you dont like patching and the car was literally totally mint when i first had to take it off the road a few years back. Its been around me for years as 2 other people i knew owned it and the thought of it rotting due to my bad luck makes me sick but the thought of selling it makes me think im giving up the one thing i havent had to sell just to stay afloat. The are doing 38k now fully restored :(

It has a good breathable cover for now and i cant use a carcoon sadly as the little **** bags who burgled us last time would only slash it open. We are stuck waiting for a new house on sale of this and it means for now i am garage less.

Whats a good cheap protection recommendation for now then from your experiences? And any suggestions i may not have thought of?

There is so many brands and there all hit and miss.

Thanks in advance and peace

Mick

Edited by corrado_sunderland

The Peugeots were pretty good frankly, they rarely rusted, at least not until well into old age, or if they had been abused. 205 GTis were awesome cars, just utterly exhilarating to drive, much more brutal than our "grown up" VWs.

I know the feeling of guilt you have towards a classic car that you feel you have let down with simple neglect, but honestly it's just a car and you do your best and you have to move on. If it has good underpinnings it will be worthy to be restored again in future.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Judging by the second hand prices, here in Rome at least, they go for big money now, even ****ters.

Great car to look at, especially those 15" alloys! Not like the crappy 13" shopping trolley wheels fitted to the uno turbos and Renault 5 gt turbos of the same era.

Thanks for the replies and kind words

Its a dam good one for sure.New rebuilt axle still like new, the last new airflow meter in the uk is on it too as they are no longer made and i got the last stock before the supplier went under, piles of new parts. Its just sadly picked up a bit of rot literally exclusively where water is draining from it :(

I was planning to grind it back and prep it for winter but i ended up been able to poke a hole in the sill bottom.

Any recommended products to try as a temp protection then? im lookimg for a storage area inside now as a temp solution.

Products made by POR are very good, expensive though. Good old Waxoil springs to mind too.

Now will you PLEASE slap a turbo on that 205??

**** no, a turbo on one of those things and you'll be dead in a week..! The usual steps: rust killer stuff liberally applied followed by waxoil everywhere. There's nothing much better out there (after all metal has been rusting for a long time, this is not a new issue!).

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

If its just a temporary fix to slow the rust down until the work is carried out properly you cant beat oil.. ether a can of WD40 or preferably Duck Oil as its slightly thicker and more oily - spray it inside double skinned areas and along and inside sills... or dilute engine oil with a little paraffin and use a pump trigger spray to get it where you need it.

Once the car is in storage and dry, strip it out and replace rusty sections with proper repair panels, use a weld-thru zinc type primer prior to welding up and then coat liberally in Dinitrol - waxoly is ok but if not applied well it creates places for water to actually sit.

Thanks for the brand recommendations, that is exactly what i needed.

I was thinking to myself earlier i should start a funding campaign to get her restored. It seems alot of people do these days and id happily make a honorary plaque for contributors if it got the old girl finished again.

ACF 50 is really good stuff. I use it on my motor bike to keep corrosion at bay. Check out the reviews on the web.

Another vote for ACF50 here, after all a product developed to inhibit corrosion in aeroplanes must be half decent???

Another vote for ACF50 here, after all a product developed to inhibit corrosion in aeroplanes must be half decent???

Firstly, good luck with the 205 - great car.

Just had a look for ACF50, there seems to be a few different products, sprays and brush on of varying sizes.

* Can anyone tell me what ACF50 product works best?

* Where on the car they are using it (and not using it)?

* Where is the cheapest place to buy it?

Thanks, James

Not sure which product is the best as I have only used the aerosol http://www.flyingshop.com/acf-50-aerosol-13oz/

So far I have used it on my bike and on the brake lines of my Golf and Corrado. For the past few years the Golf had an MOT advisory for lightly corroded brake lines. No advisory this year after using ACF 50.

I purchased it from Ebay as it worked out cheaper than buying locally.

I'm restoring my 205 GTI at the moment and I'm using a Bilt-Hamber Deox gel to treat any areas of rust that are not bad enough to be needing patched. The stuff is brilliant. You basically remove most of the rust with a wire wheel first then coat it in the gel and cover with cling film. After 24hrs the gel has turned black and when you remove it your left with clean metal. I'm sure I've got some photos on a hard drive of areas that I've already done, I'll get some uploaded later to let you have a look.

Sorry for the late replies everyone.

Since i was last on here we have aquired a mk2 scirocco and a Lwb Suzuki sj which has became a welding pit haha.

Ill get some pictures of the Gti soon.

After alot of research i ended up going with Jenolite for now. It seems they all do the same job and its all about how you seal the area afterwards. bilt hammer seems a good one too.

I have a full por15 set too a neighbor gave me too but i dont like the idea of washing bare metal with water. The jenolite has worked ok so far on some test areas though.

With any treatment you do i think its all about cleaning the area first well, adding two coats and making sure its sealed from the elements afterwards.

Mick

Not sure which product is the best as I have only used the aerosol http://www.flyingshop.com/acf-50-aerosol-13oz/

So far I have used it on my bike and on the brake lines of my Golf and Corrado. For the past few years the Golf had an MOT advisory for lightly corroded brake lines. No advisory this year after using ACF 50.

I purchased it from Ebay as it worked out cheaper than buying locally.

Is this just sprayed on to brake lines and unions or do you need to clean the surface first? Some of the unions are pretty awkward to get to on the driveway!

Is this just sprayed on to brake lines and unions or do you need to clean the surface first? Some of the unions are pretty awkward to get to on the driveway!

From what I've read and seen on YouTube,

this ACF 50 was designed to be used on electrical items and wiring, in the Aviation Industry as it repels moisture and lasts a total of 12 to 18 months before it needs reapplying.

Before you apply it the areas have to be 100% spotless, or you'll be simply spraying over dirt.

Looks like loads of people are using it on their motorbike plastics, the main frame, wiring, wheels.

Note!

But apparently don't apply it to your motorbike handlebars or foot pegs or tyres as it's very slippery.

Si

Did a complete shell dip in Jenolite solution on mine before the welding repairs over 2 years later without any oxidising in meantime when just sheeted over outdoors.

I do have a vast quantity of good used & New surplus parts for the 205 GTI 1.6 if you need any, just PM me and will send photos.

Edited by GrahamV