1200 bandit

What job do you have

I was chatting with my mechanic yesterday. He’s retraining in leak detection which gave me some confidence it would be possible to eventually change direction once the mortagage is paid etc.

He’s only retraining as he’s a mobile VAG mechanic based in east London and has found since the government plans to stop older cars driving in London his business has begun to take a down turn as people turn to leasing new motors. He fears another scrappage scheme will take what is left of his business and he’s also going to be forced to buy a Euro 6 van at a cost of 12k plus (people won’t pay 12.5 on top of say diagnostics at 40 quid) Something a self employed trader can’t really do.

Must be the same across all trades in London and whilst I get the environment I think it’s ironic killing off decent useable cars only to go and pollute 10 times more than those cars ever would by building new cars!

Well said this pollution charge has effects that far outreach just a fee to travel into this area. When they bring it into Birmingham It will have a huge effect on retail sales. Also there are still many industrial manufacturing premises in the charge zone in Birmingham , so if a HGV needs to collect/ deliver apparently £100 , so say 10 deliveries a day, factory owner can't be arsed to move as sales are not great, might as well shut up shop, 50 people loose jobs.

Also this is some more trouble brewing off the nanny state controling your speed if a new car from 2022.

Edited by Keyo

Ha funny you should mention the gps/speed control - we chatted about that too. People will just completely disengage from driving and the roads will become even more dangerous. Speed isn’t always the killer, it’s people not paying attention.

Agree re: other cities where people will suffer. What is the point, I need to research but I thought most of the green house gases that is driving this change came from the farming industry and not the trader in his 15 year old van or worker across all industries making ends meet.

Probs going a little off topic now.

I have moved around a fair bit with work. Originally trained up to be a Cocktail Bartender whilst at Uni, then managed city centre bars and clubs around UK. Next became an Estate Agent in prime London banker postcodes, before managing a couple of provincial offices. For the last 10 years or so have been a Civil Servant, aside from a brief interlude when I managed my local country pub/restaurant. Pretty envious of some of the technical skills you other people have.

Hi chaps!

I am a hardware engineer working as support engineer in Motorsport industry. More than half of the F1 grid gets support from us. It is quite interesting job and a bit stressful :D

I forgot to mention the continuous non-paid overtime and the customer calls with emergency issues to tackle now (even if your leaving the office with your coat in the hands... even if you are on holidays and you are in a meeting with family and friends...)

I have been thinking to go back to audio industry where I was in an office with full product cycle design and with no customer interaction at all...

Edited by TOLEDOVR6

I work for a company that manufactures covers for furniture, industrial machines, etc. We also produce custom made covers, which means that the client can order a cover of any size and shape needed. We can produce covers with any characteristics given. The company is called Alcocovers.com. I love my job very much and I guarantee that the products we produce are of a very good quality.

Time served tool maker, maintenence engineer and aerospace and marine engineering.

I have left engineering now as the moneys crap for the health risk and you have no security so what's the point.

I am currently in the process of setting up a restoration and abrasive blasting business so i will definitely be useful to folk on here long term up north at least

:)

I work for a company that manufactures covers for furniture, industrial machines, etc. We also produce custom made covers, which means that the client can order a cover of any size and shape needed. We can produce covers with any characteristics given. The company is called Alcocovers.com. I love my job very much and I guarantee that the products we produce are of a very good quality.

So you can make a cover to fit a corrado (or any car) probably and will not scratch or damage the paint,

So you can make a cover to fit a corrado (or any car) probably and will not scratch or damage the paint,

That's the only reason this user joined the forum.

Ha ha - well, I am currently a network architect, and have worked in IT networks and security for nearly 20 years. Before that I was a chef, and before that a musician. None of these really help in running a Corrado...

That’s not nice as l don’t have a corrado now.so don’t need any kind of cover

That’s not nice as l don’t have a corrado now.so don’t need any kind of cover

Not you bandit Ginhears.

Another Engineer here - I look after Railway bridges in the North of England. Probably not much use to other forum members, but the things I've learned on car maintenance can also be applied to metallic structures!

Been doing commercial vehicle body building for about 12 years prior to that vehicle mechanic (I hate the term technician)

I have a few railway bridges by me which get hit by anything as one bridge is down to one track

Happens an awful lot unfortunately, I'm on the Eastern side of thy UK, but we've just replaced one in the Yorkshire moors that took a hell of a whack last Match from a bin lorry, and bent the track out of alignment....

I use to do the scaffolding in the Midlands back in the 90s for when a car had driven over a bridge or the wall had been damaged and had to build a beam bridge scaffold over the track and tie everything down, you want to feel the force of a train coming under the scaffolding once scaffolding was completed and track open again. Most of the work were nights hell of a job.

Edited by Keyo

Not sure if I commented on this when this thread was started?.

I do plastering and damp proofing. It’s a hard job but someone has to do it .

Trained and worked as systems engineer back in the day before the role got chopped up and turned into a production line job. Took a career break for several years to look after the kids, then worked in car finance before moving back into IT....fast forward several years now work back in IT but IT Security

Been doing commercial vehicle body building for about 12 years prior to that vehicle mechanic (I hate the term technician)

Out of interest, Manchester body building... Cartwrights by any chance?