ChrisL

Moonlight Blue VR6

Thought I’d share a small update from a few weeks ago. Engine out and ready to start cleaning.

subframe, radiator support, driveshafts etc. all gone for blasting and painting.

all new genuine bolts and bushes ordered, lemforder ball joints, drop links sorted too.

cleaning starts next week…..

64215A07-1EAF-4B8D-90B2-3FDF478EF105.jpeg

3A401744-7A36-4175-8A94-D63CE923FEC3.jpeg

D0112F0A-AA24-4543-A370-5A8F26B91CAD.jpeg

So what’s the plan with the engine ? Clean and re-install or a deeper dive ?

Edited by James.

11 minutes ago, James. said:

So what’s the plan with the engine ? Clean and re-install or a deeper dive ?

Engine will have the chains done, paint the block etc. would like cams but we’ll see.

18 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Engine will have the chains done, paint the block etc. would like cams but we’ll see.

your garage is just heaven m8 😄

3 hours ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

your garage is just heaven m8 😄

Thanks, better once I get it cleaned out.

3A277E98-7131-412C-9300-51142A347BA2.jpeg

24D2D27B-953C-4A9C-B0E0-88C98AC5A8CB.jpeg

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Thanks, better once I get it cleaned out.

3A277E98-7131-412C-9300-51142A347BA2.jpeg

24D2D27B-953C-4A9C-B0E0-88C98AC5A8CB.jpeg

out of interest does the circular floor part rotate independently?

10 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

out of interest does the circular floor part rotate independently?

Yes, it’s a turntable to spin the car round on 👍

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Yes, it’s a turntable to spin the car round on 👍

wow that really is awesome!!

if only i had the space & money for a garage like that lol

love the way you have big windows looking out onto the garden too - reminds me of Chris Evans show room for his ferrari's 

4 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

wow that really is awesome!!

if only i had the space & money for a garage like that lol

love the way you have big windows looking out onto the garden too - reminds me of Chris Evans show room for his ferrari's 

Thanks mate. I put In a 4m wide window so I could see the corrado from the kitchen.

CB0AA1AE-2A14-4616-AF5B-EAE3BCAD97A7.png

30 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Thanks mate. I put In a 4m wide window so I could see the corrado from the kitchen.

CB0AA1AE-2A14-4616-AF5B-EAE3BCAD97A7.png

honestly m8 WOW!!

what a brilliant setup!  if only i could get a car down the side of my house 😞

planning wouldnt let me build a garage on the huge front drive i have as it is in front of the parity line but due to the layout of the plot i cant get a car down the side

What a work space. 
The trick will be to not fill it with Corrado spares and things the mrs doesn’t want in the house. 

Cheers all, the garage is brilliant but but because I have it, I’m not allowed to keep any parts in the house anymore.

52 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Cheers all, the garage is brilliant but but because I have it, I’m not allowed to keep any parts in the house anymore.

🤣🤣🤣

So true. Hard to complain about that one tho 😁

Simple answer is to move into the garage!

God, I wish I had that when rebuilding my engine, lots of light, plenty of space and I bet it's fully heated as well.

Just noticed it looks like you've got a cover on the windscreen wiper motor?

7 minutes ago, oneohtwo said:

Simple answer is to move into the garage!

God, I wish I had that when rebuilding my engine, lots of light, plenty of space and I bet it's fully heated as well.

Just noticed it looks like you've got a cover on the windscreen wiper motor?

🤣 yes might move in there…

unfortunately it’s not heated but it’s fully insulated so not cold in there.

yes it’s got a cover, think its from a Passat but will be coming off soon.

What products/techniques are you using to clean up that grit mixed in with the wax? I tried gunk mixed with apc but still had the scrape with plastic tools. Is there a miracle way to clean this up... or is that wishful thinking.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Driver’s side cleaned up well Chris, but like most, it looks like there is some minor corrosion on the passenger’s side. Are you planning to paint it? If so, do you use a 2k aerosol, and where do you get yours. The paint repair you did on the rear panel looked impressive.

On 12/10/2022 at 9:29 PM, MJA said:

What products/techniques are you using to clean up that grit mixed in with the wax? I tried gunk mixed with apc but still had the scrape with plastic tools. Is there a miracle way to clean this up... or is that wishful thinking.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I’m sure Chris will reveal his method, but when I did this on my car, I used a wallpaper steamer with a nozzle attachment to soften the wax, and then wiped off with a cloth. I then used a degreaser and a cloth to remove the remainder. You can keep going with panel wipe if necessary, but I was happy to just reapply some fresh clear wax.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 9:06 PM, Corroda said:

Driver’s side cleaned up well Chris, but like most, it looks like there is some minor corrosion on the passenger’s side. Are you planning to paint it? If so, do you use a 2k aerosol, and where do you get yours. The paint repair you did on the rear panel looked impressive.

Just on 2K aerosols, avoid HB Body C496 clear coat. I used this on my slam panel and radiator support, and it now looks awful. Initial finish was very good, but apparently it just didn't harden, and has reacted with all the dirty water that gets flicked up onto that area from inside the engine bay, so much so that the stains are now embedded into the clear coat. In one area it looks like cracked wax, and overall it has since orange pealed really badly. It dissolved as soon as it came in contact with a splash of petrol and was so soft there are more chips on the bit below the headlights and grill than before I repainted it.

I think it may now be hardened, and I'll have to tackle all the problems in the summer but it's deeply frustrating. I wish I had seen the reviews online before I bought several cans of the stuff as I am not the only one that has had this issue.

7 hours ago, oneohtwo said:

Just on 2K aerosols, avoid HB Body C496 clear coat. I used this on my slam panel and radiator support, and it now looks awful. Initial finish was very good, but apparently it just didn't harden, and has reacted with all the dirty water that gets flicked up onto that area from inside the engine bay, so much so that the stains are now embedded into the clear coat. In one area it looks like cracked wax, and overall it has since orange pealed really badly. It dissolved as soon as it came in contact with a splash of petrol and was so soft there are more chips on the bit below the headlights and grill than before I repainted it.

I think it may now be hardened, and I'll have to tackle all the problems in the summer but it's deeply frustrating. I wish I had seen the reviews online before I bought several cans of the stuff as I am not the only one that has had this issue.

Sorry to hear that. It’s listed as Amazon’s choice, so an easy mistake to make. I was thinking of going to Riolett Custom Aerosols. Anyone have experience of using them?

On 12/12/2022 at 9:12 PM, Corroda said:

I’m sure Chris will reveal his method, but when I did this on my car, I used a wallpaper steamer with a nozzle attachment to soften the wax, and then wiped off with a cloth. I then used a degreaser and a cloth to remove the remainder. You can keep going with panel wipe if necessary, but I was happy to just reapply some fresh clear wax.

I used white spirit and a toothbrush then a plastic scraper to lever up the wax stuff.

I then gave it a polish but think I’m going to get an extension for my machine polisher and a small polishing pad so I can give it a good polish.

im sure I used the HB body clear coat on the rear and it seems fine. Hard enough to wet flat and machine polish, time will tell I guess…..

I used HB 496 as well on a repair on the mk3 16v - blended into the panel below the yellow line. Black side trim was removed before painting and masked off whilst polishing after wet and dry.

In hindsight and on talking to other painters it would be better to get a clear that has a 2 part mix but as I think can be seen in the picture the repair worked well regardless.

Before pic as well to illustrate area painted.

As you can see above the yellow line the whole car needs a good machine polish.

Screenshot 2022-12-14 191158.png

20211005_165000.jpg

20211121_192518.jpg