ChrisL

Moonlight Blue VR6

Keen to hear if they’ll do a gear knob (also need the handbrake handle). Let us know what they say.

Wheel looks brill 😎

15 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Yes Royal Steering Wheels. I’m waiting for them to tell me if they can do a gearknob, they didn’t want to do mine as they said it was too good to risk. I have a spare one with the leather removed to send them.

That’s good to know, I’ll wait and see what the outcome is as mine is getting tired. 👍

Small update. Refurbished the servo and had the master cylinder done at Past Parts. I got some new stickers for them so it’s back original.

all assembled and I’m pretty pleased. Shame the engine covers it all when it’s done.

IMG_7224.jpeg

IMG_7225.jpeg

IMG_7425.jpeg

IMG_7535.jpeg

IMG_7580.jpeg

IMG_7735.jpeg

Hi, 

Can I ask where did you get the decals / stickers from ?

I have overhauled my original servo and was going to try to re-apply my original ATE Blue sticker, I also have a brand new OEM Master Cylinder bought from VW 10+ years ago, and that had no sticker..

I could not find these correct number ones on line.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, twinbeltg60 said:

Hi, 

Can I ask where did you get the decals / stickers from ?

I have overhauled my original servo and was going to try to re-apply my original ATE Blue sticker, I also have a brand new OEM Master Cylinder bought from VW 10+ years ago, and that had no sticker..

I could not find these correct number ones on line.

Thanks.

The stickers are from a company called OEM car stickers. They do a range of original design stickers but for mine I sent him a photo and dimensions of the stickers I wanted and he made to suit.

Hi, 

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Hmmm, well if these are from OEM+ , run by a guy called "Darko" from Macedonia, then I will forget about it, i dealt with him before, of about 6 stickers on his regular website 4 were wrong shade, or wrong size, or wrong font, and just looked odd.

When I queried this he promised to send replacements, but ultimately never did, I took him off my christmass card list.

So thanks , I will go ahead with my originals.

Thanks.

Just to keep the updates coming.

heater matrix all sorted and dash back in along with the re-trimmed steering wheel and new gearknob.

IMG_8461.jpeg

IMG_8370.jpeg

Edited by ChrisL

Next job on the list, sort the 3 trims under the windscreen as they are damaged and faded. Got a new drivers side piece to replace the damaged one and got all new clips and inserts so no more sealant to hold them in place.

IMG_8484.jpeg

IMG_8485.jpeg

IMG_8486.jpeg

I'd strongly recommend opting for a one piece cover - something like the SWG motorsport one. Easier to put on and remove if you need to do work underneath the scuttle or replace the scren - the 3 piece trim with the clips is very hard to get on or off without damage to the clips or the trim, hence there's often sealant underneath, which is a right pain to remove. I guess if you want to keep it all original, it's worth the hassle. Did you end up buying some of the 3D printed clips? The trim itself is long NLA as far as I know.

6 minutes ago, fendervg said:

I'd strongly recommend opting for a one piece cover - something like the SWG motorsport one. Easier to put on and remove if you need to do work underneath the scuttle or replace the scren - the 3 piece trim with the clips is very hard to get on or off without damage to the clips or the trim, hence there's often sealant underneath, which is a right pain to remove. I guess if you want to keep it all original, it's worth the hassle. Did you end up buying some of the 3D printed clips? The trim itself is long NLA as far as I know.

I am trying to keep it as original as I can so need to stick with the 3 piece trims.

the clips and inserts that fasten the trims are available from VW Classic parts now so bought those. I’ve also bought new genuine metal clips that fasten the fronts of the trims.

unfortunately the 3 pieces aren’t available new so going to try and get mine back to the black finish.

Wurth sell black plastic dye and trim restorer that comes in a big tub (a bit like grease) and this has always worked pretty well for me - a thorough wash and then a wipe down with isopropyl alcohol has usually worked for me before applying the restorer.

I went for the SWG in satin black, and think it works great - but I've kept my old trims along with new replacement clips in case I ever want to go back as well. Had a complete nightmare getting them off.

3 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Wurth sell black plastic dye and trim restorer that comes in a big tub (a bit like grease) and this has always worked pretty well for me - a thorough wash and then a wipe down with isopropyl alcohol has usually worked for me before applying the restorer.

I went for the SWG in satin black, and think it works great - but I've kept my old trims along with new replacement clips in case I ever want to go back as well. Had a complete nightmare getting them off.

I’ll look into the Wurth stuff thanks.

mine are bonded on so dreading taking them off.

A really fexible and sharp putty knife can work, if you get it in at the top - just be really careful not to put any pressure at all on the windscreen,  bearing in mind that the bottom of the screen will be hidden under the top of the trim.

If you can thread it through to the other side, a thin guitar string or some cheese wire could work too.

1 hour ago, fendervg said:

A really fexible and sharp putty knife can work, if you get it in at the top - just be really careful not to put any pressure at all on the windscreen,  bearing in mind that the bottom of the screen will be hidden under the top of the trim.

If you can thread it through to the other side, a thin guitar string or some cheese wire could work too.

I did think of some fishing wire or something like that 👍

Got the trim pieces off and they have been stuck on with sealant. 
I’ve managed to scrape the sealant off but it’s damaged the paint so looks like this now needs flatting down and spraying.

why is nothing simple and one job leads to multiple others 😁

IMG_8547.jpeg

IMG_8548.jpeg

IMG_8549.jpeg

I got some of the replacement white clips from classic parts Germany a few years ago, but may be worth a look, as they may still be available. 

Two steps forward, and one step back

(it’s the Corrado dance). 🙂

1 hour ago, James. said:

I got some of the replacement white clips from classic parts Germany a few years ago, but may be worth a look, as they may still be available. 

Two steps forward, and one step back

(it’s the Corrado dance). 🙂

They are still available and so are the little inserts. Bought them and new screws that fit at the ends too.

yes seems to be one forward two backwards 🤣

Oh that brings back memories.  I think every window fitter must have been taught that method. I'm pretty sure you will have soon made the scuttle better than new again. Is it 9 or10 of the clips that are needed, I cant remember? 

Oh that brings back memories.  I think every window fitter must have been taught that method. I'm pretty sure you will have soon made the scuttle better than new again. Is it 9 or10 of the clips that are needed, I cant remember? 

They all seem to be like that - I’m beginning to suspect it may even be a trick they learned in the factory…..

Reason I say this is I’ve seen a good few cars where the etchings and codes on the windscreen matched all the windows, so still original, and there was still silicon used.

Where did you get the two mounting screws? Was it Classic Parts?

6 hours ago, Cressa said:

Im sure they must have. Was a bit of a twitchy moment pulling them off but all ok.

think it’s 11 of the clips 👍

32 minutes ago, fendervg said:

They all seem to be like that - I’m beginning to suspect it may even be a trick they learned in the factory…..

Reason I say this is I’ve seen a good few cars where the etchings and codes on the windscreen matched all the windows, so still original, and there was still silicon used.

Where did you get the two mounting screws? Was it Classic Parts?

Got the 2 screws and washers from LLL parts.

hoping the new screws and clips hold it all In place properly

Scuttle painted, was going to start re-assembly but think I’ll take the wiper assembly off now for cleaning

IMG_8717.jpeg

All back together with all new clips and new wiper arm caps. Also re-plated the wiper linkage arm 

IMG_8922.jpeg

IMG_8921.jpeg

IMG_8925.png

Edited by ChrisL