jprocter

No spark 2 & 5

Hi,

I have an issue where I don’t get spark on cylinder 2 & 5.

Now the car hasn’t run for a while and various other issues, so I put on a new coilpack... it’s had running issues with both coil packs but I’m not sure if the same issue!

I checked where the wire that powers 2/5 and it goes to pin 54 on the Ecu.... with ignition on I get 9.5v to that wire... is this correct??

Before I buy another coilpack I want to make sure I haven’t got a wiring issue!

Many Thanks.

Just to check, have you taken the leads out when the car is running to see if there is a spark at the plug? Have you also checked keeping the lead without a plug near to the head to see if you get a spark at the lead?

Is the coilpack cracked at all? If so, it could be damaged internally.

Post up where you're located i'm sure there will be someone local who might be able to help.

Hi,

Yes took the leads off 1 by one and made them arc on the inlet manifold. 4 spark and 2 don’t...

The coilpack is a topran and new.... unfortunately the car has been off the road years.

Should I buy a new bremi coilpack or do the ford conversion? I’m in North Yorkshire

I have used Bermi coil packs and have not had a problem. Torpan aren’t the best by some distance. I would test from the coil pack one by one with the same lead.

The coil pack has only three coils, so each vertical pair of outlets should spark at the same time. Sounds like you have a DOA Topran coil pack to me.

EDIT - if you have the same issue with two coil packs it does seem more likely that you might have an issue with the HT trigger output on the ECU. The coil packs are simple, they usually fail because of heat cycling so even a new old stock one is unlikely to be faulty. As per the grouping on the coil pack itself the ECU has three output trigger lines. I don't know which pins those are but that would be where to look next I would say.

Edited by dr_mat

Hi thanks for your response.

The problem is I changed a load of parts when I took the original coilpack off (and threw it away!) I then left the car for a while in the garage.

I have checked the 3 pins on the Ecu and I’m getting 9.5 at each... pin 54 is the one I believe should trigger 2/5 cylinders. I’m also getting 9.5 at the connector so I’m sure it must be coilpack....

Not a bad price here, but no clue if/when they are likely to come back in stock.

https://www.vwheritage.com/021905106-ignition-coil-vr6-vw-spare

Otherwise I usually find at least a couple on ebay from a 1990's VW VR6 of some description.

Its just a Topran (hover the cursor over the left hand side of the image), so available from other sources for less

Haven't had great experiences with Topran in the past myself - I'd go for Bosch, Bremi or Beru if buying a coil pack.

Vince at Stealth racing fitted a Bremi 20132 on mine so must be good as he wouldn't use junk. I imagine Beru is the best one out there.

I would stay well clear of that Topran garbage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BREMI-Ignition-Coil-VW-TRANSPORTER-CARAVELLE-2-8-VR6-2-8-VR-6/233317690780?epid=1520056557&hash=item3652d16d9c:g:G5UAAOSwle1dW5e4

Edited by Keyo

But they do WORK. For a while, at least. I do suspect you have other problems.

There's Hella ones on ebay for ~£130 too.