ABV-VR6

My long term VR6 Project

Well I looked into the Ford parts and it looks like it was discontinued a few years ago. So I'll have to fix mine. Is there any kind of diaphragm in there that could prevent me from soaking the part in a cleaner? 

Just search eBay and the aftermarket sites - you’ll get one no bother. I think there is just a mesh filter and a flap in there.

Thanks to all 3 of you, your expertise is much appreciated! 

I'm not sure if we had that Ford model here? I'll check it out, otherwise, ebay. 

But Keyo, like you I was thinking when washing the engine bay (I had lots of time) I was wondering if I could use a shrink wrap? Obviously with the right diameter to cover it, like 2 or 3 on top of each other. What do you think of that idea? Otherwise yes like you said I could probably cut it and see if it's still possible to install it. 

Cheers to you guys

9 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks to all 3 of you, your expertise is much appreciated! 

I'm not sure if we had that Ford model here? I'll check it out, otherwise, ebay. 

But Keyo, like you I was thinking when washing the engine bay (I had lots of time) I was wondering if I could use a shrink wrap? Obviously with the right diameter to cover it, like 2 or 3 on top of each other. What do you think of that idea? Otherwise yes like you said I could probably cut it and see if it's still possible to install it. 

Cheers to you guys

As long as its sealed its fine - or see if it houses correctly with a bit cut off. 

Well... I guess it's time for an overdue update! I haven't work as much on it as I wanted but work as been busy and with the uncertainty of this world, I better work while there's still work... I hope you all mates are doing well and hanging in there!

So I've been doing the dreading/behind the scene kind of work. Nothing pretty! But I want to start from the base up in the project so there's no regrets later. I took the dash out in order to get to the HVAC box. I had no problem with the heater core but I wanted to change it before I get the issue and the car is all nicely done... I opted for the all metal Passat B4 heater core for peace of mind. I cleaned up the box inside and out, redone all the doors, greased, looks pristine. What else? Changed the ignition lock too. I'm thinking of not reinstalling the passenger airbag as it freaks me out more than it makes me feel safe. I had sourced a glove box and was all happy to swap it but the way the bracket are made for the airbag do not make it possible to install the glove box. So I'll just reinstall the airbag cover without the airbag underneath... I will be deleting the steering wheel one as well since a different wheel will be installed.

I guess now I'm at the most dreading part of my project, the electrical part... While the dash is out I think it would be the right time to redo what I have to redo. Remember the car is automatic? I have bought all OEM 02J shifter part and polo box. I have the pedal cluster, brief everything to do the swap. But I struggle understanding the wiring diagrams, my Bentley cover 90/94 Corrados only, mine is ABV 95 so it's not making things easier. What do you guys use to trouble shoot your 95 2.9L VR6 cars? I don't even have the proper diagram for the fuse box... I need to figure out how and which wires I can remove to make the swap. I would love to simplify things... Like my ignition per example, I have a 94 manual wiring loom that I could swap but I need to understand the diagrams first so I know what works or not. My best friend on the other side of the country where I grew up (Québec) he's the master at electrical and he was supposed to come give me a hand sorting all of this out but with covid it's making it impossible for us to meet anymore... He's 6 hours flight and a 3 hours ferry away, forget it with covid!

Anyways, I can't wait to get this part behind me and start tackling nice little mission to do on the car... You guys take care, Cheers!

IMG_20200711_153205481.jpg

IMG_20200716_161657482.jpg

IMG_20200716_155616164.jpg

IMG_20200725_140143055.jpg

Crap jobs but worth it in the end. I think I’d try with the other manual loom, Only one plug for the manual box, speed sensor,  but wiring is definitely not my strong point. 

Thanks! Ya I think it's worth it, wouldn't want to frame walls on a rotten foundation. I know the heater core and switch would give me issues in the future plus it's a good way to see if all is good under the dash board as well...

Shaun, I do have the ignition switch wiring loom from a manual and like you I'm tempted to just swap it out... There's only one version of the ignition switch (for both auto and manual) so I'm assuming it is all about the wiring? Maybe the relay too? I have a 150 (I think it's the one for ignition) what do you guys have? If I could find a pdf of the wiring and fuse box of my car that would help I guess... 

Also, after opening that HVAC box and noticing how much stuff was in there. I decided to source an oem MK2 cabine filter bracket and filter that came on Asian VW. Supposedly it's bolt on so that will be a nice upgrade for quality of air and keeping the HVAC box clean in the future... 

IMG_20200725_145309430.jpg

IMG_20200809_101031775.jpg

IMG_20200809_100951382.jpg

Good effort ABV. Like the cabin filter - nice addition and will stop debris falling in. I've noticed others have popped some tights over the mesh.

Where abouts are you from Canada (saw on another thread you mentioned)? I always thought you were UK based. I know it's a big ol country but small world and all that - my Dad and half brothers (x3) live out there - Sault Sainte Marie. Prior to that they lived in White Rock, Vancouver/Surrey District.

19 hours ago, pfnsht said:

Good effort ABV. Like the cabin filter - nice addition and will stop debris falling in. I've noticed others have popped some tights over the mesh.

Where abouts are you from Canada (saw on another thread you mentioned)? I always thought you were UK based. I know it's a big ol country but small world and all that - my Dad and half brothers (x3) live out there - Sault Sainte Marie. Prior to that they lived in White Rock, Vancouver/Surrey District.

Thank you! The MK2 cabin filter in case you would be tempted is part: Housing 191 819 640 + Filter 191 819 638

Your dad and half brothers they did the opposite of me! I went from the East coast to the West coast! I sure do know Sault Sainte Marie and I've been on the West coast for 15 years now. I lived in Vancouver for over 9 years and also did a bunch of contracts in White Rock. So ya, big country but still a small world! Cheers mate. BTW, your car is amazing, keep it up!

On 8/14/2020 at 5:49 PM, ABV-VR6 said:

Thank you! The MK2 cabin filter in case you would be tempted is part: Housing 191 819 640 + Filter 191 819 638

Your dad and half brothers they did the opposite of me! I went from the East coast to the West coast! I sure do know Sault Sainte Marie and I've been on the West coast for 15 years now. I lived in Vancouver for over 9 years and also did a bunch of contracts in White Rock. So ya, big country but still a small world! Cheers mate. BTW, your car is amazing, keep it up!

I was going to post this on your thread mate as your car is Japanese but didn't want to fill your thread with pictures chap unrelated to your restore. Although it does have your engine cover decal. 

Thanks ABV and same to you - yours looks great. Keep the updates coming.

It is a small world indeed!

I have a 16v to get my teeth into now just popped a thread up on it. I will be keeping my white one though!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Alright mates, I had a few days off between contracts and I made some progress!
-Electrical from auto to manual is sorted out, a HUGE thanks to Hassan for all the links and help!
-ABS unit and wiring is out ready for my non-ABS swap.
-A/C hole in the firewall blocked with an OEM MK2 plate that I finished with POR15
-While the fuse box was out, I decided to swap my bonnet cable. No issues but I know these break and I call it preventive maintenance. It's a heavy duty gauge wire and the trumpets are aluminum and huge!
-The manual pedal cluster that I sprayed with POR15 and news pedal pads is installed, woohoo!
-Started to put together my 02J shifter with the Polo box, all new everything. Waiting for my order from dieselgeek to finish it off.

A special thanks to Fendervg and gurby28 for sharing info and electrical diagrams. Now I have pdf of everything ABV 95 related. Just need to learn German lol. That community is awesome! Cheers mates

IMG_20200909_143347095.jpg

IMG_20200909_144244023.jpg

IMG_20200914_140231559.jpg

IMG_20200912_094558721.jpg

IMG_20200914_140029431.jpg

IMG_20200915_113741829.jpg

IMG_20200915_132257911.jpg

I keep threatening my self with the polo gear shift conversation, but can’t get it together. Some good progress made there matey. 

You're most welcome JF and congrats on getting it done. Some impressive work there!

Great work on the shifter too - keep us posted

Hasan

11 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I keep threatening my self with the polo gear shift conversation, but can’t get it together. Some good progress made there matey. 

You know mate, in my case it make sense to do it now since I have to remove the auto stick anyways... May as well doing it right the first time! There's seems to be a general consensus that the 02A shifter is not super precise/sloppy/row boat feeling and the 02J conversion makes it short & tight and "modern". Other thing too, I personally like that the shift lever sits a tad more rearwards and is taller too, I think it's more ergonomic with this setup in a Corrado. I also ordered the Sigma5 short shift kit from dieselgeek and apparently it's night and day! Plus you lose the big shift weight tower from the 02J that bumps into the coolant hoses... Cheers!

8 hours ago, Cressa said:

Looking good. And expensive little bags 😁. Loving the updates 

Thank you, much appreciated! You know at first I went to the junk yard and pulled a 02J from an MK4. But when you take in consideration that the case is no good nor the "L" shape lever. Then may as well upgrade to new bushings while you're there... In the end, I checked with my local VW price wise, I had all my list of parts (bushings, screws, clips, tower)... It wasn't that bad! Yes there's lots like 20 something bags but they are all readily available parts and cheap. It was a no brainer! So I'm using only the two shift cables from the one I pulled finally as these are expensive! Cheers

6 hours ago, fla said:

You're most welcome JF and congrats on getting it done. Some impressive work there!

Great work on the shifter too - keep us posted

Hasan

I could have never done it without your help mate and I'm very thankful to you and your time with this. Sincerely appreciate it!
Take care! JF

Well mates, I have some progress to post and that feels good to see my dream car progressing in the direction that I want it to go.
The dashboard is back in the car and that's a huge relief. It was sad looking...
-My refurbished HVAC box is back in.
-Every wires were sorted, re-wrapped with Tesa tape.
-Sourced a brand new OEM RPM gauge dial to swap with the auto one. That allowed me to keep my original cluster and getting rid of the window with the P/N/D. No trace of auto anymore.
-Source an OEM 12V lighter trim without the A/C buttons for a clean install.
-Hardest part was to find the HVAC control panel late spec LHD without the A/C writing on it...  Now, there's no more sign of A/C previously install for a clean install.
-I bought a VW Gamma III radio refurbished to go in there.
-I have a master plan for the shift boot and knob and also for the e-brake. More on this once sorted out!
-I bought an Italvolanti Corsa 4 spokes to remove the airbag steering wheel. I feel like that this steering wheel is not a good fit for the Corrado and I like the old school look...

int1.jpg

int2.jpg

int3.jpg

int4.jpg

Your car looks well clean under the dash mate- great buy that car was from Japan. The 4 spoke Italovolanti was  a dealer option in a 1991 brochure in the UK for a Corrado /Rocco in accessorizes brochure ) love it ! Im guessing you will need a hub Boss as yours is a large spline. 

www.jpg

Edited by Keyo

And.... up to the next update!
Next after the interior, I've been working from the bottom up. Everything is remove in the engine bay.
I started with my conversion from ABS to non-ABS. First the ABS has only one line that goes to the rear and I decided to install two lines for safety sake.
-I bought everything new: ATE booster, ATE master cylinder upgraded from 22.5mm to 23.8mm for added braking power, ATE master cylinder.
-I also sourced an OEM brake reservoir and cap.
This was my first time making brake lines. I have to say, I quite enjoyed it. I do some plumbing here and there at work so I tough it was kind of similar.
I made a cheap brake line straightener with bearings from Amazon and left over hard maple from the stairs, worked fantastic!

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

2 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Your car looks well clean under the dash mate- great buy that car was from Japan. The 4 spoke Italovolanti was  a dealer option in a 1991 brochure in the UK for a Corrado /Rocco in accessorizes brochure ) love it ! Im guessing you will need a hub Boss .

www.jpg

Thanks mate! Wow I didn't knew that it came has a factory option. That's even better and thanks for letting me know! Cheers

3 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks mate! Wow I didn't knew that it came has a factory option. That's even better and thanks for letting me know! Cheers

It is I suppose what you call a dealer option and they would fit it for you - VW had a great aftermarket options back in the day - including Votex. 

And on to the last update!
I was itching of doing something cosmetic for a while and I did... I installed those new OEM roof strips (very pricey to get here) it was stressful!

And for you mates it's not a huge deal but for me getting those here is very hard and expensive. I had to sell a couple of Hardy fly reels I had lol.
So merry Christmas to me, I bought myself my dream wheels. The Schmidt Modernline. I don't know why but these are the only ones I want for my car. I mean, I would love BBS LM if they came in 16" but they don't. Anyways, I didn't wanted to go crazy with 9" and super stretched tires, I want a clean look, flush fit kind of thing. So I ordered them in 7.5 all around ET 25. I'll install 195/45 for a very mild stretch and probably with a 5mm spacer and the rear. I thought of ordering two in ET 20 for the rear but that would have prevented me from rotating my tyres.

And last point, I got my parts ready for powder coating. I sanded, filed, wire wheeled them to get the optimal finish out of them. I'm starting with the front for now. Driver Edition 288mm calipers & carriers, dust shields, controls arms, knuckles... Can't wait to see them done. Meanwhile I'll work on the steering rack, axles while I'm waiting for the parts I ordered for the rear brakes.

Cheers to all of you!

Roof.jpg

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

PC.jpg