ABV-VR6

My long term VR6 Project

41 minutes ago, oneohtwo said:

I think you'll be OK. You've got the anti-seize on the threads as well. The gear box has come up a treat, reminds me of the feeling after I did mine. Shame it goes back on the car and ends up getting dirty straight away! The short shifter is interesting, not seen it before. Is it a straight swap?

Interesting you have the bracket that runs from the front of the transmission to the engine mount, mine doesn't have that, but I did notice it in the Bentley manual so I guess it is a N. American feature. Any idea what its purpose is? 

They came on 4 cylinder and also early vr boxes -  they are worth quite a bit of money as well as people use them for engine conversions. not sure what they are for but they have two threads on the top as well for housing something. My g60 has one and my vr does not from factory. 

Ya I think it will be ok, if I was in the UK, it would be a different story though. It's true it reacts when water gets in and especially salt and water. Luckily here it's pretty dry and won't be driving in the rain or winter so I'm pretty confident about it. 

Transmission will get dirty, well all of it I guess! It will never be as nice than it is now for sure. 

The short shifter is from Diesel Geek, THE short shift to get. You need a 02J though to make it happen.  Which I converted when doing my swap, 02A are sloppy. They sell a bunch of specialized bushings for that box which I got as well. Look earlier in my build thread. It makes it crisp, direct shifts. https://dieselgeek.com/collections/vw-short-shifters/products/sigma-5-five-speed-short-shift-kit-for-mk4-vw

That bracket on the transmission was installed on sportier transmissions designed for the Corrado. It solidify the whole thing when shifting hard, preventing some rocking as well. It apparently makes a difference that can be felt. If you're interested in one, I can look around for you? I think I paid equivalent of £70, let me know if you're interested and I'll check if there's any! Cheers 

The Golf VR6 had them fitted as well I think. I bought a 2.8 block and gearbox a few years ago though the box was toast so I scrapped it, but It had one fitted. I only kept the head in the end....

Ah interesting. I can see it would stiffen the whole thing up if the gearbox wanted to twist. It's surprising how much movement there can be in these things. I wonder why they left it off some of the VR boxes. 

Cheers for the offer, but I probably don't need it and it'd be a faff trying to fit now, so I'll do without!

Great retro Canadian review of the Corrado- been Cannadian yourself I though I would post here. The main studio presenter clearly was very excited and the driver a bit gutted at the cost. The Saab spg is the 900 Turbo. 

Edited by Keyo

Pretty good old time video, I thought I've seen them all but no! Thanks for sharing! 

Alright time for another update on my project, things are moving along!

First, I installed my new exhaust line...

IMG_20220725_150247687.jpg

IMG_20220726_091234107.jpg

Second update, installed my H&R rear sway bar, got it powder coated to match the front one plus calipers

IMG_20220902_114800406.jpg

IMG_20220902_101800927.jpg

And... I finally put the engine back in the car, first time doing this, did it alone and it went quite well!

IMG_20220708_162521190.jpg

IMG_20220709_115401902.jpg

IMG_20220709_130148294.jpg

IMG_20220709_134449154.jpg

IMG_20220710_111546228.jpg

IMG_20220715_141500570.jpg

IMG_20220718_124324198.jpg

So since the last picture, I connected everything. filled oil and coolant for the first time. No leaks. 5 or 6 cranks and it fired up, I was soooo surprised! And the sound that comes out of the exhaust, you can tell it's strong, it's amazing to listen. Flushed the oil after 15 minutes. Filled with break-in oil and in a couple of weeks, I'll go for a first drive. Just a few things to tweak prior. I also adjusted the coilovers, looks so much better. I'll have to go for an alignment too. Super exciting but timing with winter coming up and 1000 miles break-in period, most likely it will be next spring. Cheers!

Top work JF and eveything is immaculate! Nice colour on the inlet - a little bit different to silver and actaully more oem looking. Loving the wooden supports under each wheel - I have a set of quick jacks which are easy enough to use (with extra timber to spread the load) but gets in the way and otherwise use axle stands, however those wooden supports are safe and not in the way + I guess if you did want to get a wheel off you can just support that corner on an axle stand. Good solution.

An update a long time coming, but you can see why matey. It looks stunning, better than when it was new and I’m made up for you the engine fire up has gone well, there is so much that can go wrong or be missed. The most impressive thing is you’ve done it all by your self to that standard, be spring before you know it. 

Wow JF that really is some achievement and what a superb result! An absolute credit to your efforts. And as Shaun says it's better than new!

19 hours ago, MJA said:

Top work JF and eveything is immaculate! Nice colour on the inlet - a little bit different to silver and actaully more oem looking. Loving the wooden supports under each wheel - I have a set of quick jacks which are easy enough to use (with extra timber to spread the load) but gets in the way and otherwise use axle stands, however those wooden supports are safe and not in the way + I guess if you did want to get a wheel off you can just support that corner on an axle stand. Good solution.

Mate, these wooded supports are a game changer. Took about 2 hours to make 2 sets and just some lumber and screws, cheap cheap cheap. One full height to work easy under the car, one set half height for like you said when you need to remove a wheel, I can put the jack stand on top of it so it's not all extended. I will also store the car in winter time on the half height to be further away from the humid concrete floor. And they also help to put the car on the taller one, lift the car onto those then to the taller ones so there's no scary business jacking up the car.

I chose this color for the inlet because I wanted to match the darker grey on my cover. I really like it and in person you can see a nice speckle in the powder coat.

2.9 Cover.jpg

17 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

An update a long time coming, but you can see why matey. It looks stunning, better than when it was new and I’m made up for you the engine fire up has gone well, there is so much that can go wrong or be missed. The most impressive thing is you’ve done it all by your self to that standard, be spring before you know it. 

I know Shaun, I've been busy but that's no excuse. You know what tools really helped me? Power brake bleeder, coolant vacuum pump. I've been able to figure out leaks on the brake system without air bubble. And I've been able to detect any leak in the coolant system prior to filling it plus no air pockets. That was key for me before starting it. To be honest I didn't think it would start. I was just like, well I guess it's ready to go so I could try? That was just after filling the coolant. 5 or 6 cranks mate, the sound...sublime. So I'm expecting there's going to be some hick ups at one point though. Already had to change fuel pump relay after a first scan. So I idle for like 20 minutes with some revs, electric fans kicked in perfect, flush the oil and filter. I need to get plates and I'll go for a drive like 50 miles then another flush. I hope all will be good but I'll bring some tools with me ha ha. After that the break-in will be next spring. Cheers!

13 hours ago, fla said:

Wow JF that really is some achievement and what a superb result! An absolute credit to your efforts. And as Shaun says it's better than new!

Thank you very much, without your electrical help I would not be there right now! Cheers

8 hours ago, oneohtwo said:

Absolutely stunning, well done! Lovely feeling when the engine cranks into life first time.

Thank you so much, what a feeling indeed. I just couldn't wrap my head around it, I was in disbelief I think. So special and scary at the same time. I had the fire extinguisher in my hand the whole time ha haa. Cheers!

looking at this again (second time in two days!) your attention to detail is really incredible, from the alloy light adjusters to the pipe p-clamps and replated nuts and bolts.  It will certainly be a pleasure to drive.  Wishing you a lot of enjoyment there JF.

Hasan

ABV, you put me to shame mate. Your motor is absolutely awesome.  We know  high standards when we see them, and your motor exceeds that.

Thank you for sharing with us.

19 hours ago, fla said:

looking at this again (second time in two days!) your attention to detail is really incredible, from the alloy light adjusters to the pipe p-clamps and replated nuts and bolts.  It will certainly be a pleasure to drive.  Wishing you a lot of enjoyment there JF.

Hasan

Thanks Hasan for the kind words. I did spent a lot of time into small details that probably won't be seen and noticed. But you did see a few! Once fully completed I'll snap a closer picture of the engine bay. I can't wait to drive it! Cheers mate