fla

dash speakers

What size of speakers can be installed in the dash without compromising the fitment of the speaker covers?  Does anyone have any pics of an install that they could post up, plus recommended speaker sizes?

Thanks

Hasan

20 hours ago, fla said:

What size of speakers can be installed in the dash without compromising the fitment of the speaker covers?  Does anyone have any pics of an install that they could post up, plus recommended speaker sizes?

Thanks

Hasan

hi hasan

im trying to think back probably 20 years to when i first owned the 16v - i think i put 4" inifinity 2 ways in the dash but the covers would never fit over properly

if im honest i the recess is so small i wouldnt bother putting a speaker in there

ive got 6.5" JL audios in the front & 6*9 inifinity in the rear & sound is awesome

you can get decent 5.25" in the OE door pods but be careful with how deep they are as they can push the door membrane back

I had a JBL GT507C set for a Golf that I used the door and rear speakers from, they came with crossovers and some small tweeters that look like they would fit, but the mounting would need some modding. To be honest, the sound platform there is so poor with the tweeters pointing at the windscreen that it's not really worth it - go for decent components, and put the tweeters in the pillar trim or door and you will find that gives good results.

I can't remember if it was my MK2 or MK3, I ripped the cones from the speakers and fitted tweeters to the remaining baskets using silicon. You could use a gluegun and experement angling the tweeter towards the driver whilst trial fitting the grills.

You can use the screen to bounce the sound towards you, high frequencies are directional, mid and bass less so.

Mine were MB Quarts, but below is a similar tweeter set up for example.

TP-005A Car Dome Tweeter 500W 4Ohm Speaker High Frequency Audio Loudspeaker | eBay

You'll get better performance from the mids if you bolt them to the door itself rather than the flimsy doorcard which wont cut off the out of phase (noise cancelling) frequencies from the rear.

Edited by Dox

I just disconnected mine - prefer good quality 4 way or as dox mentioned fit some tweeters.  if you can get a set of 6.5 and a 50 x 4 way stereo they run spot on - the stock 20 x 4 way are just pants. 

There are some alpine ones that fit but you need to trim the locating tabs a little for grill covers to sit flush. Believe these are them from memory. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111537852656?epid=57340890&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item19f82c90f0:g:i-4AAOSwwE5WVw31&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAAA4PUV1VZU7LOxNHfZ8pT0F7ELoL7HYqzzD28wjcJaJYh%2BNJOWC3xpXg5Z%2FMPr%2BjslRMK2v9pa2WaoKCqsWANyyzOGzyniTMMJFdpjI3xsgfFfGpMud7tEvOM0enuUQUgV6ej%2BLyO%2BVVW32B4T%2FnEkmcV2c%2BjeWb5Ukr8VG59XcwxxMMSL%2FhMqJqWPSKOsOLdKAhtT74ZDGECKBdc8CZ4KP6lBLEvFBrjbGLGwe5BOnI5jgnA9doxi7TrVvdmDFfSVj63GZAd8PfgaQkDj5CX9VRT2Pxo2j9b%2F1GkOwi3Nl4yF|tkp%3ABFBMgJrql5Fg

Edited by Keyo

Useful . input, thanks. Thats a good suggestion regarding 4-way door speakers, I'll look into that. And then presumably you don't need crossovers if you remove the dash tweeters?

4 hours ago, Dox said:

I can't remember if it was my MK2 or MK3, I ripped the cones from the speakers and fitted tweeters to the remaining baskets using silicon. You could use a gluegun and experement angling the tweeter towards the driver whilst trial fitting the grills.

You can use the screen to bounce the sound towards you, high frequencies are directional, mid and bass less so.

Mine were MB Quarts, but below is a similar tweeter set up for example.

TP-005A Car Dome Tweeter 500W 4Ohm Speaker High Frequency Audio Loudspeaker | eBay

You'll get better performance from the mids if you bolt them to the door itself rather than the flimsy doorcard which wont cut off the out of phase (noise cancelling) frequencies from the rear.

Can you suggest and any adapters or fittings to allow the speakers to be fitted to the doors directly? 

Pros usually use mdf and body filler. There may be better solutions these day

If you fit just 2,3,or 4-way door speakers (and no dash tweeters) does this mean that a crossover is no longer required?  

It mean high (directional) frequencies will be aimed between your knee and your ankle.

in practice is this actually detected ie does the sound appear muffled and low down or is it still quite clear? Audioscapes are angled upwards to perhaps this helps?  Perhaps a bit subjective i suppose..

What i'm looking at is removing the amp and just running the speakers off the head unit, which tbh is likely to be adequate for my needs.  If things change, i've got some amps i can use as required, or i may just get an integrated amp/subwoofer unit for the boot.  That said, i'd be interested in suggestions here.  Especially while the dash is in bits!

Thanks

Hasan

Most modern cars sound good? They alway have separates, tweeters in the dash or mirror housings? 

if you have a stereo at home try moving the speakers to point at the side walls, 90 degrees from the side walls and lastly pointed at your ears.

my mrs dad is into his classic hifi, stands full of sand, spikes in the floor etc he sits in the chair, dead centre speakers aimed at his ears.

Good info, thanks.

What would then be the best way to set these up? I think the crossovers i have, (diamond audio,  passive) might not be able to be powered effectively by the head unit

well after having refitted the crossovers it seems i've finally got an issue with the harness from the head unit.  Visually looks fine,but some loose connection somewhere that i cant identify because sound to the LHS speaker is scratchy every so often. Sprayed contact cleaner on them but i'll probably get a new harness just to rule it out.  Looks like the head unit CAN actually power the crossovers comfortably.

And of course i broke the thin plastic piece going across under the head unit cage yet again...

I recently installed 2 way speakers into the dash (4in) and the sound quality improved dramatically. Previously I had 2 ways in the door and the factory tweeter with crossover in the dash and it was pretty crap. I guess it is becuase the sound reflects off the screen towards your head but I was shocked at the level of improvement.

they were nothing special - just those Alpine E series direct fit jobbies. I had to cut the 4 ears where the screws go from the dash mount speakers but the others were a direct fit.  I have bought some foam sound insulation i plan to cut and put behind each speaker to give it something to fire against to improve things a little further. 

I realise its a bit late, but this is mine, CD Tech speakers

52196170681_9d12669799_z.jpg

52195161232_c563c8424a_z.jpg

Edited by GrahamU

Thanks Graham. Not to worry, my projects on the car, no matter how simple have a habit of just dragging on!

On 5/23/2022 at 2:00 PM, MJA said:

they were nothing special - just those Alpine E series direct fit jobbies. I had to cut the 4 ears where the screws go from the dash mount speakers but the others were a direct fit.  I have bought some foam sound insulation i plan to cut and put behind each speaker to give it something to fire against to improve things a little further. 

I've got these and was just pondering how to secure them once you cut the 4 screw ears off? How did you do it? The factory tweeter housing has plastic clips on the side, but I can't see how you could reuse those...

Need to sort out the wire splice as well which is a pain.

I've got these and was just pondering how to secure them once you cut the 4 screw ears off? How did you do it? The factory tweeter housing has plastic clips on the side, but I can't see how you could reuse those...
Need to sort out the wire splice as well which is a pain.
Very good question. Mine are too tight a fit to fully seat in the dash, I refuse to cut the dash and one left side rattles so I am now considering other options.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hmm. Sounds like this will need some further thought. Dox posted a picture in a Parts Wanted thread of some factory fit tweeters with metal clips and I initially thought these could just be repurposed for the Alpines, perhaps using the additional ring that came in the box. However, my tweeters have plastic clips moulded to the housing. 

Think I need to get the tweeters out to do a good side by side comparison with the Alpines. Like you I don't really want to go hacking out the dash.

I think Cressa has fitted these in the dash as well, so might have done something different.

I found the alpine speaker on its own with the additional ring was slighly too big for the hole, adding the ring made things worse. I managed to push the speak in someway but it isn't flush. I'm back to the drawing board.

If I woke up tomorrow with an endless supply of money I'd buy these and probably disconnect the dash speakers. Maybe there is some man maths in there by not buying more dash speakers that those door pads seem cheaper... or not. 

I just did a test fit on mine and they drop in OK without being tight. Wonder if there was a slight change to the dash at some point? I noticed my tweeters are Phillips not Nokia. 

But they are fairly loos, so got to find a way to keep them secure. Bit more thinking required.

On 9/5/2022 at 1:45 PM, oneohtwo said:

Hmm. Sounds like this will need some further thought. Dox posted a picture in a Parts Wanted thread of some factory fit tweeters with metal clips and I initially thought these could just be repurposed for the Alpines, perhaps using the additional ring that came in the box. However, my tweeters have plastic clips moulded to the housing. 

Think I need to get the tweeters out to do a good side by side comparison with the Alpines. Like you I don't really want to go hacking out the dash.

I think Cressa has fitted these in the dash as well, so might have done something different.

I will get a pic of mine this weekend, to see if that helps