Sign in to follow this  
Bora Bora

Tuning/Peformance on a budget

Thinking of spending a few quid in this area soon.

Is it worth doing on a 2.0 16v?

What are my options without spending big bucks?

Anyone had their 16v chipped?

Don't bother personally. For what little gains you will get, just stick the money in a pot towards something a bit more powerful.

Just my opinion mind...spend away if you like, as I'm not trying to disuade you :)

Been thinking the same.This is my first Corrado.It may be better to spend the money in other area's.Things that could be transferred onto a VR6 at a later date!

If you're thinking about G60 or VR at this point, then just stick the money in a pot.

I'd only spend money on the valver if you know you're gonna be keeping it for a long time...

Again, just my opinion so don't think i'm dissing the valvers.

G60 a new 16v...that will give you some awesome power.

ahhhh but not possible on a (guessing here btw) tight budget :wink:

Im pushing more power than a standard g60 on a 1.8 valver.How tight is your budget? i spent about £400 on my engine to acheive that

"FLUSTED"

Is your exhaust system custom made?

Can I have more details please?

Just priced up a full Millteck system with four branch manifold £495!

hey my c's chipped cost like !! :cry: :cry: £400 including mapping and the diffrence is not very big little more umpf up hi but nothing low down.. mind you the petrol i'm saving is nice.! that really make a diffrence :mrgreen:

i have 50mm inlets

1.8 cams

chipped

full ss exhaust system

and a couple of tweeks like with the fueling and timing!

The mods and power for mine are shown in my details below :mrgreen:

All the work was done by myself and my dad, I've spent about £200 in all to do it! But obviously this was using alot of my time instead of someone elses.

At least with a valver there is no supercharger to worry about, but you need to know what you want in the end, just a little more power - tune yours, alot more power - buy a G60/VR6.

For what its worth I've driven two VRs and they were not hugeley faster than mine, they sound gorgeous though.

Well I like my valver, nice power, and still room for a little more fettling :wink:

As Phil said,

just a little more power - tune yours, alot more power - buy a G60/VR6.

Plus you have to consider insurance and running costs....the more power, the more it costs!! :(

So by the time I have bought, full exhaust system (inc 4 branch manifold),cam, chip etc and pay to get them fitted its going to be well over a grand! And may be only gaining an estimated 20-30 bhp.

Think I'll put things on hold and run it as standard (bar the drilled airbox and k&n) for the moment.Only had the car 4 weeks so I'll wait for any teething problems 1st!

The thing that put me off getting a VR6 was I couldn't find one that had recently had a new belt fitted.I didn't want to shell out for it myself!

I'll try to be happy with what I have at the moment

Thats pretty impressive, can stretch to £600 at the moment.

An ABF (mk3 16v) or KR inlet cam and a ported, polished and gas flowed head and lower inlet manifold, that should take a healthy 2.0 block from 136bhp to nearer 165, possibly more.

Should be just about within your budget, for that you wil get a smooth strong power delivery to the red line without loosing much between idle and 3500 revs.

I don't know how many times I've said this to people, but don't bother with aftermarket exhausts and downpipes, waste of money on a valver, at the most get the standard cast iron exhaust manifold internally polished and matched to the head.

David.

Not mentioned as yet; but you could decat for starters, on a 2litre i'd be tempted by the KR sticks in first instance.

Not mentioned as yet; but you could decat for starters, on a 2litre i'd be tempted by the KR sticks in first instance.

Only the KR inlet is different from a 9A, but if you can get hold of ABF ones they offer even more lift than KR ones 8), bit less duration though.

David.

Im pushing more power than a standard g60

Not as much torque though :wink:

STD G60 has 165 ft/lb

Mine pushed 139ft/lbs :wink:

As for the cam,mate makes the modded chainwheels so all you need to do is find a spare exhaust cam and press on the new pulley,cut it down to same length as inlet cam and your away!

Its worth noting 2l inlet cam has 8.9mm lift and exhaust cam has 10.2!!!!!!!!