Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

_leon_'s Corrado - R32/Gemini box now in progress

Mods - how can I create a wiki page for the knowledge base?

I think you'll need to PM Andi about that one mate (Or try and make some sense out of this thread - viewtopic.php?f=45&t=73944 )

Looks like this is going to be one awesome Corrado!

Good stuff mate , this looks like its gonna be nice 8) Is this your first engine swap or are you experienced with it? The engine looks nice and clean, out of interest and if you don't mind me asking - how much did you get hold of it for?? Are they easy to come by in the UK? What brakes are you going to be using under those 301's (they look mint!!) I'll be keeping an eye on this :clap:

Good stuff mate , this looks like its gonna be nice 8) Is this your first engine swap or are you experienced with it? The engine looks nice and clean, out of interest and if you don't mind me asking - how much did you get hold of it for?? Are they easy to come by in the UK? What brakes are you going to be using under those 301's (they look mint!!) I'll be keeping an eye on this :clap:

Hi mate - yes this is the first swap. Will be a good way to learn more about the car... I got the engine for £900 then £300 for the loom/ecu. Its a 2007 BUB engine thats done extremely low mileage. There's a quite a few available to my knowledge - best thing to do is wait for one to come up on the likes of Edition38 - people on there chop and change regularly - and prices are quite reasonable. By the time you've sold the bits you don't need and the 12v bits you won't keep, you've already made a sizable portion of your expenditure back. So it was a no brainer for me personally. I went to see herisites conversion and the rate that its come together is very inspiring. Hence me testing the water with your VRT decisions!

As for brakes - I know the 312s fit - and have them fitted at the moment, but I'll have to go for APs eventually - always craved for a set - so we'll see what will happen with the RS'!

BTW I'm going to Melbourne in a few weeks - anything you'd recommend during a week visit?

Now thats a comprehensive post and list of plans, look forward to seeing the progress. From the way you utilise the 12v power when i've been in the car with you i can only imagine what will happen when you have the r32 power under your right foot :lol: On a serious note with all the plans you have it will be one of the most complete NA corrados about and regarding the brakes im sure we will be able to work out how to get a set of big brakes behind the rs's

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

Cool, should be a steep learning curve, well worth it i reckon, i've done a bike engine or two but nothing complicated like this, i'm really keen to do one at the moment and love reading threads like this for inspiration, i saw herisites R32 conversion which looked awesome too, they make such a nice sound :gag: :grin: Sounds like a bargain too 8)

Off to Melbourne are you, i lived there for a year, to be honest it wasn't really my cuppa tea but i'd check out St Kilda for sure, Fitzroy was pretty cool too, and if you're hiring a car its worth driving to Mount Dandenong, there a little place up there called Olinda which is nice and chilled out. Are you only in Aus for a week? Why not longer?

Yes - but fitting an 02M was a lot of work/change - so preferred to stick with my 02A. I didn't want to use things like blanking plates for FWD - or source a FWD 02M...

02A with the Gemini in it is pure retro Corrado and the ratios were specifically chosen to get the most out of the V6 :salute:

O2M is a pain in the ar$e.

From the way you utilise the 12v power when i've been in the car with you i can only imagine what will happen when you have the r32 power under your right foot :lol:

I was speaking to Simon at Strictlydubs yesterday and they've got a stunning MK2 R32 there and he was saying it keeps up with their Corrado VRT running 8psi :shock: Mind you, a MK2 is a good 250Kg lighter.

On a serious note with all the plans you have it will be one of the most complete NA corrados about and regarding the brakes im sure we will be able to work out how to get a set of big brakes behind the rs's

Agreed, I love Leon's style :salute:

Not sure how you'll get something like an AP 4 pot to sit behind RSs without major spacing. You could move the rotors (and therefore the caliper) more inboard with custom bells, but you would need 350mm diameter ones to clear the bottom ball joint, which will mean 18" wheels :? If you two can crack this one, I'll buy you both a crate of cuban cigars!

iirc 301's have 42mm of clearance from the hub face to the back of the spokes. I remember a post from you saying that your ap's needed 42mm of clearance so with a mild spacer i would think they would clear. Maybe when the time comes to think about brakes leon could trial a wheel over your setup.

edit

this is the post with the clearance requirements of ap's mentioned

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=62085&p=727331&hilit=42mm+ap#p727331

and heres a link to G60 stoney confirming the back spacing.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41254&hilit=bbs+rs+brembo&start=225#p862474

Ah nice one, I didn't realise 301's had that much clearance.

Just did some more measurements and using the CP5200 caliper based kit, with the standard AP 15mm thick bells, you need 36mm of clearance. With the 7mm thick bells you need that 43mm, but say 45 to be safe. So yeah, looks doable then with some very mild spacing.

Next question for Leon, how much does a full assembled 301 weigh?

Don't the back of the parameter bolts stick out more than the back of the spokes on a 301 though? Too lazy to take one off at the mo (ands its too early in the morning!):D They'll get in the way if the discs are big enough :mad2:

I think they're around 8.5kg Kev.

Off to Melbourne are you, i lived there for a year, to be honest it wasn't really my cuppa tea but i'd check out St Kilda for sure, Fitzroy was pretty cool too, and if you're hiring a car its worth driving to Mount Dandenong, there a little place up there called Olinda which is nice and chilled out. Are you only in Aus for a week? Why not longer?

Going there for a week as part of a trip to malaysia for 3-4 weeks (since the gf is from there). Her sister is out there so we're going out for a short visit. Not been before so excited to go :) I've read all sorts between Melbourne and Sydney etc. Being in London at the moment I'm used to busy cities, but to be honest, when going away I prefer laid back places, so curious how I'll find Melbourne. Cheers for the tips :)

02A with the Gemini in it is pure retro Corrado and the ratios were specifically chosen to get the most out of the V6

I can't wait to get the gearbox done - should make a huge difference. And that sound :)

Regarding the RS' - no idea whether the RS' will work with AP's. I remember chatting to Kev about the thickness of the stadnard kit bells - so the standard 15mm thick bells could work. And not sure if the bolts at the back of the eyelets will foul the calipers - depends on the shape of the calipers. Best thing to do is try them against your car Kev next time I see you. I weighed them last night - between 8.5-9Kgs each (without a tyre fitted). Not fantastic - but not bad either.

Leon mate I was talking bollox about the oil senders on the oil filter housing. I thought there were 3 for some reason but it's the same as the VR mate, 1 black and 1 blue. I've got the black one at the back replacing the original R32 sender, then the blue one sticking out the front after removing the star headed blanking screw. Hope this helps a bit! Soz for confusion :lol:

No worries mate :)

I ordered my pedal and a load of other things today, found out there's a bracket you can order that's used to secure the pedal to the floor. You just need the bracket spot welded to the floor, I.e no screws into the floor. Can get you a part number if you want to do that? Also do you want a blanking plate for the air pump injector (behind the head)?

Would you mind if I asked a favour too? ;) any chance you could tell me what part number is on your servo vacuum pipe off the inlet? And a photo of that area? Would be a great help mate! Good luck today btw

Awesome plans mate cant wait for yours to be done. All these 3.2 conversions are making me think about doing it too lol.

Awesome plans mate cant wait for yours to be done. All these 3.2 conversions are making me think about doing it too lol.

Don't do it!! :nono:

Be true to the 12v movement!

[Only green with envy :tongue: ]

Almost had the 12v out today - fell at the last hurdle though - the rear engine needs a deep 16mm socket to get the top bolt off - is that the standard bolt thats in there? Surprised to be honest - and didn't have a head that would take it off. All the spanner did was lead me to red knuckles :)

Hopefully should have it out shortly - and a load of stuff going into a parts for sale ad. Pics coming in the next update - have a car load of stuff being blasted and painted and the 24v shouldn't be far from being built back up totally fresh, clean and painted.

Almost had the 12v out today - fell at the last hurdle though - the rear engine needs a deep 16mm socket to get the top bolt off - is that the standard bolt thats in there? Surprised to be honest - and didn't have a head that would take it off. All the spanner did was lead me to red knuckles :)

Yup....

You could try taking the socket off the bar/extension and dropping it over the bolt, then try pushing the bar/extension as far into the 1/2" square as far as you can and see if it will undo then.

Just be aware that you can damage the extension and socket.

Hope that helps....

Cheers Tom - I tried that too but gave up after both that and fudging a 16 by using shims in a 17 failed. Classic case of not reading through to check ive all the correct tools up front! Deep set 16mm did surprise me though - unusual for VW

when i had a think back after i spoke to you i'm suprised you needed a deep 16mm. I can't remember what i have on my engine but i managed to get the bolt undone and i dont have a deep 16mm socket or a 16mm spanner in my tool set.

Depending on how tight it is - you might get away with a 17mm. Either way - thats whats needed now!

Good to see you again today Leon - looking at the R32 makes it look soooooooooo tempting. Give me a shout when you're back and i'll come over and give you a hand. Think you're very right about the 263s in my car though!