Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

_leon_'s Corrado - R32/Gemini box now in progress

chargers gone. taking some time to put get loads of things done before its going back on the road. today tried black on the manifold - just out of curiosity - only used a cheap halfords black spray so the finish of course is not good. undecided on it over silver... its getting powdercoated soon along with lots of other parts - either matt black or silver. opinions? :)

your engine bay looks really good! Im trying to bring mine up to scratch now too and have also painted my manifold black although ive gone for a matt finish and painted the vr6 dohc plastic in the same colour and finish. Yours works well! Looking at your bay has given me a few ideas i think im going to replace my expansion tank and bring my hoses up to scratch!

Few new pics - done loads to the car lately - mainly just trying to bring up the standard of the car. Although just moved somewhere with space and a garage so doing all the work is much easier now!

- 301's are on their way, keeping rc's for winter

- new leather on elec/heated recaros are coming

- AC hopefully

- rebuild is planned for winter

- new techtonics exhaust, neuspeed short shift and 25mm rear arb waiting to be fitted

- awaiting the gemini 3-6 kit

- and some new paint in areas

- other smaller updates; crazydaves brackets, new fittings around the engine bay, 50mm splitter etc

Miss the grunt from the charger at times, have thought twice about it

yeah i noticed that cheeky post on club gti about the gearbox kit :) and 301s too? very nice!

everything else looking very good too, the car is going to be a bad influence on me...

Looking awesome mate.

Did a little cleaning job on my engine yesterday but just havent got the patience lol. Yours looks really tidy and still OEM looking love it!

Matt

Well, I've been acquiring quite a few parts recently and on the fence whether to stay 12v or 24v.. Finally decided a month ago that the answer was R32. Having seen how relatively straightforward Rob (herisites) conversion was going, my mind was made up really. So picked up the R32 motor and 02M gearbox at Ed38, now starting stripping the bits I don't need and cleaning up whats staying, also goign to start posting questions!

The plan is to:

• Clean up the R32 and sell off the bits not needed[/*:e3n594re]

• Get the Gemini kit fitted into the gearbox along with the rebuild, new cables and Peloquin ATB diff at JKM - the same place that did StormChargedVR6's gearbox. Jim there will also do a custom short shift - Shaun seems very pleased with his :)[/*:e3n594re]

• Remove the 12v and fit the R32/Gemini box, ancillaries, pedal etc, keep as much 24v parts as possible, including the bay layout from the Golf - basically get everything mechanically done and fitted[/*:e3n594re]

• Have the Mk5 loom converted at Stealth and Mk5 downpipe adapted for the Corrado, ECU defeats, mapping etc and drive out... Else I'll follow Rob's approach[/*:e3n594re]

• Strip back everything, cleanup subframe, rear beam, refresh of all running gear and brakes[/*:e3n594re]

• Paint time :)[/*:e3n594re]

• refit everything again = done![/*:e3n594re]

So - have started the R32 cleanup/stripping down - and have some questions which I hope someone can help with please!! Its hopefully ask a load of q's in one go :)

1. Can you use the 24v starter motor with an 02A gearbox and 12v flywheel? Now sure what differences there are to the 12v one...[/*:e3n594re]

2. For those of you who have used the 4Motion bracket (for fitting the PAS pump primarily), but bracket have you used? The pictures I've seen look the same as the 12v tensioner?[/*:e3n594re]

3. The oil temp sensor on the 12v can be fitted directly to the oil filter/cooler housing on the 24v?[/*:e3n594re]

4. The oil pressure sender is lost when converting? Have people found the best way is to get some piping made up using a t-piece allowing a sender to be included in-line? Wasn't sure if other's had found another way yet..[/*:e3n594re]

5. Have people removed the air pump, black correlated tubing from the back of the head to the front, and the valve(?) unit above the matrix pipe with the silver disc? See the pic with the arrows/letters. If so, I'm wanting to get a blanking plate made up to replace the valve unit, rather than leave it fitted. If anyone else wants one made up let me know.[/*:e3n594re]

6. Theres 3 water pipes on the front of the engine (A, B, C). Please correct me if my understanding thats following is incorrect. A goes from the block to the Aux pump = block it up since the Aux pump will be moved (however I may keep it there since I want to retain the original pipework if possible). B goes from the crack pipe to the Oil cooler. C goes from the Oil cooler to the block. Since I'm removing the oil cooler entirely, can I just put a pipe going from the crack pipe (B) to the block (C)?[/*:e3n594re]

7. Does the oil filter housing/oil cooler allow fitment of a thermostatic plate straight on - that would be used with say a Mocal cooler?[/*:e3n594re]

8. For Mk5 engines without aircon, what belt can you use?[/*:e3n594re]

9. The plan is to run engine as standard with some mapping at Stealth, but not long after will be fitting cams and pushing for 300bhp. What advice would you guys offer towards what fuel pumps to use? I know the external pump feeding the main fuel lines is the standard one, but have a feeling Nick (previous owner) fitted a Walbro in-tank pump. If thats the case, would I need anything else or leave alone? If not, then should that be the route I follow?[/*:e3n594re]

10. Theres two pics I've attached showing 4 brackets - can anyone say what they are?[/*:e3n594re]

11. Where do the water pipes shown by the arrows/letters in the two attached pics go to? I've got the hard pipes on the heatshield - do they mate directly to those?[/*:e3n594re]

I know thats a comprehensive set of questions - but hoping to minimise the complications through the conversion - if anyone can help I'll owe you a pint :) And I'm more than happy to document the work and answers to the usual FAQs along the way.

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfIMG_0013.JPG[/attachment:e3n594re]

Corrado92.pdf_MG_0020.JPG[/attachment:e3n594re]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdf_MG_0021.JPG[/attachment:e3n594re]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf_MG_0041.JPG[/attachment:e3n594re]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf_MG_0040.jpg[/attachment:e3n594re]

I'm busy building these up at the moment too! Take quite a while per wheel but the finished product is a thing of beauty!

_MG_0049.jpg[/attachment:e3n594re]

looking good, nice clean engine!

The first picture of 'what are these' are MK4 style engine mount brackets first one is the Rh (drivers side) mount that bolts to the block the other one I think is gearbox side one.

Dont know what the black thing is in the other photo but the big ring one looks like it the one which holds the aux air pump and hangs of the front of the engine ( right in the middle behind the rad) on the R32.

Cheers Doug - been following your thread closely too! Good to meet you at Ed38 btw

So in other words i won't be needing any of those

For those of you who have used the 4Motion bracket (for fitting the PAS pump primarily), but bracket have you used? The pictures I've seen look the same as the 12v tensioner?

You can use 12v or 4mo I believe. I think some people have used the 12v tensioner, but I got a 4mo one which is pretty much the same.

The oil temp sensor on the 12v can be fitted directly to the oil filter/cooler housing on the 24v?

Yep you need all VR sensors as the clocks won't speak with the R32 ones. IIRC it's 2 blue sensors and 1 black, I might be wrong though and it's 2 black one blue :lol: I can't see them now I have put it all back together, typical :roll:

The oil pressure sender is lost when converting? Have people found the best way is to get some piping made up using a t-piece allowing a sender to be included in-line? Wasn't sure if other's had found another way yet..

Nope there is somewhere for it, on the front of the oil filter housing you should see a star headed screw, you can plug a VR oil pressure sender in there. I might have to take the front end off again next weekend when Kev comes, so if I do I will try and remember to get pics of it all for you.

I have a pic of the VR oil cooler on though and the coolant pipes that you phoned me about yesterday, I'll PM you it.

gonna be sweet when done mate,

Can you use the 24v starter motor with an 02A gearbox and 12v flywheel? Now sure what differences there are to the 12v one... answer is no mate, the 24v starter motor has a completely different sprocket for the flywheel

For Mk5 engines without aircon, what belt can you use? you need a 6PK1264 belt mate, you can get one from GSF for about £12

Does the oil filter housing/oil cooler allow fitment of a thermostatic plate straight on - that would be used with say a Mocal cooler? if you use a 12v oil filter housing you can then fit a mocal oilcooler kit

hope that helps a bit??

leon, good to see you today. Exciting times ahead, just make sure you document everything, i may be following you down this route next year :cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

awesome help Rob/Karl - thanks a lot :)

I'll just use my 12v bracket and tensioner in that case - as the tensioner is nearly new. A pic would be great Rob - I've been looking at pete_griff's hi-res pics and I think I know what to do with the pipework now. Not quite following you on the temperature sensor - are you referring to the water temp? On the 12v the temp and pressure senders are beside each other on the oil filter housing iirc. Just wondering if the same is done on the R32?

Belt number - you're a star Karl :) You rattled that off the top of your head? ;) After looking at pete_griff's pics - I have a feeling the mocal plate can be fitted straight onto the 24v housing. Will give it a go!

leon, good to see you today. Exciting times ahead, just make sure you document everything, i may be following you down this route next year :cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

i knew it! Did you get the car running today?

Yeah - going to try and make a full FAQ to capture all the questions/answers I'm posting - and document the basis steps taken to do it all.

Mods - how can I create a wiki page for the knowledge base?

yep, engine is running now :clap: Your seats looked brilliant, fewer bars than the normal leather multipanelled seats.

Thing is, i blow hot and cold with the R32 or 12V turbo options. Decisions....

Yeah - going to try and make a full FAQ to capture all the questions/answers I'm posting - and document the basis steps taken to do it all.

If you want some help with that mate gimme a shout :salute:

@Hasan - theres a few of each going on at the moment - so maybe wait and see how easy each go first and decide from there?

@Rob - cool - think I've about 25 questions/answers to capture at the moment!

Soon there will be no 12v's left!!! Sounds like your doing all the right mods as well.

One question though you say you have an O2M gearbox and your fitting a Gemini kit. I thought this was 6spd box already?

Cheers

Yes - but fitting an 02M was a lot of work/change - so preferred to stick with my 02A. I didn't want to use things like blanking plates for FWD - or source a FWD 02M...