Sign in to follow this  
fla

Polish for tailpipe

Spykee, you have autosol, so why dont you try it. or did you have to log onto the forum for such advise!

Jeez chill mate! :roll:

i only asked as it was unclear and i didnt want to spend hours polishing if it wouldnt work!!

its done now anyway

What the heck is an NMR magnet?! You used to clean that thing with a step ladder with Autosol? Must have taken you 3 weeks :-)

What the heck is an NMR magnet?! You used to clean that thing with a step ladder with Autosol? Must have taken you 3 weeks :-)

Nuclear Magnetic Resonance scanners :)

I was a test engineer, so didn't polish them all ;)

we also made the largest Magnet in the word, called Battel, he was crazy, went out on a low loader, that was fecking huge, considering that pic on the site doesn't should the housing for him

I've recently polished the pipe again with the wheel polishing kit I bought. Looks great and only needs a bit of metal polish after a wash. Now, the problem is this: the back box looks manky and stands out even more now with the shiny tailpipe. Ideas for cleaniing off the surface rust with a subsequent polish?

Must pick up some Autosol on Sunday down at Halfords.. my pipe is looking decidedly neglected! ;)

Used my own polish on a supersprint tailpipe.

mix of lots of salt and liquid soap handwash. no water. Salt crystals act as abrasive, and soap gets rid of tar oil etc. Only used water to rinse. Old toothbrush was usefull. Now very shiney !

Yep Autosol and some elbow grease.

I've used it on all my Chrome/polished parts since year dot. Small amount goes a long way too!

Well impressed with Autosol! Picked up a tube of it today at the old Halfrauds (as well as some Turtlewax stuff as it was BOGOF) - incredible the amount of shine it pulls out of the exhaust pipe!

I'll be keeping a tube of that stuff as a permanent part of my cleaning kit from now on!

Oh Wwhat a joy 10mins a tube of Auto sol and my Dremmel....

Oh on the before shot the gunk on the pipe is Silcone digester..Love that word. Previous owner had the zorst badly fitted and piled loads of silicone on to stop the banging.

zorst-1.jpg

zorst-2.jpg

Chaps,

My exhaust tailpipe looks a bit dull, compared with the rest of the car. Doesnt need replacing at all and I dont fancy one of those chavtastic bolt on pipes. Any idea what to shine it up with? I've used chrome polish but without success.

I use Autosol (a white substance like toothpaste) on my standard Corrado exhaust; using a good cotton cloth like old denim. It comes up good and shiny. It simply polishes off the grime and does not wax or protect - not an issue for the pipe. Always used the stuff on polished bike bits - took an age on my polished swing-arm; obviously do NOT rub onto rubber/paint etc as it is an abrasive; even avoid lightly chromed areas too. Pic of my pipe (ooer) in one of my galleries / or just looks like Neils.

Being a straight cut its easy to clean too. Being SS, I always have the option to rub down with wet-n-dry then autosol if needed - but it has never come to that, and never will in my ownership.

To be honest the tailpipe comes up nicely with a buffer attachment on the drill and then you can keep it shiny with autosol or any other polish you like. I'm more concerned about cleaning the actual backbox face which you see from the rear of the car. It looks really scabby especailly behind a shiny zorst.

Hmmm... Just wondering how to take off the S/S pipe cover you find on the standard VR6 exhaust so that I can give it a good clean - dulled outside and coked inside.

Here's what I mean - 4th one down sadly gives away its welded on to the rest of the exhaust pipe. So's gonna be awkward to get around the bumper to clean it. Actually the pipe's not even on right just looking at it.

Tailpipe01.jpgTailpipe02.jpg

Tailpipe03.jpgTailpipe04.jpg

Hi mate..

Its like any other fit for an exhaust.. You can sort it by pulling n fiting clamps n straps and the like. As for getting in to shine it up...Well you could remove the bumper no big deal just a few bolts n it slides off or you could do as most of us hve..Get a dremmel and tube of Autosol and get it polished. The Dremmel is a great tool and really is part of the 'Needed' toolkit for adding and removing items to your pride and joy.

It will come with small polising pads and its size will allow you to do the pipe wih the bumper on.

Looks the same as my "Walker quality replacement" backbox! :gag:

No amount of beating with an adjusting wrench gets it to sit straight!

Ah well just as well the box has started to rot out gives me an excuse to replace it now!

Here's what I mean - 4th one down sadly gives away its welded on to the rest of the exhaust pipe. So's gonna be awkward to get around the bumper to clean it. Actually the pipe's not even on right just looking at it.

Tailpipe01.jpgTailpipe02.jpg

Tailpipe03.jpgTailpipe04.jpg

Yeah that looks like a walker or bosal aftermarket back box, there is not much point polishing the end of it as it will just be galvanised mild steel so will just rust within a few days.

you would probably be better off buying a decent quality chrome or stainless tail pipe trim and just hacking the manky old one off, i think halfrauds sell the trims (you could even get one of the lovely anodised pink girl racer ones they sell) the standard back box for all models has a stainless tip but for some reason most are covered in thick black paint :?