Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

what can u use to tint the rear lights?

May I be so bold but to suggest...... "tinting spray"?

Available from all good Hellfrauds in a pelothora of colours.

tried it on an astra I used to own, its not too hard to get a resonable finish that stands up from a distance, on closer inspection you could tell they'd been DIY-tinted though. I did that a while back and since then I've been told that multiple coats followed by t-cut and a polish over with wax gives a much better finish. If it all goes pear shaped you can always use thinners and get them back to how they were!

Is it difficult to get a decent finish - anyone tried it? Or can it end up just looking cheap and nasty?

Just wait for a nice warm day - the Halfords stuff isn't actually as good as the one they sell in my local motor factors, can't remember the name but bigger cans for less money...

if you feel the need to spray your lights try a spray from a manufacturer called "savage" this is better than the foil-tec one i belive halfords sell ?

cheers lads :) wil go and buy some :) - befor i doo - any of you guys know what looks best on a perl grey corrado? or mabe some pics of tinted lights on diferent coulour cars?

red/smoked FKs or Inpros would look really good, but if you're going for tinting spray, go all red. remember you'll probably need better bulbs for the indicators to make sure they still flash orange!

I used 'Savage' spray on mine (sh1te name but good spray :lol:) after I'd finishd I gave them a couple of clear coats of laquer and they have come up really nice - a near profesional finish if I do say so myself... will be giving them a cut and a polish before they go on the C 8)

I used 'Savage' spray on mine (sh1te name but good spray :lol:) after I'd finishd I gave them a couple of clear coats of laquer and they have come up really nice - a near profesional finish if I do say so myself... will be giving them a cut and a polish before they go on the C 8)

phil, did you mask the reflectors with tape,

an what sort? i cant find anything thin enough

phil, did you mask the reflectors with tape,

an what sort? i cant find anything thin enough

We used Hellfrauds bodystyling stripe - the really thin stuff! - to stripe the indicators and reverse lights whilst tinting... Though if you're doing them smoked, you won't need to do this as you're effectively not changing the colour, just making them slightly darker... :)

did you give it a go? Ive been putting it off, but i here that halfords are doiung a buy two get one free promo.

Okay, i have searched and i have gotten some results but im still not sure how to do this, i was thinking that i should tint my tail lights (smoked i should say) ive read many posts before i put this question up, now i know to do this i need to get black transparent spray paint, i should most likely remove the tail lights from the car to do this, now my question is do i spray it on the entire like or should i leave the reverse light un smoked, well im probably gona smoke the entire thing and my second question which is my real question is can this be undone, say i spray it and i dont like it is there a way for me to remove the paint without damageing the light and if i clear coat it with laquer is that undoable, can i remove the laquer (clear coat) any suggestions, my cars that dark purple color idk the technical name, and what does it mean to cut the light iv read "im going polish and cut my lights" im currently in canada for a week so im bored. Im using this time to see what can be done to my car with my low budget, i still dont have a job lol

Thanks again

CorradoDriver - have a look here - http://www.the-corrado.net/wiki/index.php/Tinting_Rear_Lights

Polish and cut is the same thing really, cut refers to a 'cutting' compound that contains abrasives and other chemicals that remove a tiny amount of surface from the lacquer and give a nice shiny finish - many cutting compounds are commonly referred to as polishes.

As far as reversing the process, if you sand off the lacquer you've applied you should be able to remove the tint sparay with thinners - I've seen this done in the past with no harm to the lights.

Some one said you can sand the laquer off?? wont that damage the light and how can you sand plastic, wont it scratch up the light?? once i get back to the good old USA i have to pick my car up from my body shop guy ill ask him he should know. Thanks for you help

HEH, i used the Halfrauds stuff too, cant remember the name, but you probably all know what it is anyway. I got a real Sh!tty finish with them so i bought the remover (also from frauds £10 for it :crazyeyes: ). I found the remover made the paint go gunky and was a b!tch to get off.

CorradoDriver, I found the easiest way to remove any tint was with a scalpel to gently peel it off from a corner in strips. That way it comes of fairly readily bt you need to be careful that you dont gouge out bits from the lens cover. PLus the scalpel must be VERY sharp. Its much quicker and less meesy than using thinners and solvents although it is good to polish the lenses afterwards.