Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

should i be geting beaten by these cars?

The 2.0 16v engine is not a big bruiser unfortunately, especially combined with the weight of the Corrado.

A little light Civic and a Focus would probably eat you off the lights but if things got to silly speeds you'd pull ahead easily. Not that you would. Of course.

Indeed.. if you do feel the urge to drive like a loon, you need to keep the 16v engine revving. The 2.0 is slightly more torquey than the 1.8 but you do still need to keep the engine high in the revs if you want to make any real progress!

You should be able to pick up a KR inlet cam for around £30 second hand.

You only need the inlet can, because the exhaust cams are the same on 9A and KR engines.

I have done mine in under 2 hours.

no offence mate, but either your C needs work, or you need practice! :D lol. i thought you were offered kr cams for free mistrall?? didnt that work out?

mine's a 2L 16v and off a roundabout in 2nd nothing has come near me. Well maybe a WRX once and a punk in a clio 172 whupped me. Oh and there was this one time in.......

I got beaten by a bora TDi yesterday (ok, a bad change from 2nd to 3rd didn't help).

Was a bit gutted but then consoled myself with the fact that whatever guise the rado is in it looks infinately cooler than most of the cars on the road today 8)

But will def have to own a VR6 at some point.

i nearly got pasted by a passat tdi the other day, so i made up for it today and mashed a 2.0 gti mk5 :D

he was keeping up fairly well on the straight, then when it tipped into the roundabout his car was about 100m away skipping all over the place, while i just gently powered ahead

i ithnk the g60 is runing like ass though, its a bit gutless below 3500 revs, must be the vacuum hose or something, no idea where to look though

i am still waiting for the reply on the cam :( sent loads of pm's - car has been worked on by 16vg60 a few times and he thinks it runs great - as for my driving you cant realy go wrong on a straight road rev up to the red and change - did i get that right????

hey

Since my 2 years of 2l ownership I have had various meetings with several of the cars mentioned in this thread.

Focus (off a roundabout) I beat

Mondeo 2l (new model) off the lights I beat

Golf 16v GTI off a roundabout

Golf 1.8 8v Standing start. (my old car which had fast road cams and induction kit which my mate bought off me) Level to 60 then I left it behind

Mk4 Golf GTi (not sure of spec)

Mazda Mx5 (straight sprint against a mates car standing start) beat although I played catched up to 60 mph

An audi estate quattro (not sure of engine but i assume it was a diesel) up a half mile 1 in 6 climb I left behind

and I made good progress against a lotus elise but this was not a standing start.

66 mustang 289 cu inc (he couldnt get off the lights though as he was wheel spinning for buggery)

I got pumped by my mates porsche 928 GTS and his new 350z but I can live with that.

I have a standard 2l 16 valve with a milltek system and k&n replacment filter.

I do not recommend racing cars as it is childish and silly but sadly the boy in me takes over. And I dont get to drive it much.

shame about the cam, keep trying, got to be worth it if it works out!. and personally, i wouldnt go past 6.5krpm at any time(i never get to redline, it sounds far to scary!), normal gear change whilst pushing it would be just under 6k for me. i have to keep reminding myself the old girl has done near 160k miles, so the way i drive now, i kinda think im pushing her as it is.

i know im planning on changing the engine soon anyway, but it doesnt mean i have to blow this one first.

btw, was it an old mini or new?... remember C's aren't the best off the line, and the original mini's can really shift some... they dont weigh anything!, so up to 50 i would imagine a decent old mini would stick with you, but after that, at high revs... that 9a really should start laughing at ALOT of things on the road...

also remember most importantly as stated by matt above... this type of driving is stupid and dangerous, so you shouldn't even be finding out what your C can do tbh :wink:

EDIT:: sorry mistrall just read the "old old mini" bit, i used to have a 1970's mini sport with a 1275 engine, mate, that thing really did shift...

While this topic is being debated, I've just had a chap in the office say that he thinks I would get a whupping (theoretically of course) from his Bora 130 PD up to 100. With the mods to my valver, I think that 60 would be achievable in just over 7 secs to his 10 odd, but what about the next 40mph? If he's correct then I'm prepared to admit it, however my gut reaction was 'Torque monster or not, no chance.' Any comments?

Cheers,

Tom