Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

should i be geting beaten by these cars?

me doing 70 in 3rd at 7000rpm.

christ you sure? mines like 95 there

well speedo read 80ish but my wheel/tyre profile is out so is more like 70.

was the first time i've actually taken my new engine to that rev range and only took the old one that far a few times to.normally pop it in 4th so im around 4-5krpm ish which stills give enough torque

the fez and G60 were on the old engine whereas the others were on the new one.

Leaving the mazda for dead accelerating in 3rd with stainless exhaust and drilled airbox going was prob the best fun i've had in the C so far.

Mine too, some days it feels really quick and smooth others, it feels rough and gutless.

Welcome to Corrado land :lol:

Not just Rados tho..... my mates old Leon Cupra R felt like it had shed 50hp on some days and felt like it gained 300hp on others.

I reckon cars reflect the mood of the driver. If I oversleep and run late for work, the car is equally grumpy and unresponsive. If I'm on time and in a good mood, she's a Flymotastic flying machine 8)

And Rain......oh how mine tears holes in the horizon in thick, rainy air!

I'm going to write to weather.com and request 0 degrees ambient and dense, moist air all year round.

I never knew you had mk2 16v fiestas

as far as I knew they all ran those CVH engines,

your corrado shold hump it

Well, Mk-somthing-old , its defo a standard 16v, possibly a Si. He chucks it about like a go-kart, its brilliant fun on tight twisties on the slow stuff; burns out of corners very well upto say 60 (9.2), then yes I imagine the 16v-C would "hump" it beyond that LOL

Ford Fiesta 16v pic CLICK - now you know what I meant.

So yeh, by all means you can put stuff like that in thier place after 60, but then you've got all these modern cars to contend with - poor little 16ver. Cant wait for summer, windows and roof open, going for a brisk drive; scare the outlaws and mates gf. Then dodge all family events for a blast on the bike - come on summer.

I'm going to write to weather.com and request 0 degrees ambient and dense, moist air all year round.

:lol: It would seem that my Golf doesn't like the rain and flat out refuses to start in it...

Had a burn with a Mitsubishi FTO, mine had 4 Porsche wheels with tyres, plus another with no tyre as extra ballast in the back. We were very evenly matched to around 90 when I backed off.

My mates F reg £250 bargain off ebay Mk2 Golf 16v which had not run for two years, till we bought it and found mice had chewed through the fuel pump power cables. Scarely in second from 30 to 60, evenly matached again. I reckon I'd get the better of him in 3rd gear.

A friends Seat Leon Cupra 180bhp, interesting one this, beacuse I used to own one. I thought I'd be left behind, but no my C is a match for it.

Them 180bhp Leons aren't actually that fast They don't seem like 180bhp to me.

It was a match for my valver with 162bhp, so it probably would beat a std valver. My Leon felt way faster than my C. Never had it on a dyno, but you can roughly calculate the power by measuring the airflow reading from the maf, it calculated at around 192 bhp.

3rd in a Corrado is just magical though

Mine goes well in 3rd too. 1st is good if you balance the throttle and don't let it wheelspin, 2nd always feels dissapointing, then after that it does feel like a quick car.

Your engine must be pretty sweet I reckon. Certainly has a healthy output!

I try not to get into too many races these days as I'm paranoid about my license, but some chief in a Civic Type R was just begging for a Haywire Hammering the other day.

A pair of your typical mid 20s over confident knobbers in the Civic pushing me along the outside lane at 70 about 6" off my bumper. I could hear from his ridiculous induction kit that he was hovering around the 6000rpm VTEC zone in a low gear ready to pounce, so I duly retorted with a drop to 4th....smack into charger zone :-) As the car in front pulled over, I floored it and the Civic fell back rapidly and had no chance in hell of catching up, so I slowed down and let them pass, point proven. They crept past sheepishly at 90, no longer chuckling to themselves and holding eachother's c0cks like they were when trying it on earlier :-)

I think that is the most satisfying aspect of those type of tussles, the fact I'm in an unassuming old VW and they just don't expect to be wasted by it! But I do have a slight advantage ;-)

I try not to get into too many races these days as I'm paranoid about my license, but some chief in a Civic Type R was just begging for a Haywire Hammering the other day.

Not bad is it. Its just about to role over to 160,000 miles with no bottom end work as far as I know. It's had new stem seales, but not guides, and a few d.i.y mods. It runs like a dream, I set the mixture up as per bosch instructions, just passed it's mot with similar CO and lower HC than my dads Mk4 Golf! It runs a standard gsf CAT too. Got to say the Leon was hardest to keep with, but the old valver was howling it's way round to almost 7k rpm and coming up with the goods.

This is what makes me love VWs, I've given every car I've owned (all VAG) some real greef and the engines never ever let go. If they did I would not dare complain.

I agree about getting involved in races though, not the cleverest thing, but it is fun as long as you don't get carried away and try to push harder than what you are comfortable with.

Also had a go with a Fiesta ST on a duel carriage way from a roundabout to about 75mph, when I was gradually creeping ahead and thought point made, time to back off.

It seems to me,that mainly Golf drivers actively initiate a race with me.This has happened a few times recently.One in particular goaded me.Driving on the dual carriageway on the way to work,I was on the inside lane doing 50 or so.This mug in his Mk4 Gti(why is it always a Mk4 Gti?) slows up beside me on the outside.I ignored him for roughly a nanosecond.I was late for work(as usual)and in a foul mood,so just dropped into 3rd and lit a cigar.

From previous experience with the Gti,I knew I'd have him.And reassuringly I left him behind.

This kind of thing has happened on numerous occasions,and I've been on the receiving end(Porsche 928,Saab Aero,chavved Prelude)more often than not.The grim realisation on their face that they've been 1995'ed is always the most satisfying moment for me.And my rear mirror.

Bear in mind that its pretty easy to open up quite a significant amount of power from MK4 GTI's for not a lot of cash. The 1.8T's in some of them are very tunable! One day it might be you in the GTI's rear view mirror! ;)

A pair of your typical mid 20s over confident knobbers in the Civic pushing me along the outside lane at 70 about 6" off my bumper. I could hear from his ridiculous induction kit that he was hovering around the 6000rpm VTEC zone in a low gear ready to pounce, so I duly retorted with a drop to 4th....smack into charger zone :-) As the car in front pulled over, I floored it and the Civic fell back rapidly and had no chance in hell of catching up, so I slowed down and let them pass, point proven. They crept past sheepishly at 90, no longer chuckling to themselves and holding eachother's c0cks like they were when trying it on earlier :-)

I think that is the most satisfying aspect of those type of tussles, the fact I'm in an unassuming old VW and they just don't expect to be wasted by it! But I do have a slight advantage ;-)

Hahaha.. yeah.. must admit that your Corrado is a little more than a wolf in sheeps clothing. It must be more of a match for much heavier metal these days?

That was a lot of the fun with my old G60.. EVERYONE underestimated it.. but the midrange on it was so good. I surprised a rep in his Merc E320 quite comfortably and some guy in a shiny new BMW 325Ci... both quite rewarding as often Merc and BMW drivers assume themselves to be the quickest on the road.. so I guess an old J reg VW can be a bit of a shock when its not leaving your rear view mirror at all ;)

:lol: It makes me smile. The noise it makes reminds me of the old Audi A4 touring cars when its reving hard.

It's not got too much mid range grunt unlike your G60, but once you hit 4000 rpm it really comes alive. I had to be very on the ball to keep with the Leon, they have tons of mid range power, so are a bit easier to keep at a quick pace.

It seems to me,that mainly Golf drivers actively initiate a race with me.(why is it always a Mk4 Gti?)

Tell me about it; the old Mk2's sometimes give a little smile or nodd; but the nobrainer Mk4's always try it on - which the old 16v must bow down & take it; just a tad jelous of you VR6's

You'd be surprised what tried to go past on the way to work. My pet hate is the people (mostly women) that ease past on the duel carriageway at about 10mph above the limit the cut across your bonnett just before the roundabout (several along this stretch) and slam on the brakes to an almsot stop, to look. Whilst I have to pop into the outer lane so I can trundle through without stopping at the usually empty roundabout; floor it and wait for them to ease past about a mile later; rinse & repeat!

You never get raced on a bike ;)

Had a look at that Pic Stu its a big bumper Si

mk3 fiesta quite nice,It may have a zetec under the hood.

Oh on saturday I was laughing at a guy in a 2.5 volvo

4.5k on the rev counter and off she goes,not bad for a standard 144bhp

At times like that I do wish for more poke ;-)